CAN?T RESTORE REGISTRY!

product53

System error 5: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256299/EN-US/

Permissions: Yes logon as administrator.

Are you using Windows 2000?

Hi Product53. Were you logged in as admin when you tried dial-a-fix...if not, that could be why it didn't work for you.

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

OK, now we?re getting somewhere?

I am using XP 5.1 Home / SP-2

I was logged on as admin. and disabled security apps for Dial a Fix.

Logged on as admin:

Typed: regsvr32 muweb.dll

Got: ?DllRegisterServer in muweb.dll succeeded.?

In CMD.EXE typed: net start WUAUSERV

Got:

?Requested service has already been started.?

In CMD.EXE typed: NET START

Got Same:

List of started services, also: ?The command was completed successfully.?

What do these things do?

OK, now we?re getting somewhere?

I am using XP 5.1 Home / SP-2

I was logged on as admin. and disabled security apps for Dial a Fix.

Logged on as admin:

Typed: regsvr32 muweb.dll

Got: ?DllRegisterServer in muweb.dll succeeded.?

In CMD.EXE typed: net start WUAUSERV

Got:

?Requested service has already been started.?

In CMD.EXE typed: NET START

Got Same:

List of started services, also: ?The command was completed successfully.?

What do these things do?

• Moderators

User profiles on WinXP can and do become broken as in the user profile's registry "HKCU" and perhaps some other things, it happened to me and my only solution after troubleshooting was going to be too time consuming and most likely wasn't even going to fix everything was to just create a new user profile. The new profile will of course initially need admin rights in order to copy all necessary files, e.g.; My Documents, etc., from the old profile into the new profile. I just deleted my old broken profile after I copied all my files.

User profiles on WinXP can and do become broken as in the user profile's registry "HKCU" and perhaps some other things, it happened to me and my only solution after troubleshooting was going to be too time consuming and most likely wasn't even going to fix everything was to just create a new user profile. The new profile will of course initially need admin rights in order to copy all necessary files, e.g.; My Documents, etc., from the old profile into the new profile. I just deleted my old broken profile after I copied all my files.

So deleting HKCR\WMPCD would cause that to happen?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Well, I finally gave up trying to pin this thing down, so I ran system restore? probably the best application Microsoft ever created. WMP: appears to be working fine? Microsoft Newsgroups: swimmingly.

Thanks to everyone for they?re time & effort. I started a merge with a CCleaner .reg file, but then stopped because I probably don?t need/want to try restore them now.

• Moderators

I haven't the foggiest ideal, but things in HKCR could be rebuilt simply by reinstalling the application that isn't working. What I was stating is that the registry itself HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER can go kaput on a user profile and be full of errors or missing data, etc., which is the reason I no longer use a horde of registry cleaners and only use CCleaner, EasyCleaner and RegSeeker with a big exlude list.

Well, I finally gave up trying to pin this thing down, so I ran system restore? probably the best application Microsoft ever created. WMP: appears to be working fine? Microsoft Newsgroups: swimmingly.

Thanks to everyone for they?re time & effort. I started a merge with a CCleaner .reg file, but then stopped because I probably don?t need/want to try restore them now.

In the future when you scan for issues look for WMPCD (HKCR\WMPCD) and uncheck it. It can't hurt, and it's what I do. ;)

I don't think WMPCD has anything to do with user accounts. I looked it up, and it appears to be entirely related to WMP, with no reason to affect your account. Plus, if CCleaner found it, it shouldn't have any relavance to anything, and next time it is needed, the WMPCD entry will just be recreated. I dunno, tell me if I'm wrong. Here is a link to what I found.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I don't think WMPCD has anything to do with user accounts. I looked it up, and it appears to be entirely related to WMP, with no reason to affect your account. Plus, if CCleaner found it, it shouldn't have any relavance to anything, and next time it is needed, the WMPCD entry will just be recreated. I dunno, tell me if I'm wrong. Here is a link to what I found.

I've read that link before, but I don't really understand. I suppose that I don't understand Andavari's post either because he said "HKCU" is user profile's history so I assumed that the two were related. I'm honestly not familiar with user profile's registry. I usually play around in all of the other parts.

I will do some research, and try to understand it better.