How do I fix a bug in my flat screen 22" monitor

Alan_B

I have just seen a small spot the size of a full stop crawling across my Samsung monitor screen.

It looked as if it is on the front surface,

but it is not affected when I wipe the screen with my podgy paw.

There it is again - zigzagging and meandering, and totally unaffected when I switch Tabs from one website to another.

Is the interior of the monitor hospitable to carbon based insects ?

Am I subject to an alien silicon based life form ?

• Moderators

Download a "dead pixel fix" from YouTube, this is just a random search for them:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dead+pixel+fix&oq=dead+pix&gs_l=youtube.1.1.0l10.786.2199.0.5437.8.8.0.0.0.0.120.795.4j4.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.aWQ6jWJZ3zc

Caveat: If you or your family have a history of epilepsy don't look at the flashing colours!!!

Good luck because those dead pixel fixes don't always work, and you may have to leave them running/repeating for hours.

What I'd do is download one of those videos you like (preferrably a longer playing one) using a YouTube video downloader, and then use some conversion software such as DVD Flick (free) which can convert YouTube's FLV and MP4 to a DVD Video disc, and then let it play continuously over night.

That appears to address a stationary defect.

What I see is more like a very small ant that crawls in random directions at perhaps 0.5 cm per second.

An effective solution would be what I did as a child - wait till mum was busy and then boiling a kettle of water to pour down an ant's nest.

That should be safe because there is no consumer protection label warning me not to do that :o

Do you still see it when you look out the window?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Thanks for that thought Hazel.

If only my monitor held a vacuum and spat out 12 kVolt electrons its eggs were not be fertile.

I wonder if I could get a patent on a pest repellent monitor like that.

No, I do not see them out of the window.

• Moderators

Since it's a moving problem not a dead pixel perhaps it's a bad connection. You could try completely unplugging it; the electrical cord and the connection it has to your computer (if it's plugged into your computer do this when your computer is off), and then plug everything back in.

• Moderators

I found few hits in the wild on something like this, one mentioned malware and a couple said monitor is dead. At least two mentions of actual bugs (insects) living within the monitor (note for that the moving spot seems random)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have not seen this critter today. Perhaps it was a mayfly which only lives for one day.

If it comes back again then I will check out the connectors.

Its movement is definitely random, but is continuous - it does not skip or jump but just a meander.

Once I see it then it stays visible as it meanders until it falls of the edge of the screen.