Android vs iOS

rridgely

• Moderators

OK @minty_45, the gauntlet has been thrown down or even slapped against your cheek. ;)

You need to justify your claim.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

. . . unsubstantiated claims about their preferred OS.

Personally, I'll never let a little thing like ignorance keep me from having an opinion. Intelligent discussion is much overrated. :P

Thanks for that review, RRidgely. It is about like what I have read. I do really think it is an underrated device, and that may very well be enough to end it.

Now, having said that, you want lively, I'll give ya lively.

Androiders are simply wannabe hacker / coders who call each other up and effuse about the latest way to reach level 100 on some game like Zap the Dragon or some such. They start every sentence with "Dude. . ." and wear their ball caps backwards.

iOSers are corporate yuppies who are content with a locked OS that doesn't really do much and is about as configurable as a brick. They start every sentence with "Exactly what I was thinking actually . . ." and eventually agree with their boss. They wear expensive suits, again to impress the boss.

We QNXers, on the other hand, are the solid citizens who insist on rock solid performance and security. We don't talk much, and wear whatever we darned well please. Except for the yuppies (see above) who carried over from the early blackberry days.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

:lol: I was afraid it might be a little over the top. No offense meant, of course.

Wonderful descriptions login :)

(May I add that most 'Piriform Factory' workers mobile phones use the Piriform OS® )

On the Golden Laptop no doubt. Is there a download link for an ISO??

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Actually, Shane, I was thinking exactly that. And I certainly don't want to irritate someone with your computer skills.

* runs over to unplug router *

• Moderators

Hey login, you've left some of us out of your ministrations!

My phone doesn't have an OS, doesn't access the internet, is devoid of a camera, doesn't play games. In fact it only does phone calls and text messaging. But it does that so well.

Sorry for the slight off topic wander rr, but I didn't want to feel left out. :(

• Moderators

and that thing on his right which you think is the passenger seat, is really the battery when you want to disconnect it from the in-car kit.

the sash around his belly is part of the over-the-shoulder-phone-holder (patent still pending).

my actual preferred device-OS would be Symbian, circa Psion 5mx.

now that was a great little clamshell.

@dennis, if your phone (just a phone, nothing but a phone) is a Nokia or Ericsson, I think Symbian did their OS's for a while.

• Moderators
just a phone, nothing but a phone

I love that phrase. :lol:

Mine is actually a "Siemens MT50", and you'll be shocked to learn that I paid £70 for this just after the turn of the century.

post-8751-0-03630300-1368024299_thumb.jpg

It's probably older than some of you guys, but it still works perfectly and the battery (original) still lasts for a couple of weeks. How many of you can say that?

Weeks?!? :blink: Lucky to get 3 days here.

It's probably older than some of you guys, but it still works perfectly and the battery (original) still lasts for a couple of weeks. How many of you can say that?

A survey of different phone models from guys of battery life could be useful

A similar survey from GALS might prove an interesting contrast ;)

My father was a loyal blackberry user for many years, but I think RIM (now Blackberry) kind of missed their opportunity to join the ranks of the "new" generation of smart phones. Maybe not, depending on how their reboot goes, but I expect it'll be tough to grab users away from the big two, and it also has smaller OS' to contend with (Firefox OS, Chrome OS, Symbian, Windows Phone 8, etc)

That being said, I hope they do well. More choices and more variation in the market is always the best thing for consumers and innovation.

We were "loyal" to Nokia for many years and we had several diffierent models from Nokia past years. But it was (still is pretty) good years ago! :)

Might be something to do with the location. We didn't/don't have much RIM/Blackberries here.

1. Software updates are aweful. To get the newest android on the galaxy I have to use one of the worst programs ever(samsung kies). That is of course when/if the update even comes out at all. All iphones get the latest software.(unless your on like a 3g)

2. All applications work with every iphone. I can go on the app store and there is no guarantee that the app I download will work with my phone. The hardware is so diverse that no app seems to work on everything.

3. As someone pointed out, back ups on android stink.

4. Battery life. My GS3 has a removable battery but it doesn't have the option to turn off lte and the power saver doesn't do much good. I cant get even half a day with this phone and thats not even with me on it very much.

5. Bloatware. Touchwiz/whatever your phone uses, carrier crap that cant be removed,ect.

6. I use lots of apps on both my ipad and my galaxy. The same apps will crash way more on Android.(Pulse especially)

7. Apps aren't as nice on android. Spotify on my ipad and spotify on my nexus look like 2 different programs. The iOS version is way better. This isn't the only app like this, I'm not sure why the android versions are uglier/less feature rich.

8. No visual voice mail built in. ATT has an app to make up for this but its not as seamless as on iOS.

Ahh..... I'll answer to these some day, but not now. :D

iOS is still the best among others.

Nice Apple fanboy spam! GJ Shane! :D

• Moderators

this would make a good Lounge topic on it's own - since we have deviated away from @rridgely original point of discussion. (as these things usually do) :)

and it would be interesting to see any difference between genders with battery life.

good idea Alan !

Might have deviated a tiny bit . . . lively, though. :lol:

On the subject of batteries, this Blackberry has a removable one. I don't know enough about the OS to know why, but sometimes it runs down in half a day, sometimes gets 2 or 3 days. I can't find an easy way to find and shut off the running processes. Calling each one up and closing it seems to work, but boy howdy thats slow.

• Moderators

on my iphone5 i have LTE and wifi turned off, bluetooth on for the car kit, screen brightness about 2/3 up.

making about a dozen calls a day, typically no more than 5 minutes each, no more than 20 SMS/day. in other words, a light user.

it would go down by 10-15%.

last time i used it on a plane(back in my iphone4 days) i was able to watch a full length movie (Hot Fuzz), an episode of Fawlty Towers and a few episodes of IT Crowd before it went into single digits.

playing games or anything for that matter where the screen is always on, tends to drain it to the point you can almost see the battery percentage go down.

but really the battery life is no biggie, it's never to far from a charger, either at the PC or in the car.

i seem to recall they improved the battery life with the iphone5 over the 4.

• Moderators

I like both the OSes, if I had to choose. It would be Android, only ICS or JB though. I really hated GB with a passion, I am a big modder, and I like that the OS is open source. It also has a huge community on how to make the OS better and faster. I think iOS is more stable and runs apps/games better, but the OS was made to run only on certain hardware.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

I didn't have an issue with GB until I got a taste of ICS.

It's like night/day between them, and Jelly Bean only made it tastier.

They're extremely different systems though, and not enough people are aware of that.

For anyone wondering, Android until Gingerbread (2.3.x) was exclusively phone-centric. Honeycomb (3.x) was a tablet OS. ICS (4.0.x) basically merged the two into a single system (to vastly oversimplify) and improved the framework overall. Think of it like the difference between XP and 7, or perhaps 98 and XP (skipping the unloved middle child between each)

My poor Thunderbolt finally got to ICS in Feb (update promised "by the end of August 2012...") so I've been waiting for the kernel source to be released so I can get a stock experience on my bolt (or something close-to) like I had with Thundershed