IE7 Beta 2 cookie issue

jefexp

I just have a few quick after thoughts.

1. How are your Temporary Internet Files and History configured: Tools > General > Browsing History > Settings.

2. Did you use the "Import Cookies" wizard to save your favorite cookies?

3. How is your IE7 configured? Just some basics so that I can set mine up the way that your is.

Thanks again for helping. I am not home so I can't check exactly, but here is what I recall:

1. 50MB cache, Check for never versions everytime, and keep all for 1 day

2. I don't recall a "import cookies" wizard. I assume it is in CC, an I click on settings, then Cookies, and then pull over the ones I want to keep.

3. Everything on default.

The import cookies wizard is IE7. To import you favorite cookies, or something. I'm still playing with it so I'm not sure if that's the problem or not.

I'll let you know what I find out. : )

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

The import cookies wizard is IE7. To import you favorite cookies, or something. I'm still playing with it so I'm not sure if that's the problem or not.

I'll let you know what I find out. : )

where did you find the Import option?

where did you find the Import option?

L-click the "+" sign on the top left part of the window.

click "Import and Export..."

click Next

click "Import Cookies"

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

L-click the "+" sign on the top left part of the window.

click "Import and Export..."

click Next

click "Import Cookies"

nope. still no luck.

what about this (from what I posted on the first page):

After installing IE7 beta 2 preview, the index.dat file is no longer visible in the Content.IE5 folder, but index.dat suite and CCleaner find it and report its size. However, if I clear it on restart all the saved cookies are also deleted. This is particularly annoying as I then have to log in to each forum again.

nope. still no luck.

what about this (from what I posted on the first page):

After installing IE7 beta 2 preview, the index.dat file is no longer visible in the Content.IE5 folder, but index.dat suite and CCleaner find it and report its size. However, if I clear it on restart all the saved cookies are also deleted. This is particularly annoying as I then have to log in to each forum again.

My index.dat file is still visible in my Content.IE5 folder. What happens if you uncheck cookies for IE in ccleaner?

It's strange that you have problems with the cookies, and someone else doesn't have problems with the cookies but has a problem with the history. Now I am using IE7 and not having problems with either.

Last night I did an intense cleaning of my computer. I used 3 different cleaners, rebooted about 5 times, compressed, and defraged. Still, everything is functioning normally.

This makes me think that it must have to do with some sort of configuration in IE7. I won't be able to look into it more until Thursday. I'm also wondering if your IE7 installation was somewhat corrupted by another program. Windows Defender, Norton, etc...

Actually...I will save us both time, and I will call MS on Thursday. Maybe that will shed some light on what's going on here. Hopefully... ;) Let's wait and see what MS has to say about it.

Krit,

I have done some more testing and found the following out: Cookies are, after reboot, still in the original folders (see attachment), however they are not able to be found after the reboot. In the attachment, I did a screenprint of the search results of a system search of "Cookie:admin@ixebeta" before a reboot with CC installed. Then, after a reboot, the same search yields no files found, HOWEVER, if I manually navigate to the same folders in the attachment, they are there as before.

It is almost as if they don't exist anymore after the reboot with CC installed (note: settings are set to not run at reboot, and the cookie is marked as safe, all other settings default). This does not occur if I run CC. If I run CC, the search results find the cookie.

Does that make any sense? Only with CC installed does this occur.

All, I understand that this is not a CC bug as it seems to be on my computer only.

Do you have winapp2.ini, or are you only using winapp.ini for CCleaner?

• Moderators

I don't know what that is. How would I know?

MrG's fangirl is talking about winapp2.ini located here, it's an optional add-on for CCleaner to include more cleaning. winapp.ini is included with CCleaner, it's located in the folder where CCleaner is installed, e.g.;

C:\Program Files\CCleaner\winapp.ini

MrG's fangirl is talking about winapp2.ini located here, it's an optional add-on for CCleaner to include more cleaning. winapp.ini is included with CCleaner, it's located in the folder where CCleaner is installed, e.g.;

C:\Program Files\CCleaner\winapp.ini

ahh, I have winapp.ini only in the CCleaner folder.

ahh, I have winapp.ini only in the CCleaner folder.

