IE7 Beta 2 cookie issue

jefexp

CCleaner removed all of my cookies in IE7 Beta 2, even though I have them marked to keep, and even when I uncheck cookies. This does not happen when I run CCleaner, but rather on a reboot, even if i do not have it checked to run on start up.

When I uninstall CCleaner (1.27 Beta), the problem goes away. When I reinstall, mark to keep or not to clean any cookies, the same thing happens on a reboot.

Any suggestions?

Great program by the way. I love it.

I dont know where you got the beta at but MS hasnt released it to the public yet.(please do not tell me) Because of that ccleaner can not be blamed for not working properly with it. I suggest that you use firefox in the mean time untill the real IE 7 is released.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Grow up. I'm simply asking a question. Go back to church. There is nothing wrong with a question, and if this is something that is occuring with IE7, best people know about it now while both are in Beta.

Grow up. I'm simply asking a question. Go back to church. There is nothing wrong with a question, and if this is something that is occuring with IE7, best people know about it now while both are in Beta.

Relax sweetie. He's just trying to help keep you safe. If you're qualified to handle a Beta version of IE - then rock on, but if not...it's better to be safe than sorry. Firefox can do that for you.

People on this forum truly do want to help, and rridgley is one of the best. You want him on your side...I promise.

Good luck!!!

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Very gracefully put! :)

And I totally agree with rridgely on his choice of browser. Firefox beats the stuffing out of any browser MS ever has (or most likely will) make. IE7 is basically Microsoft's way of attempting to catch up with an already stable tabbed browser. Plus, with Firefox, you can add extensions to do all sorts of nifty little tricks with your web pages.

If you (jefexp) are an IT guy, then using a beta browser like IE7 makes sense for testing purposes. But, if you got ahold of it via P2P or a friend, I would politely recommend you switching over to Mozilla's alternative. Not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to help out and stress what rridgely and dozens of others on this forum have already stated.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Very gracefully put! :)

And I totally agree with rridgely on his choice of browser. Firefox beats the stuffing out of any browser MS ever has (or most likely will) make. IE7 is basically Microsoft's way of attempting to catch up with an already stable tabbed browser. Plus, with Firefox, you can add extensions to do all sorts of nifty little tricks with your web pages.

If you (jefexp) are an IT guy, then using a beta browser like IE7 makes sense for testing purposes. But, if you got ahold of it via P2P or a friend, I would politely recommend you switching over to Mozilla's alternative. Not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to help out and stress what rridgely and dozens of others on this forum have already stated.

Thanks for all the advice. I truely do not mean to piss anyone off, or get on the wrong side, even it it seemed I flamed back a bit harsh. I love cc, and I do use Firefox, I have been playing with IE7 for a week now, and wondered if it was just me.

FF is my preferred browser, and IE7 is a good attempt towards that, but I still use FF. My question was mearly seeing if other IE7 users were seeing the same issue. (not if they had it legally, but of they experenced it either way).

I did nor mean to start on the bad side (3rd post...and all).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice. I truely do not mean to piss anyone off, or get on the wrong side, even it it seemed I flamed back a bit harsh. I love cc, and I do use Firefox, I have been playing with IE7 for a week now, and wondered if it was just me.

FF is my preferred browser, and IE7 is a good attempt towards that, but I still use FF. My question was mearly seeing if other IE7 users were seeing the same issue. (not if they had it legally, but of they experenced it either way).

I did nor mean to start on the bad side (3rd post...and all).

I have the same issue with the new beta 2 of IE7.

I have the same issue with the new beta 2 of IE7.

I found this on Neowin.net:

Yes, IE7 beta 2 has caused strange effects in cookies folder and temp internet files, index.dat files, etc.

This is what I have found:

After installing IE 7 beta 2 the contents of my cookies folder, C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Cookies no longer contains the cookies as .txt files. Instead it contains exactly the same files as my temporary internet files folder C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files. That is to say, it contains the cookies in the form 'name', 'internet address' etc. and also contains all the downloaded files of the pages visited.

Furthermore the same contents are now found in the following folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Cookies

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

If I use IE tools/internet options/ browsing history delete/delete temporary internet files to clear temporay internet files including all offline contents, then all the above mentioned folders contain the cookie files, in the way they previously appeared in my temporary internet files folder (name, internet address, etc.).

