How can i defrag "pagefile.sys" and "hiberfil.sys"?

ambigus9

Boot Time Defrag . . SrvJO9p.png . . defrags pagefile.sys

Windows locks hibernation from defragging. But you can cycle hibernation off, defrag drive, cycle hibernation back on.

Cycle hibernation off and on with MS Fixits 50466 and 50462.

or ► Start\ Accessories\ CommandPrompt\ Run as Administrator

To turn OFF type

powercfg -h off

To turn ON type

powercfg -h on

Make sure you defragment your system every week or month using the MS Windows Defragmentation program. Then all your O.S. files will be put together in a special place on your harddisk. That will allow to Windows to reduce the start up time.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

But, Defraggler don't do that for me?, Defraggler is better than Windows Defragmentation program, isn't it?

In other things, i have some problemas with Defraggler.

I tell defraggler that defrag the system in the Boot time, but I think it's not working, because the defraggler time is like 1 minute or less, it shows me: pagefile.sys in the drefragg files, but i don't think that it will take less than 1 minute, i think it should take more time, like 5 or 7 minutes at least.

@ambigus9: No, Defraggler is, in this regard, "much dumber" than the MS Windows Defragmentation program. DF simply puts (defragmented) files in the first free spot it can find.

If "boot time defrag" takes only a minute or less then one can assume your system is already optimized/defragmetated.

Why not the programmers make that Defraggler better than MS Windows Defragmentation program?

I mean, Why don't let that Defraggler optimize the files and that it take into account prefetch files (layout.ini and .pf files)?

I really love Defraggler, I really would like that it optimizate the O.S files from to the begin of the H.D. So, I ask you again, Why not?

Well, offcourse they don't want, but, the Piriform developers can deduce the Algoritms, don't they?,

In fact, I think they can read the original code, and learn how to defrag the S.O Files in the begin of the H.D

Well, may be, it's possible, othe question, Why I must to use Defraggler and not MS Windows Defragmentation program?, Any reason?

• Moderators

I don't think Microsoft wants to reveal the secrets of the Windows optimization and share it with e.g. the Piriform developers.

On Windows XP systems (I don't know about newer OSes) I use this undocumented command which works from Start->Run and in a Command Prompt. Also it doesn't require using the full blown Windows Defrag:

defrag -b c:

Also works this way too:

defrag c: -b

• Moderators

I think it comes down to what you define as 'better'.

different strokes for different folks.

one person may like Windows Defragmenter, others may like Piriform Defraggler - all comes down to personal taste.

use what works best for your situation.

personally, I prefer DF for its speed. those options you spoke of (moving OS files to the end of the drive for example) have been brought up before as a reasonable suggestion.

but it has yet to be implemented (if ever).

instead the Dev Team felt a duplicate File Finder process was more worthy - aarrggghh.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Windows disk defragmenter is okay for common use but...

1. It's interface is too much a spartan one. It doesn't even have a drive map.

2. When running normally it always does a filling gaps operation that may take some time.

3. It's pretty slow on medium-big sized partitions with lots of files.

4. No options to tinker with.

5. No boot time defragmentation at all. So it won't defragment pagefile.sys or hiberfil.sys files either.

I think Piriform developer will implement boot files placement/optimization in a near future. Just be patient. And if not implemented, it's not a great loss either. Newer Windows versions boot fast even without defrag boot placement optimizations (Readyboot).

• Moderators

File Finder is for CCleaner though. :P

whoops, missed it by that much

Thanks a lot!! I think the only think that I would like Defraggler does is put the S.O files in the begin of the H.D and afeter those files, it'll put the most programs used by the user. I don't know, may be the Firefox files, or any browser, after that Office files, it's a suggestion offcourse :D. Something than complicated, it's possible???

• Moderators

Certainly Defraggler does not yet do what you want.

Windows Disk Defragmenter also does not (from memory the last time I used it - years ago) let you choose where things go.

Optimise Drives (Win 8) also has no user controllable options.

They may auto-place things based on their own internal thoughts but I don't recall seeing options where the user can tell it where things go.

• Moderators

Windows Disk Defragmenter also does not (from memory the last time I used it - years ago) let you choose where things go.

I've never used any defrag software that lets an end-user place files exactly where he/she wants them to go - sure there are those which will reorganise a drive putting system files first, big bloated files last, etc., at the expense of the defrag taking forever and possibly prematurely damaging/wearing out the drives because most of the drive contents would have to be moved about.

Having the ability to let someone specifically place a particular file into a certain sector/sector range would to me be too much messing about with a defrag tool that would most likely already have better defrag algorithms than I could ever randomly think of.

I also would like to see Windows Defragmentation (in e.g. Win 7) to have more options. I know the optimization of MS defragmentation in Win XP works because I noticed what happened on my harddrive. But I don't have any solid proof that files are optimized in Win 7. I certainly DO hope it works.

See also this article:

http://www.autoitconsulting.com/site/performance/windows-7-self-optimizing-boot-process/

• Moderators

But I don't have any solid proof that files are optimized in Win 7. I certainly DO hope it works.

What I do to visually verify that things were moved is by using a defrag tool that displays the layout, like what Defraggler does.