Maybe you could download winapp2.ini, and place it in the same folder as winapp.ini. From there you can add the appropriate IE7 settings. By doing that you can adjust CCleaner to be more compatible with IE7...IF you do it correctly.

Have you noticed my signature? ; )

Maybe you could download winapp2.ini, and place it in the same folder as winapp.ini. From there you can add the appropriate IE7 settings. By doing that you can adjust CCleaner to be more compatible with IE7...IF you do it correctly.

Have you noticed my signature? ; )

I'll try that right now. Thanks

• Moderators

If you have any questions about the entry you make to clean IE7 post that entry so that it can be looked at. The last thing you'll want to do is kill a large part of the registry or wipe out a whole parent folder on your hard disk.

If you have any questions about the entry you make to clean IE7 post that entry so that it can be looked at. The last thing you'll want to do is kill a large part of the registry or wipe out a whole parent folder on your hard disk.

Agreed.

Andavari is good at the winapp2.ini entries. Listen to him. I can't help you on that part.

Agreed.

Andavari is good at the winapp2.ini entries. Listen to him. I can't help you on that part.

Well, I am at a loss. I can't figure out how to make winapp2 work...and I did read your instructions. I just don't understand.

Well, I am at a loss. I can't figure out how to make winapp2 work...and I did read your instructions. I just don't understand.

Andavari will be able to help you alot more with this part than I can. Don't add anything to winapp2.ini without posting it and getting confirmation on it (just a reminder).

He'll see this the next time that he's online. ;)

• Moderators

Post the entry you've been toying with in winapp2.ini.

Note: Since I don't have IE7 beta 2 installed I can only tell you if you've made input errors into winapp2.ini just by eyeballing it, I can't confirm correct registry or directory locations.

Post the entry you've been toying with in winapp2.ini.

Note: Since I don't have IE7 beta 2 installed I can only tell you if you've made input errors into winapp2.ini just by eyeballing it, I can't confirm correct registry or directory locations.

That's the problem I have no idea.

• Moderators

Well you have two options then, as I can't help you if you don't understand how to begin making the winapp2.ini entry because I'm not going to install IE7 beta 2 to do it, sorry:

• Plead to a member that uses IE7 beta 2 and whom knows how to write the needed removal routines into winapp2.ini.
  • Wait for CCleaner to be updated to officially include IE7. You of course will most likely have to wait for IE7 final which will probably be months away, that is if MrG the CCleaner developer doesn't feel the need to include a cleaning routine for a beta product that may change in its final release version.

Well I guess that's me. :(

I have IE7 right now. I'll try if you help me Andavari.

Well I guess that's me. :(

I have IE7 right now. I'll try if you help me Andavari.

Krit and Andavari,

You guys rock. Thanks for helping> I am a true and loyal fan of CC and users like you make great products even better by helping us noobs.

@jefexp - This isn't working out very well. I think that you are left with 2 options.

1. Keep IE7, but don't use CCleaner until IE7 is stable and CCleaner is coded for IE7 compatibility.

OR

2. Revert back to IE6, and continue to use CCleaner as it is coded to be compatible with IE7.

Sorry~

(I tried)

Gosh. At this point you have ME curious enough to install IE7. That is really weird.

If my computer goes bizerk I'm calling you. Okay? :lol: j/k

I have IE7 Beta2 installed and have the same problem (ccleaner cleans all cookies)and restart dosen,t clear any of them so it,s have them all cleared or none cleared. However, if one wants to do it manually, saving permanent cookies by "ctrl-click" and deleting the rest will work but it is longer and annoying. I,m very surprised MSFT didn,t see such an obvious result and fix it before releasing the beta. Also, for some reason not clear to me, the beta version issues tons of cookies (noted by many others in the beta discussion group) and MSFT hasn,t answered the issue yet. Maybe they are too busy trying to get Vista up to the "Beta 1" stage.