CC not deleting all temporary internet files

I have vista and IE9. CC Analysis shows say 900 temp int files but after cleaning it only shows say 50 of them as having been deleted, the rest have disappeared from the list. I can't find where the temp int files are on my computer to check so I don't really understand what's going on. Anyone help?

Welcome to the forum.

You can right click on the results and choose to "Save to Text File",

taking care to note the name and destination,

and optionally to specify an alternative.

Do this after Analysis and also after Cleaning.

You should find that all of the 50 which are deleted were within the original 900 that were analysed.

Some of the 50 may have appeared more than once in the 900 analysed.

The same file can APPEAR under two different names, e.g.

MACRIU~1.TXT

and

macrium-v5-server-licence.txt

Analysis will see it both ways and count it twice.

Clean will delete the first instance its sees and count that as a result,

and when it gets to the second instance it is already gone and so is not counted a second time.

Reparse Points are yet another complication that allows one file to appear to exist in many folders.

Welcome to the World of Windows :wacko:

I have given up worrying about the difference between the Analysis and the Clean numbers.

However you do have an unusually large difference.

If you want more detailed information, or wish the developers to evaluate this as a bug,

I suggest that you use "Advanced Reply" which allows you to attach the two text files that show the results of Analysis and Clean.

(no one wants to see a 900 line post on their browser).

I should also have said that sometimes the number of temporary internet files seems much lower than expected, say 50 when I would have expected say 900. as I don't think my internet usage varies much in the same time windows and my setting for them is 250MB, does that change your thoughts?

What you have posted as a bug topic is just one of the results of how Windows was thrown together.

Windows does what Windows wants to do,

and that includes dumping in Temp Internet files stuff that is not due too browsing with IE9.

What you have posted as a bug topic is just one of the results of how Windows was thrown together.

Windows does what Windows wants to do,

and that includes dumping in Temp Internet files stuff that is not due too browsing with IE9.

I can't even find where Temporary Internet Files are stored on my computer, if I go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\ there are only ever the same 4 8kb files all with 'favicon' in the name, and NeroPhotoSnapViewer.Files9.ico as the type, where the hell are they all that CCleaner finds?

I have blocked I.E. and only use Palemoon as my browser but Windows still creates junk

CCleaner Analyze finds 227 KB in 39 Files.

When I right click on that result and choose "View Detailed Results" I am shown 39 files held in 4 different folder with one common parent

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\

When I right click on of those files and choose "Open containing Folder" then an instance of Windows Explorer will open,

and this shows me that file and all its companions.

I have modified the defaults of Windows so that it shows me all system and hidden files.

Perhaps Windows is "protecting" you by concealing these things from you.

• Moderators

I can't even find where Temporary Internet Files are stored on my computer...

To find the exact path:

1. Right click the IE desktop icon and select 'Properties'

2. With Properties open, and in the General (tab) look at 'Browsing history' and click 'Settings', the path will display under 'Current location'

To find the exact path:

1. Right click the IE desktop icon and select 'Properties'

2. With Properties open, and in the General (tab) look at 'Browsing history' and click 'Settings', the path will display under 'Current location'

Just done that and at the 'current location' it says 'this folder is empty' , likewise if I click 'view files' under 'Settings' there is a single TMP file of 0byte - yet CC analysis says there are 545 files totalling 13,455kb

Just done that and at the 'current location' it says 'this folder is empty'

It is lying to you,

perhaps because it is hiding stuff that you have not enabled,

perhaps because you need admin authority,

perhaps .....

Did you do what I did in post #6 - Yes or No ?

Did you see a list of files listed - Yes or No ?

So long as you can at least see the name of a file in that list I have a special trick to prove it really exists even though Windows is hiding it.

Did you "right click on of those files and choose Open containing Folder" - Yes or No ?

Did an instance of Windows Explorer will open - Yes or No ?

Was the chosen file highlighted - Yes or No ?

If you need the special trick, it is to launch Defraggler WITHOUT running it;

Select the System Drive;

Click the TAB named "Search"

Tick the box named "Filename Contains"

To the right enter the name of one of the files

(in my case I have WMP47267697-9bd0-4102-a147-d43a73083bed[1]..jpg and being lazy I simply type WMP47267697-9bd0

Tick the box named "Include non-fragmented files"

After about 3 seconds Defraggler has analyzed my 60 GB SSD and updated the map (your mileage may vary) and found the file.

It is identified as

WMP47267697-9bd0-4102-a147-d43a73083bed[1]..jpg 1 72126

located in C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\I3VMX5TR\

When I select this file the map has all cells greyed out apart from the cell which contains the file.

When I right click on this file I can choose to :-

"Save List to Text File" and / or

"Open Containing Folder" which launches Windows Explorer looking at

C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\I3VMX5TR

I am sure your problems are entirely due to Windows and nothing to do with CCleaner.

It is lying to you,

perhaps because it is hiding stuff that you have not enabled,

perhaps because you need admin authority,

perhaps .....

Did you do what I did in post #6 - Yes or No ?

Did you see a list of files listed - Yes or No ?

Yes i can do that and thanks I understand a lot more but I still feel CC only intermittently finds all the temp internet files as files that should be on the list aren't always there