CCleaner not deleting cookies in "Cookies to delete"

Remo

I have a dozen or so cookies that show up in Ccleaner's list of cookies, in the "Cookies to delete" column, that it will not delete.

- I've cleaned cookies out of Chrome using Chrome's cleaner

- In Opera (default browser) I've deleted all the cookies

- I've gone to Control Panel/Internet options and deleted browsing history (did not check "Preserve Favorites")

- I've checked all the appropriate boxes on the "Cleaner" tab, for both Windows and Applications

- I've run it after shutting down browsers (verified in task manager)

- I ran "Flashcookiecleaner" and it showed no flash cookies

Nothing affects these cookies. You would think if it could see them it would delete them. There doesn't seem to be a way to have it show me the path to these cookies either so I could delete them manually.

A few show HTTPS, i.e. "HTTPS://secure.shared.live.com" others just list the url, "wheels.blogs.nytimes.com" for instance.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

CCleaner V 4.02.4115 (64 Bit)

Opera 12.15 build 1748

Chrome 27.0.1453.116

Some of the gang around here are much better at diagnosing issues but since nobody has responded I can point out getting to the Windows hidden and system files.

Close down the browsers.

Then in Control Panel/Folder Options, View (Tab), Hidden Files and Folder option select (Show), Hide protected operating system files (Uncheck), Click Ok to exit and save.

You should be able now to poke around in the visible AppData folder and see the folders in the paths that CC details as files to be deleted.

In CC, make sure you haven't added anything to the exclude list under Options/Exclude and that cookies to keep doesn't have those listed such as *.live.com which will keep them around.

When you press the analyze button for cleaner you get a list like Internet Explorer - Temporary Internet Files ... History -- etc, that can be double clicked, that gives you the details of the files and paths that it will be cleaning for that group.

Also one more thing - - - try right clicking on items. The shortcut menu is invaluable.

CCleaner v4.03.4151

Always updated Windows 7 64 Ultimate SP1-U / IE10 / MSE , i7-2960XM CPU, 1600MHz RAM 16GB/4, Samsung 840 Pro SSD's, nVidia Quadro 4000M GPU, RGBLED IPS LCD

Thanks for the reply.

I run with hidden and operating files shown as a matter of course. It's one of the first things I do when I sit down at a machine to troubleshoot. I've browsed through both AppData (Roaming, Local Low and Local) and ProgramData without being able to identify where these cookies are. Of course I couldn't check every single entry but I looked at all the likely culprits.

I don't have any exclusions set in CC and right clicking the cookies in the list of "cookies to delete" just gives the option to keep it or run the Intelligent scan. It doesn't tell you where it's at.

When you run Analyze yes, you can right click and see the cookies listed, including their paths, that are to be deleted. Since it's not deleting these problem ones though they aren't included in that list.

I'm the guy that everyone else comes to when their PC's are having problems. I've been troubleshooting machines for years but this has me stumped. I've also run other cleaners (Glary's and Slim Cleaner) and these cookies still persist. It's irritating as hell and has become a mission :)

:) Well I just knew you were one or the other, either not very experienced but could give a great tech support description or, really knowledgeable and my answers would seem rather routine :)

To the problem,

I haven't seen the problem on my machine. But I'm also not running two other browsers, just IE10.

Maybe try exporting the cookies to keep list and running without any. You can always just re-import the list back in afterwards.

----

Edit:

you're also cleaning out the index.dat files correct, I think on IE10 they're called container.dat

You can't exclude those folders in order to preserve cookies like the prior CC that was having problems with that.

With CC, prior to v4.02.4115, I couldn't keep cookies, i.e., they were deleted regardless of the cookies to keep list configured all sorts of ways. In order to preserve them I'd exclude certain DOMStore folders, files and indexes in certain locations. This way things would be preserved such as sign-in to outlook.com but I'd have to exclude further to have the messenger work properly as it wouldn't be able to sign-in.

With the newer CC I had to get rid of all that and revert back to the standard list and all is now fine.

Has it ever worked properly and done everything as expected or is this a newly acquired problem?

CCleaner v4.03.4151

Always updated Windows 7 64 Ultimate SP1-U / IE10 / MSE , i7-2960XM CPU, 1600MHz RAM 16GB/4, Samsung 840 Pro SSD's, nVidia Quadro 4000M GPU, RGBLED IPS LCD

NP, I do tech support on Reddit from time to time and understand, you never know the knowledge level of the other person. Best to assume none until proven otherwise :)

I have another piece to the puzzle. It's definitely Opera that's setting these cookies. The list has grown since the original post. It now includes two sites I went to earlier this evening in Opera.

Thinking maybe the files were still locked by the system, even though Opera was shutdown, I rebooted and ran CC, no change. I then booted into Safemode, ran CC, no change. I'm going to go through every Opera file/folder and see if I can find them. I'm also going to post this on Opera's forum and see if anyone there has insight.

• Moderators

What security software do you use?

At the moment some security softwares are flagging public-trust.com which is involved in revocation list that Opera uses.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Avast and Panda Cloud (I know, I shouldn't be running two different ones at the same time but so far there haven't been any conflicts).

So what would be the effect in Opera of the flagging of public-trust.com? It's letting these cookies be set. I just can't remove them.

Found it! In the Opera folder "C:\Users\Remo\AppData\Local\Opera\Opera\pstorage" there's a file named "psindex.dat". When I opened it in notepad there is the list of problem cookies. Opera refers to this as Persistent Storage, not a cookie. For my money, it's functionally the same.

So now I'm going to close Opera and delete that file. If that does the trick I'll add it to CC. I'll post the results back here.

Edit: And that took care of it. Another of life's little mysteries solved :)

Thanks for the help.

I'm privileged to have witnessed the perfect troubleshoot.

Glad to hear it's fixed.

3 Browsers and 2 Anti-Virus - you kind of know some basics :)

Take Care.

CCleaner v4.03.4151

And I just changed that setting in Opera (Preferences/Advanced/Storage/Use Application Cache) to NO, NEVER, NOT AT ALL, EVER. (ok, the box actually just says "No").

I think I'll be looking into Sandboxie.

hazelnut,

Thanks for the ref to Sandboxie. I'd never heard of them before either.

CCleaner v4.03.4151

• Moderators

Avast and Panda Cloud (I know, I shouldn't be running two different ones at the same time but so far there haven't been any conflicts).

You definitely shouldn't be using both at the same time. Also Panda Cloud Antivirus can't really be fully turned off, well actually most antivirus' can't fully turn off due to them having drivers loaded into memory which have nothing to do with stopping/pausing services they run which is why they can easily conflict even if you notice nothing and even if the real-time protection/shield/guard is disabled in one of them. Also if you're using their free edition be aware they download ads in the background which require IE to store that junk in, therefore that can be one explanation of always having some Temporary Internet Files.

Unfortunately many people have been noticing lately that there's stuff not being deleted from IE and I don't think it's just a 64-bit Windows version problem (which is often the culprit of many CCleaner issues I've noticed). I also don't think it's just an IE 10 issue like some people were posting.

One other clue to stuff that may not get cleaned is Adobe Flash Player which can store cookies so make sure you have that box ticked since some sites store cookies there, and then there's also DOMStore which is worth checking out where it's stored on your computer to see if there's something lingering in that area.

To get rid of the left-overs you may need to use IE's own built-in cleaner, just make sure a particular box is unticked/disabled so it gets everything (I personally think this box is not being read by allot of us and have left it ticked/enabled which can retain data):

3fc25e86c814.png