Who sells USB3 Portable drives with robust connectors.

Alan_B

I am looking for a portable external USB3 1 TB HDD,

and would be happy with one that used an extension lead that had full sized "A-Type" connectors at both ends.

I am concerned about the robustness of the mechanical attachment of the drive to its USB3 connector.

So far the majority that I have seen on-line do not specify the type,

and the only exception is one that says the extension lead is Type-A to Type-B.

I have only just started looking with no success, and do not wish to waste the rest of the month looking around.

Do the smaller 2.5" drives always come in slim enclosures that only accommodate miniature connectors ?

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

i've been using Vantec NexStar CX 2.5" enclosures for a while now, they use to have the mini-USB connector for the enclosure end but have now (about a year) have the cable with full sized type A's at both ends.

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/index/63

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I have two Seagate desktop USB storage devices, a 500 gb usb2 and a 2 tb usb3.

They are not portable in the sense that you can just drop them in a pocket and go out the door. They sit on the counter top. I actually prefer that type. I rarely need to travel with it, but it's no problem to do so. Neither one has a built in on-off switch, I wish they did. Both have the type A jack. I think, not sure, that when you go from type a to a mini, you lose some speed.

The smaller one cost about $150 US, the larger one about $100 US, since the price of storage has gone down over time.

Not exactly what you are looking for, maybe, but I know some things about them from experience, which I'll gladly share.

I bought the 2 tb device because I thought backup images would fill the 500 gb device, but thats not going to happen, I'll never fill it afaik. I vastly underestimated how big 500 gb is. The one issue I have not yet got a grip on is win7 images . . . they are really big files, but I haven't yet done enough with them to say for sure that the 2 tb device is worth the price.

The 500 gb drive is about 6 years old, still works like a champ. (Fingers crossed, stay away, jinx) It's quirky, sometimes doesn't show up in win explorer unless I unplug it, turn it off, and replug it, but it never has failed to start.

The 2 tb device is about 1.5 years old. It works fine on usb2 capable computers, but is waaaay faster on usb3 capable computers. Just finished copying the same folder to both devices. It took 4 or 5 minutes from the usb2 computer --> the usb3 drive, but less than 1 minute from the usb3 computer --> the usb3 drive. I used the same cable for this, usb 2 type, I think. Also, the drive is sturdy. I dropped it onto a hard floor, still works fine.

Some have reported on the 'net that these enclosed HDDs have heat issues, but that's never happened here.

One insight I'll share is the value of having extension cables permanently plugged in to the usb ports on your desktop. That allows you to plug a usb drive in without having to climb around on the furniture. More importantly, imho, it saves wear on the computer ports. I try to keep a computer as long as possible. This win xp computer is about 7 years old, and the ports have gotten sort of loose, due to wear, I think. If those go, there is no replacement available any more. Also, not all usb sticks are machined to the same dimensions. I have a couple that are noticeable harder to plug in than the others. Seems like that would harm the usb ports on the computer.

There is a really good info site about USB generally at:

http://www.l-com.com/content/USB-Tutorial.html

Edited by login123

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I think, not sure, that when you go from type a to a mini, you lose some speed.

as long as you stick to the right cable for the right port, you are fine.

for example, USB2 type a, b, mini and micro are all get the same speed, despite the connectors at the ends.

however, using a USB2 cable in a USB3 port and/or device, will only give you USB2 speeds (officially) since the USB2 cable doesn't have the extra internal pairs of wire required for true USB3 speeds.

but having been caught short, i have used a usb2 cable on a usb3 external HD and noticed the speeds weren't as good as usb3 but were better than usb2 (but file transfer speeds are highly dependant on file sizes, type, etc for that one off time to be of any significance)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thanks for that clarification, mta. I did notice substantial speed difference w/ the same cable. Probably would be more pronounced if it was a usb3 cable, right?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.