Android vs iOS

rridgely

• Moderators

that's a tiny little bug-bear with me with Android.

those stupid names they give their OS's.

a potential buyer in the shop trying to decide between Ice Cream, Jelly Bean, Gingerbread, blueberry-cupcakes, goldilocks or seven-stupid-drawfs isn't going to know which is the latest.

(I guess they'll have to wait till the baseball cap wearing salesman comes over and says "Dude, can I help you?") :P

it must be a great think-tank, brain-storm meeting they have when deciding the next name.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

The latest is the one whose name starts with the letter further on in the alphabet. :)

Rumors are that the next iteration (4.3 is allegedly still JB, but 5.0 should be differnet) will be "Key Lime Pie," although I don't think it has been confirmed in any sort of official statement.

• Moderators

well, there you go. learnt something new today (but probably highlights my ignorance of Android more than anything else)

stands out like a sore tooth now you mention it.

imagine if Microsoft released their Office line with names like Scott, Virgil, and Alan for arguments sake.

one camp of die-hards would argue that Office Alan was sooo much better than the new Office Virgil with it's stupid ribbon menu bar.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Ok, time to 'fess up a bit. I mostly use only 3 apps on this phone. The phone, of course, the weather app, and something called Blackberry Traffic. Have tinkered around with the others, but not much, don't know much about them, don't actually need them.

Traffic came free w/ the phone. I travel a bit and it is very handy. It gives turn by turn voice directions and shows a good bit of information about your itinerary. Won't get you lost.

Is there an equivalent software for the Android OS, that is, one with voice directions?

Sorry to impose, but I have checked around a bit, and it is difficult to get trust-able answers.

I would trust whatever you guys say.

I know about the iPhone's equivalent, it seems quite good.

Dude . . may have to get out my baseball cap. . .

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Android has a bunch of navigation options. It comes with google maps which does turn by turn directions. You can also use tomtom, garmin, ect.(Not free) There are tons of other free options too, I think one of the most popular right now is called Waze which has social functions(traffic, closed roads, ect)

Thanks a lot rridgely.

Didn't know for sure if turn by turn meant it talked.

Thanks for clearing that up.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Yeah turn by turn means it talks. I actually bought tomtom the other day for $20(it was on sale normally about $50).

The plus side is that it downloads the maps and doesn't require you to constantly stream data which saves data usage, and it works when there isn't a cell signal. The app is ok, I still use my stand alone unit but I'm sure it will get better and it was a good price.

• 2 weeks later...

I own an Asus Transformer Tablet (Jelly Bean operating system), the ipad3, blackberry playbook, along with an iphone 4s, 7 ipod touch gen 4, 1 ipod touch gen 5 and a an iphone 4. all the apple products are jailbroken, and that makes them awesome. Having given them all a fair shake (and ive had blackberries in the past too) i like apple best. fluid, smooth, clear, its just the best out there all in all. Once you jailbreak, its absolutely awesome.

Having said that, lots of cool apps/features that you can get with android, and definitely has some advantages over stock apple products. If you aren't into jailbreaking and want cool features, android has a lot to offer. I also like some of the bigger screens.

For battery life i have a new trent power battery which charges the iphone up to 6 times, so never am without power. Also have a mophie juicepack battery case for my phones. Waiting for the new iphone to come out to upgrade again, hoping it isn't too long for a jailbreak as they add so much to a phone. Too bad apple has such a closed garden.

Those blackberry phones are looking pretty tasty too, but as it is I'm wrangling for a windows tablet and can only get so many toys a year.....