Norton Good or Bad

Vanguard382

What do you guys think about norton would yuo say and part of it is good or sould i get ride of it and go with somehting else??

Plz Help

Again, its an opinon thing, everyone feels differently, i personaly feel norton is aload of crap, but some people love it, i use Avast Anti-virus myself, i feel that is the best...IMHO.

http://www.avast.com/index.htm

--lee

What do you guys think about norton would yuo say and part of it is good or sould i get ride of it and go with somehting else??

i used norton antivirus 2002, which cames with the purchase of my computer in the past and it is a resource hog... it really slow down my computer when scanning... it is fine in the detection of viruses... but really slow...

after my norton antivirus subscription expired, i make a switch to avast home edition... it seems fine, but the 30 days subscription thing is really troublesome... and i dont really like avast... it have too many features... never find anything on my computer... maybe my computer is clean...

not long after, i make a switch to BitDefender (i think is the free version)... and this one is the worst... i cannot update the defination of the virus signature... terrible... and windows xp sp2 security does not recognize it... uninstal it right away...

and to avg free edition... like it very much... simple, fast and uses very little resources... but heard many people said that avg antivirus free edition only quarantine viruses that it found... not very sure whether this is true... but avg is really nice... this antivirus found 80+ viruses on my friend computer...

now, using symantec antivirus corporate edition... not a resource hog... it runs smoothly on my computer... nice antivirus...

--==aGumon==--

i make a switch to avast home edition... it seems fine, but the 30 days subscription thing is really troublesome... and i dont really like avast... it have too many features... never find anything on my computer... maybe my computer is clean...

Your suppost to register avast on there website, takes about 1 min, after this you just re-register it every 14 months (privacy measure), its proved to have better detection rates then AVG, can remove a virus when it finds it, avg not so good at this, and you have to scan the whole of your harddrive with AVG just to find the virus again.

But you say it has too many features, surely this is a good thing?, i love this fact with my Avast, i even plan to buy the Pro version, plus the new BETA version (soon to go final) is a great improvement on its already great program.

The free (BETA) version has 7 providers:

Instent messaging

Internet Mail

Network Shield

P2P shield

Standard Shield

Web Shield

Outlook/Exchange

All of the above are fully customizable, there also are allot more settings for the program running itself, for example you can set it to do abort/move infection automatically, or update the program/definitions automatically.

Also the Pro (paid) version has a Script Blocker which is customizable, and the pro version is more customizable in itself.

http://www.avast.com/

I really suggest you get it.

--lee

a little bit is good, but a whole lot more isn't a whole lot better . . . most of the time. anyway with more users using computers that have no experience, i think they should offer two options, a simple and a "pro" (literally) mode, to cater to more people's needs.

a little bit is good, but a whole lot more isn't a whole lot better . . . most of the time. anyway with more users using computers that have no experience, i think they should offer two options, a simple and a "pro" (literally) mode, to cater to more people's needs.

And as i said, theres is a Free and paid version (Home and Pro), see here for differences: http://www.avast.com/eng/av4_version_comp.html

Again, i really do recomend this product.

--lee

Plz Help

1st & foremost (since you didn't specify "Norton Antivirus" or "Norton Internet Security") antivirus alone will not protect one's networked PC. Having a firewall, (software firewall at least, software & hardware at best), is necessary to any real PC security effort. And for the record, Windows XP SP2's Firewall is insufficient in my opinion. That being said...

Norton Internet Security 05, to include Norton AntiVirus 05 & Norton Firewall, is admittedly very resource- (& wallet-) intensive . But when one looks at what NIS05 does, the sheer number of bases it covers versus the heavily-touted freeware suggested elsewhere in this topic, one begins to understand why.

I'll leave you to your own research, but after sifting thru reputable reviews by professionals to whom price is not the primary consideration, you'll likely discover the following: Other products, with (maybe) the exception of McAfee's & Computer Associates' suites of security programs, simply do not have the same expansive levels of protection offered by NIS05. While some products may "find more" so-called threats, as you will find in your research, many are found to be false-positives, the removal of which can have devestating effects on a system, when talking about OS/system files. Trusted commercial products have the budget & time-tested expertise to exhaustively test for & protect against this. Freeware developers typically do not have the personnel/income to achieve this.

