image files cannot be opened - state excellent

Cirno

I used recuva to recover some image files that where deleted only moments before hand, my SSD is set not use recycling bin, recuva shows up the images have no overwritten clusters and are in excellent state, the images show up in the folder i selected for recovery as their original size and name fine and properties shows that they are their proper format like jpg, but these errors accure for each program

windows photo viewer-

windows photo viewer can't open this picture because the file appears to be damaged, corrupted, or is too large.

Paint-

Paint cannot rath this file.

XnView-

Firmat for the file <name> could not be determined

InfanView-

name: Can't read file header ! Unknown file format, emty file or file not found !

Photosho CS6 ex-

Could not compleate request because a JPEG market segment length is to short (the file may be truncated or incompleate).

Welcome to forum.

On what physical drive and partition letter were these files before deletion ?

To what physical drive and partition letter have you restored these files ?

What version of Windows ?

Welcome to forum.

On what physical drive and partition letter were these files before deletion ?

To what physical drive and partition letter have you restored these files ?

What version of Windows ?

sorry for the late reply

the drive in witch they where recovered from is a Crucial M4 SSD what uses drive letter C and is 120GB

the drive i had the recovery copies sent to was on a Hitachi HDD drive letter D with a size of 1TB

the operating system that i am using is win7(64x) Ul. edition SP1 with all recent updates installed

Thanks for the update which covers the basics.

I have no relevant experience with image files so will now retreat and leave it for those who can help to take it from here

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

Hi Cirno, and welcome to Piriform.

Not that it will make a difference at this stage, but what file system are you running on your SSD?

For a number of reasons Image Files can be difficult to recover simply because they are compressed, and the way a file system stores them, and usually the problem is with the file header.

There's some useful information here about the subject, which contains referrences to just about all the errors you mention above.

http://www.impulsead...jpeg-photo.html

I think Recuva has done all it can do for you unfortunately, but rather than leave it at that, can I suggest that you try some alternative recovery programs which will probably bring up similar results, but as the important thing is recovering your photographs, they may be worth a try.

PhotoRec: (Free)

Lazesoft Recovery Suite Home Edition: (Free)

MiniTool® Power Data Recovery Free Edition: (1GB Limit)

iCare Data Recovery Free Edition: (2GB Limit)

If you do try some or all of these, I would appreciate some feedback as to whether you do in fact turn up similar negative results. The info would be useful.

Hope that helps.

:)

[]

thanks for the reply, the file system is NTFS, sadly i dont think i will be recovering my images i seem, but still thanks for the links, jpegsnoop didnt rely do much as everything came back with an error and stuff like soi issue, photorec just gave me a bunch of random text files i couldent figure what to do with i tried different things, icare was vary confusing to figure out and it kept showing me files that wernt deleted, i had truble with it to find where the actuall deleted files where all i could find was random files i couldent make out

• Moderators

Thanks for posting back, and I'm sorry you couldn't get you pics back. I hate to see that happen.

One final thought.

What about the hardware you used to take the pictures in the first place? Camera, phone etc. It's always worth scanning the original source even if they were taken some time ago. I don't want to get your hopes up, but you never know.

thanks for the reply, the file system is NTFS, sadly i dont think i will be recovering my images i seem, but still thanks for the links, jpegsnoop didnt rely do much as everything came back with an error and stuff like soi issue, photorec just gave me a bunch of random text files i couldent figure what to do with i tried different things, icare was vary confusing to figure out and it kept showing me files that wernt deleted, i had truble with it to find where the actuall deleted files where all i could find was random files i couldent make out

Did you try Lazesoft Recovery which has worked perfectly for me when Windows turned my Secondary HDD into "RAW DATA".