Newbie suggestion

ccw62

Up front: I am a newbie and am using CCleaner (portable) just once in a while only.

Now, if my memory serves me well, I made the below mistake in the past as well.

I know, this is quite stupid, but I guess I donot use CCleaner regularly enough to remember it, or, whilst busy going thru all the different components of CCleaner, it simply happened.

I donot CCleaner, I am the only one to blame. Period.

That said,it is nonetheless pretty frustating... :

in the de-selecting process I -regretfully- overlooked the 2nd tab [Applications]

Therefore I lost quite a lot of settings (such as MRU's) and have to set them them back, one by one.

Again, it is my mistake, I only paid attention to the first tab.

Q: I wonder whether it would be possible to include some kind of 'protection' or 'backup' (or whatever), default enabled, so users may be able to re-instate all, or selected items?

Or (but that would be a total overhaul) have all items deselected by default and users have to select what they want, i.e. it is then by default a user's decision what to clean instead of CCleaner's decision.

Thanks,

=

• Moderators

Or (but that would be a total overhaul) have all items deselected by default and users have to select what they want, i.e. it is then by default a user's decision what to clean instead of CCleaner's decision.

+1, good idea.

the forum gets (often enough) newbies that are surprised when their browser tabs or Office recent docs or online passwords are removed.

your suggestion would then put the onus on the user to tick whatever they wanted and the consequences being totally through their actions.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

+1

I'm actually surprised it doesn't install like that for a first-use with nothing already enabled.

• Moderators

I disagree. Most new users of software (in my opinion) would expect to have some sort of default settings to assist them on first use when they are not yet familiar with the software. CC's defaults are quite reasonable and do not include any password removal or other 'dangerous' options.

I can imagine what would happen if all options were deselected on install. Ninety percent of users would swear and move on to another application. The other 10% would bombard the forum with What should I check? questions.

If you've used CC then you have your options saved. In the O/P's case having the default as unselected would not have helped as it was the previous selections that caused the problem.

• Moderators

The other 10% would bombard the forum with What should I check? questions.

A link to open the docs site shown immediately on first-use could "remedy that to some degree," but people already ask "what should I check."

Mostly agree with ccw62.

And thanks to ccw62 for being so polite and straightforward about it.

Imho it is better for a user to wonder what to check than to wonder how to get his stuff back.

I remember one poster who deleted a custom sandbox because it was checked by default. Ugh.

Maybe some sort of warning. At least before first use.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
I remember one poster who deleted a custom sandbox because it was checked by default. Ugh.

Sandboxie - in CC - is unchecked by default.

I remain unmoved. As an example I've just been trying Truecrypt. Instead of puzzling over which option I should choose, and not having the knowledge to choose, I just sailed through the defaults. Easy (and excellent it is too). When I first ran CC all those years ago, I used the defaults.

What use is a piece of software if you have to spend hours on a forum asking questions, which can't really be answered as we're all different, before you can run it? Nah. Defaults are there to make the software useable, now.

• Moderators

I agree with Augeas here. I think the defaults we have now are the best way to go.

If you have everything unticked as the default after install, pointing towards the docs isn't going to do much to help the average new user.

CCleaner is listed as an 'easy to use software', if everything is unticked at install I don't think it could be classed as that any longer.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Aaahhh geeeze. OK. I stand corrected...

Sandboxie is not checked by default...just reinstalled CCleaner to check... I would have bet on that one...

In the face of such heavy opposition, I must yield.

Slinks off, head down, to lie down on the couch...

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

>whew< Mind isn't completely gone yet. Thanks, Hazelnut.

login123 get up off the couch
I hear that a lot these days. :P

Fwiw, I just noticed that on this fresh installation of CCleaner, every registry box is checked.

Fwiw, I just noticed that on this fresh installation of CCleaner, every registry box is checked.

That is because the purpose of registry cleaning is to add a little excitement to the life of the bored :P