Most Norton "haters" are more haters of spending the cash to buy the product (& subscription updates), more than the product itself. The number of such "haters" nearly tripled, I noticed, after product activation made it more difficult to steal Norton products using cracks & bogus serial numbers... coincidence? It also stands to reason that such a person might also tend to be stingy with system & hardware upgrades, thereby leaving them with yester-year's specifications in RAM & processor speeds - otherwise their resource concerns wouldn't be a concern at all. In my experience, even mid-to-low performing systems run great with NIS05, with a bit of tweaking. But pre-P4? 256MB of RAM? `Fraid you need an upgrade!

If your budget & system cannot handle Norton, then by all means, try a freebie. You'll get what you pay for, at least... sometimes suprisingly more, (ZoneLabs' ZoneAlarm Free Firewall is a fine example of excellent freeware security). But if you've invested in a higher-end system, I recommend investing a little more in a proven security solution to protect that investment.

rustik_one,

FYI Avast Pro is as good if not better then Norton, just because its not 'industrial standard' or the most popular doesn't make it bad.

--lee

You may very well be correct, & your chosen product may perform superbly. It goes without saying that I don't know everything about every security solution available. I do, however, know Norton products, & can comfortably recommend them to persons whose systems are robust enough to run them smoothly.

My goal is only to dispell the ill-begotten myth that "Norton [AV/NIS] is crap," which is a sentiment I come across more frequently than is warranted by the facts, in both forums & chat. It may seem to run "crappy" if one doesn't have the RAM & CPU for it, & there are a good many former-freeloaders that can no longer crack Norton with any hope of keeping it current with updates. That, & the fact that it is not free, do not spell "crap."

But you are right, there's every chance (as your experience shows you) that there are other products that can meet a person's security needs, besides the old-school of Norton/ McAfee/ CA. It will largely depend on the specific needs, the means, & the system, and not a little on personal taste. I only ask that Norton not be unilaterally deemed "crap" based on such dubious reviews as are given in these venues. Just as your solution of choice does not deserve such slamming, (as it does a fine job for you & likely many others), neither does Norton, (which does a fine job for me & a FEW others ;) ).

rustik_one,

I fully, agree, norton does have great detection rate, i just personaly am not a great liker of it, i much prefer Avast, i always buy my products though, never crack them.

It will largely depend on the specific needs, the means, & the system, and not a little on personal taste

Well i do allot of meeting specific user needs in college for products (hardware and software), but me personaly i feel it is also largly on personal preferences aswell, i like the way avast looks and feels, and its easy for me to use its avanced customizable features.

But of course, not everyone can have the same opinon, for example, i like Firefox and Opera over IE, but other people prefer it the other way around.

--lee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used Norton for a couple of years and hate it. It is a real space hog and their customer service is for the pits. Trying to uninstall it and delete the remnants from your system is also a real challenge.

I am now trying NOD32 one month trial version and really love it. I think that this is the AV for me. If I were going to use a free version, I think that I would go with AVG.

Symantec can't even pay me to run their crap on any of my systems. They have extreamly bad "customer support" on top of the resource hogging. I had an install problem with the 2004 version, which I found out was common, that required them sending me a removal tool. That was after the 2 hour wait on the phone and dealing with a very rude rep.

I ended up removing it manually. No way I was gonna trust another app from them. Went and bought a copy of Mcafee and switched all the systems in my home over.

The only thing I'd ever use another Symantec product for is my vacuming cuz it really sux. :lol:

ok i have done research on norton and it is great. The reson it slows your computer down is becasue it is scaning every file.

It is catching about 97% of all viruses on computers wich is a lot better then a whole load of them so i am sticking with norton

I used Norton because it came free with my rig and then paid 19 bucks for it for a year. Then they wanted 39 bucks to renew and I wised up by reading MS help forums and cut the cord. Don't pay for security folks, it isn't worth it, but if you must, Norton did ok by me, but I never needed their support either.

I went with ZoneAlarm Free, and although it was not easy to set up (the problem was with correct settings in ZoneAlarm, not my machine). I had connectivity problems with the internet at first, but after pulling my hair out I finally saw that my ignorance with the settings was the problem.

I have had it a year and I am invisable to hackers, at least that is what all the online tests indicate. I would not be without it, although very knowledgable MS experts claim they had too many problems using it. PS: you have to turn off MS SP2 firewall to use ZoneAlarm Free.

I note that it rarely updates, but when it does... watch out. It takes a long time to download on dial up.

I would not pay for Norton or any other security software. Freeware is good enough for most folks, especially if they do not surf into dangerous waters and avoid attachments and links in their emails.

El Cattivo