CAN?T RESTORE REGISTRY!

product53

When trying to restore the registry I get the following error message:

?Cannot import C:\Documents: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.?

This is very serious. I need to restore some of the files from the last time I ran CCleaner. I thought this thing was safe to use!?!?!?!

I need to restore some of the files from the last time I ran CCleaner. I thought this thing was safe to use!?!?!?!

You can't restore files with CCleaner, only registry entries. And CCleaner doesn't remove any necessary files, so if you computer is acting goofy due to deleted files, CCleaner is not the culprit.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

When I try to open Windows Media Player, the following error message appears:

?An internal application error has occurred.?

It has something to do with: ?Reregister Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll,? According to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831430#appliesto , - but these instructions are too vague.

Anyway, I try to avoid editing the registry manualy - I would perfer to have a safe application do it. That's why I use CCleaner in the firstplace.

Do you remember what registry keys you deleted? Did they have anything to do with Windows Media Player?

I would suggest downloading and reinstalling WMP. You can download version 10 here. But once again, I highly doubt CCleaner was the culprit, as I have used numerous versions of it, and never had any problems with it conflicting with other apps, including WMP.

ding, ding!

Yeah ccleaner didnt cause this...

Anyway use this to fix it:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...ial-a-fix.shtml

Download it and hit the green arrow. Then hit go. Let me know if that solves your problem.(make sure all other programs are closed while running it.)

Something funky is happening? Now IE is acting-up. I have been getting an ?error on page? message trying to view topics at Windows Newsgroups, and when I try to download DIAL A FIX I get: ?The page cannot be displayed?

Something funky is happening? Now IE is acting-up. I have been getting an ?error on page? message trying to view topics at Windows Newsgroups, and when I try to download DIAL A FIX I get: ?The page cannot be displayed?

Never mind.. I found a mirror for download.

Yeah ccleaner didnt cause this...

I was wondering if you could confirm a suspicion of mine. I've noticed when downloading things from Microsoft that if I 'run' instead of 'save - run' that the downloads sometimes go to the Temp folder. If a download ends up in a Temp folder would that cause problems like the one in this thread? CCleaner does clean up temp folders (right?)?

Thank you!

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

If a file is in use (for example, if the file is an installer and you are using it), I don't believe CCleaner will touch it. I know that Windows won't let you delete files that are in use, such as a song that is playing, or a picture that is being edited, and I think CCleaner runs under the same rules.

Plus, CCleaner will only clean out the Temp folder if you tell it to, and hopefully you aren't running CCleaner while you are installing an application! :D

ding, ding!

Why do I get an error message when I try to restore the registry backup that CCleaner created? Regardless of what caused the problem, I first detected it shortly after running CCleaner. If I am to troubleshoot properly, I need to undo CCleaner's changes to the registry. Presently this is not possible.

If a file is in use (for example, if the file is an installer and you are using it), I don't believe CCleaner will touch it. I know that Windows won't let you delete files that are in use, such as a song that is playing, or a picture that is being edited, and I think CCleaner runs under the same rules.

Plus, CCleaner will only clean out the Temp folder if you tell it to, and hopefully you aren't running CCleaner while you are installing an application! :D

Ha Ha Smart A**.

:D K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

When trying to restore the registry I get the following error message:

?Cannot import C:\Documents: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.?

Honestly, I've never gotten that message before, but if it is a file system or disk error, I do have one suggestion:

1. Open up My Computer, and right-click the drive that Windows is on (most likely "Local Disk (C:)")

2. Select Properties at the bottom of the list that comes up

3. Click the Tools tab in the window that appears

4. Click the Check Now button under the Error-checking section

5. Check both boxes and click Start

6. After choosing Yes, restart the computer, and let it run the scan

This will hopefully repair any disk/file system errors that you are encountering. Certainly worth a try!

Ha Ha Smart A**.

:D K

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

ding, ding!

He is right though krit86lr. :D

product53 hold off for a while, I'm waiting for a response from the creator of DAF if DAF will fix your problem.

Point taken. I bow to your wisdom o great one :lol:

K

• Moderators

A reason why merging a .reg file can fail is if the shell extension 'Merge' is broken and missing parameters.

Instead try to import the CCleaner .reg backup using the main Regedit GUI:

1. Start, run, type in regedit.exe

2. Click File->Import, browse the the .reg backup.

If this doesn't work you'll have to log onto your system as the System Administrator. If it still doesn't work try it as the System Administrator in Safe Mode, as you may have some sort of security software blocking the importing of .reg files.

• Moderators

Ok djlizard said that dial a fix does register both of those dlls. Turn off all security programs you have running(AV, spyware, ect) and make sure that your loged in as an admin. Then hit the green check mark and then go and see if it will work.(reboot after running it)

Ok djlizard said that dial a fix does register both of those dlls. Turn off all security programs you have running(AV, spyware, ect) and make sure that your loged in as an admin. Then hit the green check mark and then go and see if it will work.(reboot after running it)

I still get the same error message:

?There was an error while registering the object C:\WINDOWS\system32\muweb.dll (with flag(s): ?/?).?

Also, I cannot use Regedit to import the file. I get the following error message:

?Cannot import C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\regbkup.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.?

I still get the same error message:

?There was an error while registering the object C:\WINDOWS\system32\muweb.dll (with flag(s): ?/?).?

What happens if you click Start > Run > regsver32 muweb.dll ? This will register a .dll

K

What happens if you click Start > Run > regsver32 muweb.dll ? This will register a .dll

K

Im not really familure with the functionality of Regsvr32.exe. I typed "regsvr32 muweb.dll" and got "DllRegisterServer Failed." Typed: "Regsvr32.exe /muweb.dll" got: "Unrecognized flag: /muweb.dll"

Im not really familure with the functionality of Regsvr32.exe. I typed "regsvr32 muweb.dll" and got "DllRegisterServer Failed." Typed: "Regsvr32.exe /muweb.dll" got: "Unrecognized flag: /muweb.dll"

You need to type either (regsvr32 muweb.dll) or (muweb /RegServer), but not Regsvr32.exe /muweb.dll

Did you get Jscript.dll and/or Vbscript.dll reregistered?

I'll get back to you in a little while. Can you post your error codes? It could save some time.

product53, I need you to do a few more things really quick.

Start > Run > CMD.EXE

Okay now type "net start WUAUSERV" (without the quotations)

Stay in command promp and now type "NET START" (without quotations) This will display your active services. You have a service stopped somewhere that needs to be started. After that you can register all of your DLL's. But first you need to be able to connect to the Microsoft's Library.

I believe you're almost out of the woods.

Typed: regsvr32 muweb.dll

Got: ?DllRegisterServer in muweb.dll failed.

Return code was: 0x8007005?

Typed: muweb /RegServer

Got: ?Windows cannot find ?muweb?.?

In CMD.EXE typed: net start WUAUSERV

Got:

?System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.?

(I was not logged in as administrator. ?Should I be?)

In CMD.EXE typed: NET START

Got List of started services, also: ?The command was completed susseccfuly.?

(I was not sure what I was looking for here. It did not say anything about a stopped service or WUAUSERV)

In CMD.EXE typed: net start WUAUSERV

Got:

?System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.?

(I was not logged in as administrator. ?Should I be?)

System error 5: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256299/EN-US/

Permissions: Yes logon as administrator.

Are you using Windows 2000?