Drive Size (K) 305242 MBs

Drive Format (K) NTFS

Monitor Model Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Resolution 1600 x 1200 pixels

Monitor Screen Size 14.8 x 11.7 inches

18.9 inches (diagonal)

Monitor Manufacture Date August 2005

Monitor Serial Number 16843009

Installing Speccy wasn't a problem. Running it was. It slowed down so much I thought I was running a Pentium 166. Setting Speccy to show the CPU temp in the tray caused a BSOD. Upon rebooting, Kaspersky Internet Security wasn't running (couldn't start, databases corrupted).

Trying to download the Kaspersky uninstall tool failed. Message received was 'can not save file, file/directory corrupt'. That was trying to save to C. Saving to an external drive worked. Then found out that Windows was corrupt.

Tried to do a system restore (made one before installing Speccy). That failed. Windows reported errors on the drive and couldn't continue. A "refresh" of Windows failed, Windows was corrupted. Had to do a full "reset" of Windows.

This has happened twice. I had no choice but to do a full reset of Windows both times.

This is maddening, I'd like to use Speccy but will not put it back in until the solution is known.

• Moderators

Speccy doesn't 'alter' your machine in anyway when it is run, so something else must have been at play here as many users have Speccy on Win 8 without issues.

The devs read all posts so will see this.

( I wonder what would happen if Kaspersky wasn't running at the time?)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Guest Keatah

I bet there's a more fundamental problem with the system. Maybe exacerbated by Kaspersky or something else.

I can't imagine Speccy crashing a system by itself.

Trying to download the Kaspersky uninstall tool failed. Message received was 'can not save file, file/directory corrupt'. That was trying to save to C. Saving to an external drive worked. Then found out that Windows was corrupt.

Tried to do a system restore (made one before installing Speccy). That failed. Windows reported errors on the drive and couldn't continue. A "refresh" of Windows failed, Windows was corrupted. Had to do a full "reset" of Windows.

What is a full reset of Windows ?

So far as I am aware it is not possible to cure a corrupt Windows without re-writing Windows System Files, e.g. by using an installation disc to Repair Windows or to Install Windows.

If a "full reset" is little more than an enhanced reboot / restart then you are simply cancelling out volatile errors that are not part of the Windows Installation.

Is it possible that your RAM is defective ?

Well, I installed HWiNFO64 (the 64bit one) and no problems. It runs just fine.

In another forum someone suggested that Kaspersky was "sandboxing" Speccy. That isn't the case. Kaspersky took out their "safe run" aka "sandbox" in Internet Security 2013.

I've done numerous Google searchs (Kaspersky Speccy bsod), and not found anything like the problem I'm having. Right after I bought this computer (May), I'd put Speccy in and it ran OK. That is until I configured Speccy to show the CPU temp in the tray.

I've had Speedfan in and that caused no problems.

So, I guess that Speccy and Kaspersky don't play well together.

@Alan These new Win 8 computers don't come with an install disc. They come with a recovery partition. What a PIA. When the warrantyis up on this box I'll most likely be buying an install disc. Moving from 64bit Home Premium to 64bit Pro.