CD Burner

JohnDemolition

right now i am in need of a good CD Burner for my computer. previously i used Nero 6 but i didnt like it because of the fact that it was so bloated(it took about 1GB out of my HD's free space). so right now im searching for a new one because i dont like using Windows XP's built one and Windows Media Player(because the burning doesnt work even if use the Nero Burning Plugin or not). right now im thinking of using CDBurnerXP Pro but i think i'll wait untill the .NET version becomes stable(i love the .NET Framework :))

Audio CD burning only

Burrrn:

Can create audio CD's from already compressed audio files like .mp3, .ogg, and some formats you may have never heard about, even uncompressed .wav. I highly recommend Burrrn. You won't find any easier way to quickly burrrn an audio CD, and you won't have to go through any options/settings to do so since it's all on the easy-to-use main GUI window. Whatsmore Burrrn automatically creates gapless audio CD's without 2 second gaps which is extremely useful because you'll never forget to enable such an option. Note: Burrrn only creates audio CD's!

Data CD burning/and audio CD burning

Burnatonce:

Can do data, however you'll need to download ProDVD do burn DVD's with it. It can also do audio CD's like Burrrn however there's more steps in the creation of an audio CD using Burnatonce, and you have to manually enable the option to create gapless audio CD's without 2 second gaps.

DeepBurner Free:

The audio CD's it creates won't be gapless even if enabling the option for your burner drive, I tested it's ability to create a gapless CD and it doesn't work it will instead place 1.70 second gaps inbetween the tracks instead of the standard 2 second gaps. With that being said it could have been something to do with my system and the writer drive I used. It's ability to create data CD's is however very good, and it's what I use on my old Win98 system to create backup CD-RW's with.

CDBurnerXP Pro:

I found it to be a bit bloated when compared to Burnatonce and DeepBurner, however so as to not sound bias I'll let someone who actually uses it commit on it.

From this post, i personally would recommend Burrrn for audio and Buratone for data.

so right now im searching for a new one because i dont like Windows Media Player(because the burning doesnt work even if use the Nero Burning Plugin or not).

I don't understand why WMP doesn't work. I've never had a problem with it (and I don't use a Nero Burning Plugin).

I've tried all that englishman suggested, and WMP is still my favorite.

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

To burn data files you should only need to copy and/or paste the data to your CD-RW drive > Then put in a CD > click file > write to CD. You're done.

I've never tried anything with DVD's.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

To burn data files you should only need to copy and/or paste the data to your CD-RW drive > Then put in a CD > click file > write to CD. You're done.

I've never tried anything with DVD's.

Yeah, but using Windows XP built-in CD burner offers you zero options, plus, it uses the dreaded wizard!

And you can try with DVDs all you want, but Windows XP doesn't support DVD burning, and it probably never will. Built-in DVD burning comes with Vista, so they'll probably leave it out of XP to make you want to switch over.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

That works if you on xp and that is not really convenient either.

Maybe I didn't use burnatonce correctly because it didn't seem more convenient than XP's process. I'll check it out again, and see what I missed.

Thanks

K

Yeah, but using Windows XP built-in CD burner offers you zero options, plus, it uses the dreaded wizard!

And you can try with DVDs all you want, but Windows XP doesn't support DVD burning, and it probably never will. Built-in DVD burning comes with Vista, so they'll probably leave it out of XP to make you want to switch over.

You're silly. You can disable "dreaded wizards".

I personally don't worry about DVD burning. Good point about VISTA.

k

I HATE WIZARDS!!

How do you burn a CD with Windows without using the wizard? You can disable some wizards, but I don't know what the Windows alternative to a data CD burning wizard is.

ding, ding!

I don't understand why WMP doesn't work. I've never had a problem with it (and I don't use a Nero Burning Plugin).

I've tried all that englishman suggested, and WMP is still my favorite.

K

it when it finishes "converting" all the media files, it starts to do the burning. the problem is that it burns some of the files but then stops and says that there's an error with the CD. i know it's a problem with WMP because other programs burn the CDs just fine.

anyways for right now im sticking with CDBurnerXP Pro. it seems to offer a lot of options.

I HATE WIZARDS!!

How do you burn a CD with Windows without using the wizard? You can disable some wizards, but I don't know what the Windows alternative to a data CD burning wizard is.

I've never used the data CD burning wizard in XP. And I understand why you hate wizards, I just wanted to pick on you.

WHY ARE YOU USING CAPS IN THE FORUM? :)

K

BECAUSE WIZARDS TAKE ME TO MY UNHAPPY PLACE!!!! DEATH TO WIZARDS, GOSH DARNIT!!!

ding, ding!

