Unable to recover files from SD card - card lost format?

RudeJoe

I have a 4 gig micro SD card that I keep in my BlackBerry for data storage. Today my BB gave me a message:

"A media card has been inserted that is not formatted. Do you wish to format the media card now?"

I've had this card in my phone(s) for 3 years or so and have been using it to store everything (images taken with the camera, documents, etc.). As always seems to happen, I have not backed up this card for quite some time.

I searched for a recovery utility, found Recuva and decided to give it a try. Unfortunately it seems it can't help me. I get this message when I try to scan: Failed to scan the following drives: F: unable to determine file system type.

Anyone have any experience recovering files on a drive that supposedly lost its formatting? TIA

• 2 weeks later...

exactly what happened to me yesterday. :) ...so it is really a MUST to somehow "delete" all data and recuva will recover them later.... a weird logic that I've been trying to tell my brain...

my story: around 2 months ago, lost my C drive due to my kid turned off the laptop while it's updating nVidia driver. and yesterday the 16GB microsd that powers up my android phone suddenly won't get recognized, I can't get my phone's keyboard. I tried a recovery program, not sure what it's called (found it through google) something recover data? it found lots but it won't let me save (the prog documentation stated that it supposed to show an option everytime the SAVE button is pressed, but mine just greyed out for a while and come back).... so I tried RECUVA, works well on the lost C drive, but exact same scenario on the micro sd card. been pondering all night whether to QUICK FORMAT the sdcard or not, because of that weird logic of having to delete something that you want to save.... heheheh...

and actually I have a question. RECUVA reads all the broken files and what not. but that's not what I want to save, as I have to pop the recovery CD and let it work to get the C drive to work again. I want all the "not damaged" files. do I need to format too?

oh well... thanks!

EDIT: just did a quick format.... and "no files are found" :o:blink: ...my TB backups!! *CRY CRY CRY*

• Moderators

Hi RudeJoe, and welcome to Piriform.

If you had just waited, I would have suggested making a back up "Image" of your 16GB MicroSD with USB Image Tool before trying to quick format.

USB Image Tool:

Then if it didn't work out you could "restore" the image and try something else.

Just to put you in the picture about quick formatting, which seems odd when you are trying to recover data, what it does is initialize the file system again, and tells the master file table that the space your files occupy is now available to be overwritten without actually overwriting the files themselves.

So a quick format can be a good way to get a drive and it's file system recognized again by recovery programs. It's also very important not to use that drive at all to prevent that newly allocated space being overwritten.

Back to your situation. Did you select "Scan For Non Deleted Files" in "Options\Actions", as it's likely your cards bootsectors are screwed up although your files haven't actually been deleted.

Give that a try, and if not successful, try a "Deep Scan" with the same setting.

Edited by DennisD
Changed to OP's name in 1st line.

• 1 month later...
When you delete photos or folders using Data Recovery, they are sent to the the Trash (Mac). If you haven't emptied the Trash (Mac), follow steps to ***********

It will analyze and preview a list of recoverable files and folders that you can recover. ONLY once you see that your lost files are recoverable, proceed to complete your deleted file recovery.

Read more:***********

spam links removed by moderator

• Moderators

When you delete photos or folders using Picasa they are sent to the the Trash (Mac). If you haven't emptied the Trash (Mac), follow steps to recover your deleted photos on Mac.
It will analyze and preview a list of recoverable files and folders that you can recover. ONLY once you see that your lost files are recoverable, proceed to complete your deleted file recovery.

Huh? :blink:   What's a Mac got to do with the OP's problem...

and for that matter, no-one has mentioned Picasa before either.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Apologies to amendalus if I'm wrong . . . this might be a genuine effort to help.

But it might be spam, also.  If not, it is at least a link to a competing data recovery app. 

I went to the link and downloaded those files.  No warnings from avast. 

No mention that I could find of a price, also no statement that the software is free. 

Not going to install those. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

with more than 6 months gone I think @RudeJoe has found a solution or accepted his fate.

Edited by Augeas
Previous post - now gone - from a spammer.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.