Norton Good or Bad

Vanguard382

What do you guys think about norton would yuo say and part of it is good or sould i get ride of it and go with somehting else??

Plz Help

Norton => Bloated and does adequate job. Also have to get the uninstall download from their website to uninstall.

... it is just using too much resources... a bit expensive for a stand alone antivirus... and doesnt uninstall completely...

i guess is bad enough...

--==aGumon==--

Hating IE for active X isn't the only reason; it hates valid html, it dosn't support full png or css2 support and its way outdated.For gods sakes even if some billion dollar company makes somthing dosn't mean its the best; (main reason people seem to buy crappy stuff (macaffe,norton,etc)

Also,at the current time, im using Norton :-( I was about to switch to AVG but then we got the new subscription to Norton yearly, when it expires I'm going to get AVG or Avast! etc.

Hating IE for active X isn't the only reason; it hates valid html, it dosn't support full png or css2 support and its way outdated.For gods sakes even if some billion dollar company makes somthing dosn't mean its the best; (main reason people seem to buy crappy stuff (macaffe,norton,etc)

Also,at the current time, im using Norton :-( I was about to switch to AVG but then we got the new subscription to Norton yearly, when it expires I'm going to get AVG or Avast! etc.

My Norton expires at the end of the month. McAfee may become better with their new scan engine coming out soon.

I'm unsure whom Norton uses for installers, but I think it may either be InstallShield or WiseInstaller. Surely you've noticed when you uninstall things they often say not everything was uninstalled?

yea, i don't know who makes their installer either, but either way i think we agree that it's not too good.

i have noticed that Symantec makes uninstallers, or at least i think they are made by them, to use to uninstall their products because the ones that come it don't work very well.

I think it's a very wise choice :) i recommended it but i have to warn you that some people, i don't know why though, think it has a confusing interface... I've also heard that their online support isn't all that good. However, I still use it just fine and i have never had any problem with it. ZoneAlarm does not detect NOD32 as an antivirus system... I don't know why though.

NOD32 is fast, updates rapidly and frequently, takes up VERY LITTLE RAM. I fully recommend you use it. :lol:

NOD32's online support is great, you can check for yourself at the link below :)

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

there is also a member of the forum called Blackspear who has made a very clearly made and easy to follow guide on setting it up., which includes pictures :)

for just about the best protection you can get use NOD32, it has the best heuistics in the world and is very low on resourses, or instead of NOD, F-Prot is very similar. and use one of those Anti-Viruses with BOClean for a very low resourse anti-trojan

• 2 weeks later...

:unsure: I hate norton.When my subscription is up I am uninstalling the whole lot.Theres a number of sites I cannot click on, I have tried to get round it configuring these sites but with no avail.It is far too secure for home users.Like today it wouldnt let me open CCleaner.I even configured CCleaner to be safe and to use all ports etc.but no, I had to uninstall CCleaner and start again, and do a system restore.What a pain Norton is.Huh! the support? dont make me laugh.I know unsinstalling Norton is going to be a big problem too. I'll go back to Panda, and at half the size of Norton .Norton is a greedy hog in size. :angry::angry::angry:

What do you guys think about norton would yuo say and part of it is good or sould i get ride of it and go with somehting else??

Plz Help

I have heard of this.I really don't know what to do.I hate Norton. Another bad thing i'm expeiencing is my firewall kicks in in under a minute but I can wait for up to 5 minutes for my Norton Antivirus to start.It's never the same any two days.I even have a start up manager, that didnt help either, its a real pain.Thanks for the tip anyway mate. :blink:

Ok i getting an vantivrus now!

I don't mind paying for it and i would really like it to have a firewall built in. Don't want to buy that to

What is the very best no matter what!!

I heard PC-cillin was really good and it had a intergrated firewall:) is it good?

• Moderators
Norton Software seems ok but is very resource hungry

avoid on slow machines

internet cleaning tool

Well thats only been said about 500 times in this thread. I am convinced that this guy must be a bot. If Im wrong PM me with proof. All I know is that he keeps posting in practically dead topics and all he ever says is echos of other posts or that he is gonna try something. Oh and you cant forget the links to his fantastic website :rolleyes: .

Norton sucks, they're product cost money, need online-activation to install, eats all your processing power and memory and slows down the computer, etc.

If you looking for a antivirus then try AntiVir at http://www.free-av.com/

It is a great, simple, free (as in beer) anti virus software for Windows, Linux, BSD, Solaris. It doesnt need any subscription or license, it doesnt have any bloated interface or skins. it is a simple, easy to use, great anti virus.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I had nothing at all against Norton, in fact quite the opposite, but all that changed when I had virus problems 3days ago that caused me to reformat in the end. I replaced my very expensive Norman (Norwegian) firewall/virus with a Norton on a 15 day trial period. It didnt detect win32IRCbot (circa:2002) until the third scan and totally missed 2 trojans when even microsofts beta had identified one trojan as a problem. I installed Kasperski today and all I can say is that Im glad this happened while I had the 'Symantec internet suite' on trial and I never shelled out any money for it. ...'Pants mate!'