Hard Drive manufacturer preference

mta

• Moderators

Having just suffered my first HD failure in 4 years (a 4yo Western Digital), I was wondering if others had a personal preference for one particular brand over another.

I used to get WD's (hence the above one) but was noticing a more than acceptable failure rate, so had switched to Seagate and found them much more reliable in the longevity area.

Others thoughts ?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Guest Keatah

I'm not sure I have a preference. I'm familiar with WD disks and how the company operates as a whole. I've had a high ratio of WD fails too. But the company has always come through with good RMA service. So I suppose it's a case of stick with the devil you know. Yeh?

I don't believe I'd worry about 1 fail in 4 years. And it wouldn't sway my choice of mfg one way or another.

Ya'll gotta understand these are mechanical devices that are built by imperfect people. I would spend more time focusing on backup operations than I would researching disks and mfg. choices. You cannot control their quality, but you can control the risk once you start using a product. And in computing it's all about security & backups.

• Moderators

believe me, I'm BIG on backups, but very sadly, most people are not - not even close in my opinion.

It takes them losing data to even think about backups and then they get all anal about them for a few months then the extraneous(in their eyes) task of backing up falls to the wayside.

so when I was putting Western Digital's in their PC's and having them fail, they would lose data, so since switching to Seagate, I, and they, have been much happier. :)

but, you are right, they are just mechanical devices and as such WILL and DO fail, regularly, at the most inconvenient times.

just for a bit of comparison; I would say I see about 3 failed WD's for every failed Seagate. That's desktops.

For laptops, don't even mention Toshiba or Hitachi drives !

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

It takes them losing data to even think about backups and then they get all anal about them for a few months then the extraneous(in their eyes) task of backing up falls to the wayside.

Perhaps you would do them a failure by installing a brand that fails every three months and reminds them how essential backups are.

It is what a mother calls "Tough Love" :o

Most important are the backup suggestions. Quality is not guaranteed over time in most brands.

They change parts suppliers, subcontractors, shippers, quality control guidelines.

There was even a report of one HDD subcontractor doing sub-assemblies in a garage out back.

(don't remember where, won't go find it, long time ago).

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I can only tell you of my experiences, and so far they've all been good with Western Digital drives.

I've had a 320gb "Elements" portable USB drive for almost 4 years now, and it's been in constant use with the adding and removing of music files and large video files. Soundless in operation and never gets even warm to the touch.

Because of that I've just bought another slightly bigger version which is both USB 2 and 3 compatible. Fingers crossed this one is as reliable as the first, but again it's silent and very cool running. (that reminds me of a movie)

Some time ago I changed out my desktop system drive, again for a Western Digital. Again, super quiet running and so far no issues.

The drive I changed it for was a Samsung, which is over 6 years old, was absolutely hammered for those 6 years, and is now in retirement as a second internal data drive.

So for me, one Samsung and three WD, all good so far.

Guest Keatah

The portable WD Elements disks are very nice. Especially from an engineering point of view. They've done unique and remarkable things with these drives you won't find in any other portable disk. And to top it off they don't have that dumb gloss finish that scratches if you look at it the wrong way.

I, too, have a Samsung mobile drive that takes a beating. Still working!