Another oddity: if I copy a cookie item from the cookies folder to, say, C:\temp, the copy does appear as the cookie .txt file. Having found this trick, I can at least still inspect the contents of the cookies in Notepad, but it is a nuisance to have to copy them over.

Another change relates to the index.dat files, specifically that for temporary internet files. Using XP's disk cleanup applet, if I highlighted temporary internet files, clicked view files, the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 were displayed, including the index.dat file. I used his method to see how large that file was, and when it had grown very large, I used Index.dat suite or CCleaner to clear the index.dat file on restart back to its 'virgin' 32KB size. That did not affect the saved cookies.

After installing IE7 beta 2 preview, the index.dat file is no longer visible in the Content.IE5 folder, but index.dat suite and CCleaner find it and report its size. However, if I clear it on restart all the saved cookies are also deleted. This is particularly annoying as I then have to log in to each forum again.

I posted this on a forum and at least one other user confirmed he observed the same effects, so I don't think it is anything peculiar with my system.

I don't know if these changes are by design or a bug in IE7 beta 2 preview, but in any case the changed behaviour is most unwelcome.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know if the IE7 Beta Cookie issue has been fixed in the newest beta of CC?

Hi,

For starters the newest version of CC is out of beta, and is finalized. I would like to add that beta versions such as IE7 Beta will be altered in the finalized version, therefore it would not be beneficial to alter CCleaner to be compatible with IE7 Beta. Also, CCleaner would have to be changed everytime a new Beta version of IE7 was released. I think that's it's more feasible to make compatibily changes once there is a finalized version. I hope that this helps, and I included the link for the finalized CCleaner downloads with the list of changes that were implemented.

CCleaner

CCleaner Version History

---------------------------------------------------------

v1.27.260

- Added secure file deletion.

- Added Windows HotFix Uninstaller cleaning.

- Added optional IE toolbar.

- Updated application icon.

- Fixed large file size issue.

- Fixed Firefox cookie error.

- Restyled Startup program list.

- Added cleaning for:

Grisoft AVG 7.0, TUGZip, AntiVir Personal Edition,

Google Toolbar 4.0

- Updated cleaning for:

MSN Messenger, DVD Shrink, Spybot Search and Destroy,

Adobe Photoshop CS2.

- Updated translations:

Hebrew, Romanian, French, German.

- Fixed small font issue with symbolic languages.

- Minor display fixes.

Have a nice day! :)

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi,

For starters the newest version of CC is out of beta, and is finalized. I would like to add that beta versions such as IE7 Beta will be altered in the finalized version, therefore it would not be beneficial to alter CCleaner to be compatible with IE7 Beta. Also, CCleaner would have to be changed everytime a new Beta version of IE7 was released. I think that's it's more feasible to make compatibily changes once there is a finalized version. I hope that this helps, and I included the link for the finalized CCleaner downloads with the list of changes that were implemented.

CCleaner

CCleaner Version History

---------------------------------------------------------

v1.27.260

- Added secure file deletion.

- Added Windows HotFix Uninstaller cleaning.

- Added optional IE toolbar.

- Updated application icon.

- Fixed large file size issue.

- Fixed Firefox cookie error.

- Restyled Startup program list.

- Added cleaning for:

Grisoft AVG 7.0, TUGZip, AntiVir Personal Edition,

Google Toolbar 4.0

- Updated cleaning for:

MSN Messenger, DVD Shrink, Spybot Search and Destroy,

Adobe Photoshop CS2.

- Updated translations:

Hebrew, Romanian, French, German.

- Fixed small font issue with symbolic languages.

- Minor display fixes.

Have a nice day! :)

K

Thanks Krit. I don't believe I was bad mouthing or putting down CC. I love CC and use it everyday. I know it is beta, and I know IE7 is beta. However, there is an issue with the cookies, and since CC has released 3 new beta versions since the release of IE7, I was simply asking a question as to whether it is still occuring in the x.260 version. That's all.

I guess that means no? (again, not that it is a CC issue, but an issue with the two betas working together).

