Defraggler takes forever...what's up?

DeanD

I purchased defraggler pro and I am using it on a 2 week old computer thinking that a drive optimization would take maybe 10 minutes. This thing has been running for 15 hours and is only 26% done. What's it doing to my brand new computer. I've run both MS Defrag and Norton Defrag before and I have never seen an Optimizer take this long. Needless to say I'm very concerned since this is a new computer and have already spent hours personalizing it...The last thing I need is for this computer to get all messed up and have to spend hours with Dell Tech support trying to fix what Defraggler may be actually doing to my drive. I can understand if this had been an old, slow computer that was never optimized but that's not the case here. The program currently shows 30% fragmentation and remaining time >1 day to optimize my C drive. Is the normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Moderators

Hi Dean and welcome to the forum. As you did pay for it, you are entitled to priority support via the developers if you email the address given in support on the main site. I think you can also request a ticket there, but like you i'm currently on tapatalk* so can't check right now. If you still wish the help of the userbase afterwards feel free to come back, but this seems best ask to them. I hope this is not an ssd drive as you should never defragment them. Did you have defrag free space checked. It's best (especially when you contact the developers) to provide as much information as possible (size of drive, OS version) 30% fragmentation isn't that bad and you should be able to cancel defraggler with no issue. Do you have file history, or shadow copy of any sort, turned on in the operating system?

Please though, contact support for help before answering any of my questions.

FOOTNOTES: *Though not here, some forums will give you guff for leaving the "from tapatalk" signature turned on, you may wish to think about turning it off

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hi Nergal..thanks for the response. I did email with customer support and they really didn't answer my question. I have used Optimizer programs before to defrag my drive and never has it taken a day to accomplish..especially a brand new computer. It did finally finish up and things seem to be working fine. As for the drive..would you know if the Dell XPS 27 has a SSD? Also you mentioned something about turning off the Tapatalk signature..how do I do that. I'm new to forums and just trying to figure them out.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also experiencing this (with the free version). I left it defragging a 30/40% fragmented 2TB volume overnight (8+ hours) and it was only at 40% complete in the morning. It also said there was >1 day left. I looked at the disk utilisation (active time) in task manager and it was at about 30%. I cancelled the operation and tried using another free defrag solution, it is using 100% disk active time and has reached 10% in only minutes.

I'm running Windows 8.1 (clean install just last week) and the drive is a 2TB WD Caviar Green.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks.

That's the problem, WD Green is the worst hard drive out there. I suggest you get a new hard drive from Seagate, as the drives from WD are very slow espically green drives. I suggest you go to list of files fragmented and click all and do that. Otherwise it would take to long.

• Moderators

The fact the HD is Green should have no bearing on it's speed.

@DeanD and @MK_Matt only mention DF as being slow, not the OS in general. And both have new installs, it would seem, with no other issues.

The WD Green range simply means the drive is made from eco-friendly materials and uses less power.

(perhaps @DeanD can reply with his HD brand)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

@MK_Matt doesn't state laptop or desktop.

since i believe they don't yet make 2TB hd's for laptops, it should be a desktop pc, so therefore it's a 7200rpms as they haven't made 5400's for ages in the 3.5" form factor.

and now we are off-topic and talking about hd's instead of the OP issue.

perhaps a Mod can split this thread into two.

edit: took a few sites to check, even 2 official WD sites didn't mention the rpms in the tech specs of the Caviar Green range.

finally found something on my 3rd review site (http://techreport.com/review/15769/western-digital-caviar-green-hard-drive) that mentions (without explaining how they know) that the spindle rate varies but performance is still on par with Seagate 7200rpm drives. (that review is now 5yrs old).

although the Green's may sometimes spin slower, their performance doesn't seem to suffer - and I've learnt something new about WD Green drives today - so a good day. :)

and apologies to @Hinata and @eL_PuSHeR for doubting them. :unsure:

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thanks for the replies guys.

It is a desktop PC and my main drive is an SSD, so performance of my storage drive doesn't need to be to of the line. Also, as @mta noted, the performance of WD Green drives is actually pretty good.

Anyway, this is all besides the point. As I stated in my original post - the defrag speed was much quicker using a different defrag program, it ended up doing more in 1 hour than Defraggler did in 8 hours. This points to an issue with Defraggler and not my hard drive. It seems as though for whatever reason, Defaggler would only use 30% of my hard drive's transfer capacity, while the other defrag solution used 100%.

Could it be a compatibility problem with something else I have installed or with Windows 8.1?

I don't think it is a compatibility issue. Those of us who suffer from OCD disease (Obsessive Compulsive Defragging) like to test several defragmenting solutions, but it's not polite to talk about them here. Other than that it's not a great secret than Defraggler regular defrag has always been slow when compared to other defragmenters. That's why I usually run quick defrag or defrag manually from the file list. And speed isn't everything. I prefer Defraggler against other defragmentation tools just because of its tidy clean interface, low weight, low disk requirements, it's not intrusive for the system, etc...