BSOD loop Win7-64 because of Boot-Time-Defrag

darkulX

My system runs into a Bluescreen STOP 0x7B after I chose Boot-Time-Defrag.

Now I can't boot anymore, even not in Safe Mode.

Is there a way to edit the system somehow to prevent the Boot-Time-Defrag from starting?

I have no System Restore Point due to personal idiocy :)

Is there a nice helper out there?

Hello darkulX and welcome to the forum. Is this the error you encountered? http://pcsupport.abo...p0x0000007b.htm

If you can't start Windows or enter Safe Mode, your options are very limited. I can only offer one suggestion, and I cannot make any promises that it will work. Did you try accessing System Recovery? Hold down or tap the "Escape" key immediately after pressing the power button. If Escape does not work, get out your manual and find out which key is used to access the Startup Menu (or system BIOS). You should see several options on the Startup Menu, one of them being System Recovery (It's F11 on my machine, but may be different on yours). It may take a minute or two before the System Recovery menu appears. One of the options in the System Recovery menu should be Repair Windows Startup (or similar wording). This is the procedure to follow if you have a recovery partition installed on your hard drive by the manufacturer.

If not, then you need the Windows 7 DVD set you used for installation. Instructions how to start recovery and repair Windows startup using this option are here: http://pcsupport.abo...rtup-repair.htm

Edit: After reading that first link in it's entirety (you should as well), I think your problem extends beyond any settings you made with Defraggler. The list is long and some of it is pretty ugly. I would suggest starting at the beginning and working your way to the end in order to find the solution to the problem.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

The problem is that I even have no safemode menu to choose all those options. So I cannot choose "Last Known Good ... "

Maybe a problem is that there was GRUB on the system to start a Linux partition or the Windows partition.

fixmbr killed GRUB but didn't help with the safemode menu. The only option menu I get is the "Startup Repair" and "Start Windows normal" menu.

No F8 working after that. Always trying to startup Win7 which results in the BSOD after a few seconds (2-6 seconds) which means relatively early in the Win7 booting process.

I tried:

- booting into safemode minimal by using BCDEDIT bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal but all I got was the same BSOD 0x7B.

- bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot also did no job for me, problem persisted.

- used a Win7-64 SP1 DVD to use Startup Repair. Problems couldn't be fixed by this tool.

- even installed a new BIOS to circumvent a boot option menu and activate F8. Also to no avail.

Next steps:

- virus search with Rescue CDs

- repair installation (if possible)

@Derek891

How To Fix STOP 0x0000007B Errors

1. Done.

2. No. Except after the BSOD occured checked if AHCI was on/off and changed that twice. Doesn't matter.

3. No SCSI chain

4. HD accessible through Linux or Startup repair. So properly installed

5. As you can see, one of my steps right now is a virus search.

6. Never changed the HD controller driver which always worked

7. IDE is on in BIOS

8. chkdsk /f /r ran without errors.

9. Not yet done, this extensive HD test.

10. fixmbr tried as you can see in the above post.

11-12. New BIOS, Load Default, no help

13. No new controller firmware available

14. Repairing the Windows installation is the last step I'll try.

15. Clean installation is the option which is no option as long as others work.

Hello darkluX

I see you've been busy, and I'm glad you read the link I provided, but I think we need to re-boot this entire thread. In your first post, you made no mention of dual booting between Win7x64 and an unnamed Linux OS. I had assumed that Win7x64 was the only OS on your machine, and offered advice based on that alone. In light of this new information, I think it would be wise to start all over again.

1.) The make and model of your machine. And specifically, does it support UEFI/EFI boot? Does it support both UEFI boot and Legacy boot in BIOS? (Some mfg's refer to Legacy boot as CSM Mode)

2.) Did your original Win7x64 installation (prior to installing Linux) boot using UEFI enabled in BIOS? Or did you use Legacy boot?

3.) Were you successfully booting Win7x64 and Linux prior to this problem? Or did it occur after you installed Linux and tried to boot for the first time? Or do you think that enabling boot time defrag using Defraggler is where your problems first appeared?

4.) Your situation now is: You cannot boot either Windows or Linux? Or you cannot boot Windows but can still boot Linux?

5.) Which Linux OS are you using? I ask because there are some that are 64 bit but do not work well with UEFI boot. (I found this was the case with Vector Linux for example.) Trying to install any of these could create the problems you're having.

6.) **Skip this-go to #7-I got ahead of myself here** You are aware of the difference between MBR and GPT partitioning, as well as how it relates to setting up the boot partition, correct? Here's an article to read that explains it far better than I can: http://rodsbooks.com...sk/booting.html Read every article you can find written by Rod Smith. He is one of the best references when dealing with UEFI boot and dual boot problems. http://www.rodsbooks...ders/index.html

7.) You mentioned trying the bootrec command, but I think there's more to using it than you describe. Try it again, but read this carefully before using: http://pcsupport.abo...ore-windows.htm

I'm sorry to hear that using Startup Repair didn't work out for you. I'm guessing that your priority is to get Windows up and running(#7), then attempt to get your Linux OS to boot as well(#6). The info from Rod Smith is a big help there.

Post back once you digest everything I threw at you and figure out some of the answers. Don't give up hope, at least not yet.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

1. and 2. no UEFI/EFI. It's a board built in 2009, I guess. (I talked about me, but it is my brother's PC).

3. Yes, all worked well with the dual boot system. We suspect Puran Boot Defrag to be the reason for the crashes now. Linux still worked.

4. Yes, no Windows but Linux.

5. Oh, I guess some Mandriva derivate.

6. Almost aware, have to read it again or more precisely, thx.

7. Ok, maybe I did that also too fast and not precisely enough with bootrec.

Yes, the priority is Windows. But I have to say the time to analyze it was too much for my brother. I was not there today and he did either a repair installation of Win7 or a clean installation, so the whole case is closed even if I would have liked to find the reason behind all this.

Thx to all for your detailed help.

Cheers