Thanks Krit. I don't believe I was bad mouthing or putting down CC. I love CC and use it everyday. I know it is beta, and I know IE7 is beta. However, there is an issue with the cookies, and since CC has released 3 new beta versions since the release of IE7, I was simply asking a question as to whether it is still occuring in the x.260 version. That's all.

I guess that means no? (again, not that it is a CC issue, but an issue with the two betas working together).

Hi jefexp,

I'm sorry for not communicating more clearly. I did not mean to imply that you were bad mouthing or putting down CC because I didn't get that impression from your post.

I was trying to point out that CCleaner isn't beta anymore, and posted the download for the finalized version. Also, I wanted to explain why most programs don't alter for BETA's.

I apologize for any implication that you were being negative. That was not my intention.

K

It's all good. Odd that IE7 is putting cookies in a different place now. I wonder if it truely is a beta version thing or a new version thing.

It's probably an IE Beta version thing. I say that because the problems have been going on for a little while now. Also the new version of CC doesn't have problems with IE6.

Have a nice evening. :)

K

• 4 weeks later...

unfortunetly, this is still occuring with the IE7 Refreash released today. As I originally posted, ccleaner doesnt even have to run and this occurs, but it occurs upon bootup only.

Any thoughts? And, yes I know, it's beta.

unfortunetly, this is still occuring with the IE7 Refreash released today. As I originally posted, ccleaner doesnt even have to run and this occurs, but it occurs upon bootup only.

Any thoughts? And, yes I know, it's beta.

So you're saying...

1. If CCleaner is installed, and you don't run CC, then reboot...that the cookies are then cleaned?

2. But that if CCleaner is not installed that the cookies are not cleaned after a reboot?

Is that correct?

So you're saying...

1. If CCleaner is installed, and you don't run CC, then reboot...that the cookies are then cleaned?

2. But that if CCleaner is not installed that the cookies are not cleaned after a reboot?

Is that correct?

Yes. That is exactly the issue. I have restored my image 3 times, and tried it different ways. This only occurs if cc is installed, only on reboot, regardless of if you have it run on startup or not.

I know it is weird, so please, anyone with IE7 installed, please confirm whether or not this is occuring to you.

Yes. That is exactly the issue. I have restored my image 3 times, and tried it different ways. This only occurs if cc is installed, only on reboot, regardless of if you have it run on startup or not.

I know it is weird, so please, anyone with IE7 installed, please confirm whether or not this is occuring to you.

Gosh. At this point you have ME curious enough to install IE7. That is really weird.

If my computer goes bizerk I'm calling you. Okay? :lol: j/k

Okay, I am not able to reproduce your problem.

C:\Documents and Settings\user name

cook12rj.th.jpg

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

cook37ry.th.jpg

The rest of the files that you indicated containing cookies, did not on my computer. I have more screen shots if needed.

My index.dat file is still visible in my Content.IE5 folder.

After rebooting my saved cookies were still saved.

hmmm. I will keep trying.

Okay, I am not able to reproduce your problem.

C:\Documents and Settings\user name

cook12rj.th.jpg

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

cook37ry.th.jpg

The rest of the files that you indicated containing cookies, did not on my computer. I have more screen shots if needed.

My index.dat file is still visible in my Content.IE5 folder.

After rebooting my saved cookies were still saved.

hmmm. I will keep trying.

OKay...my cookies are still there too, but they do not work...for example: Google. I log in on the home page to get my personal settings. I click "remember me". I can close IE7 100 times, and it still logs me in. If I reboot, with CCleaner installed (even set to not run), when I open IE7 again on Google, the cookie did not log me in.

I hate pointing fingers, but I am on my fifth restore from a clean image, and it only occurs if cclean is installed.

I am sorry about that. After rebooting I was still logged on at all of my forums. I will keep trying to produce the problems that you are having.

Give me a few days. I will only use IE7 and maybe it will happen to me after a while.

If I can recreate your situation, I will let you know. Sorry, but that's all that I can do right now. MidTerms are here.

Take Care,

K

I just have a few quick after thoughts.

1. How are your Temporary Internet Files and History configured: Tools > General > Browsing History > Settings.

2. Did you use the "Import Cookies" wizard to save your favorite cookies?

3. How is your IE7 configured? Just some basics so that I can set mine up the way that your is.