BECAUSE WIZARDS TAKE ME TO MY UNHAPPY PLACE!!!! DEATH TO WIZARDS, GOSH DARNIT!!!

LOL Simmer down no wizards taking to to your unhappy place

Oh, good. The only wizard I like is Gandalf; he takes me to my happy place.

ding, ding!

• Moderators

I completely loathe WinXP's built-in CD burner. Sure it may be a quick and easy way to write a handful of files to a disc however it has problems, such as not finalizing discs, not being about to full erase discs, not being able to write some files to a CD.

I've seen it complain more than enough about not being able to write some files to a disc, but it inconveniently never says which ones it can't write which isn't very helpful. Also it's slowww because it copies all files to be written to the disc into it's own CD Burning folder which is retarded, I honestly don't understand why it doesn't just create a .tmp filelist of where the files are located in the user or global temp folder instead of copying tons of files.

I completely loathe WinXP's built-in CD burner. Sure it may be a quick and easy way to write a handful of files to a disc however it has problems, such as not finalizing discs, not being about to full erase discs, not being able to write some files to a CD.

Good! I'm not the only one who hates it. I had it literally make a CD-RW unusable! I used it to burn a few files onto a brand new RW, and it crashed or something in the middle of it (I don't remember what the exact issue was), but anyway I tried several different burning apps to attempt to erase the disc, and it just didn't work; the apps all acted like there was no disc!

ding, ding!

...but when i do burn cds, the record now with my xp seems ok...

Do you mean Sonic RecordNow? That doesn't come with XP (although if you are using a Dell or something like that, they probably threw it in with the software package).

Actually, I thought I read somewhere that the built-in data CD burner in XP uses software originally written by Roxio. Don't remember where I saw that though...

ding, ding!

Good! I'm not the only one who hates it. I had it literally make a CD-RW unusable! I used it to burn a few files onto a brand new RW, and it crashed or something in the middle of it (I don't remember what the exact issue was), but anyway I tried several different burning apps to attempt to erase the disc, and it just didn't work; the apps all acted like there was no disc!

i accually did that too. i needed the CD for school so that i could copy all my music to the comp at school. but then i couldnt access it neither on the iMac at school or at home. i also noticed that the filesystem of the CD is RAW instead of ISO which is what it is supposed to be.

• Moderators

Actually, I thought I read somewhere that the built-in data CD burner in XP uses software originally written by Roxio. Don't remember where I saw that though...

It is from Roxio.

Just be glad they didn't put the whole Easy CD/DVD package on the hdd because if they did you'd really be pissed with WinXP's CD recording. :P

Unrecognizable, unerasable DVD+RW's is the reason why I no longer use DVD+RW discs on my system, RecordNow has allot of problems with them which I suspect is because it can't full erase them or something else.

Discs that seem destroyed can be erased again, but here's the trick:

You have to be using some CD recording software that you can click Erase (Quick or Full) before Windows trys to recognise the disc and deems it invalid, etc. Good luck because it's extremely difficult to time properly. My version of RecordNow has a one click Erase button which makes it a little easier to accomplish.

Do you mean Sonic RecordNow? That doesn't come with XP (although if you are using a Dell or something like that, they probably threw it in with the software package).

Yeah you're right about that, and from what I read on MS support Roxio is the reason that people's D & E drives keep disappearing.

Yeah you're right about that, and from what I read on MS support Roxio is the reason that people's D & E drives keep disappearing.

Yeah, I used to use Roxio 6 (came with the notebook), and it really sucked. It was set up poorly, would ruin my disks just to get a rise out of me, and was absolutely terrible for making custom audio CDs!

The only thing that I did like about Roxio is that it would burn a CD, and then refresh and register the new information on that CD without you having to open and close your CD drive. If you burn with Nero, Windows won't recognize the new disk until you open/close the drive. Kind of a nuisance.

ding, ding!

Well I have used Ashampoo Burn Studio 5 for a few years now from it original release up to its new ver. 6 to be released Feb. 15th It.s pre-order sell is still just $15.00 but you can download a free 30 day trial of version 5 to test out or buy Ver. 6 and get 5 free. I have only had 2 problems with the program one was just a media error and the other was when I installed a new drive had a writing error but the program has a email error reporting feature and after sending it to the programer I received the fix the very next day with instructions as to where to place it in the program files which fixed both errors and have had no problems since. It's a very simple program not alot of crap to figure out how to use and set up. The program uses the KISS theory I use it alot It even supports Blu-Ray disk burners.

http://www.ashampoo.com