C: Drive Map does not show up properly during startup

malchick743

Have been using Defraggler without much problem, but lately when the program is started, the Drive Map for C: does not show up automatically and "No Data" is shown, until after pressing any tab below (File list, Search, Drive Map, Health).

Clicking other drives does not show the same problem.

Currently using version 2.13.670. (Previous versions didn't have the problem until after program update.) Updating to a new version seems to make things worse. Downgrading to an older version ends up with other problem, eg. blank screen at startup with no drives visible at all.

Screencap and debug file attached.

Can someone help me? And, will uninstalling and reinstalling the program help at all?

post-66177-0-76488400-1367297864_thumb.jpg

Defraggler.exe.2_13_6702013-04-30_12-45.txt

• Moderators

uninstall, reboot, reinstall (from Piriform or FileHippo) can't hurt and would eliminate that possibility before continuing...

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

uninstall, reboot, reinstall (from Piriform or FileHippo) can't hurt and would eliminate that possibility before continuing...

Been there, done that... NO use at all

Have reinstalled previous version (2.12), and while the problem seems to be solved, upon startup the whole interface goes blank for 10-15 seconds (yeah nothing shows up) before the program starts scanning for all available drives... then for C: drive, have to wait another 10 seconds or so before the HDD's health (SMART) status shows up

Have reinstalled an even older version (2.10.xx) and while everything seems to be OK, starting up the program takes 9-12 seconds before the actual interface shows up and starts scanning for all drives

Version 2.13 seems to be OK in general. Program interface starts up fast and scans for all drives almost immediately, with the exception that for C: drive the Drive Map does not refresh itself and hangs on to "No Data" until after selecting other drives or clicking function tabs below

Now I'm not sure when I'll be comfortable to update to a newer version... maybe not until version 2.15 comes out

• Moderators

Have you tried another third party defrag program to see if you get the same thing?

Being a Piriform support forum, I wouldn't recommend any other defrag program over Defraggler obviously, but the object of the exercise is to see if you're having a problem with Defraggler, or if you have some sort of other glitch with your C: drive.

Rather than you search and end up with something you haven't any experience with, I would suggest having a try with Auslogics "portable" defragger, and although as stated we don't recommend competing software, there are times when you need to try something else to facilitate an elimination process.

It would be worth a try, and being portable, you can simply delete the installation folder you chose when you're finished with it.

Auslogics Disk Defrag: (Freeware Portable Version)

I'll get banned for spamming now. :)

Spam or no spam it's not my concern.

But NO, Auslogics is not quite an alternative for me. In fact, have used its Registry Defrag before and while it seems to do its work, it actually prompts me to buy another software!! Jeez, but I can't seem to trust its freeware anymore...

Back to Defraggler. My C: drive has no problem and in fact it's new -- the old one broke down and I've had it replaced along with two others (D: and E: for data storage). It's just that the startup behavior among the said versions are so different and I can't seem to figure out why.

I know other paid 3rd party alternatives exist, but I'll need to research more on that regarding each one's capabilities first.

Will stick to the older v2.10.424 for now... at least not until another v2.15.xx comes out......

• Moderators

instead of us giving you suggestions only to find you had already tried them, why not tell us exactly what you have tried so far.

or are you happy to stick with the older version?

did you try the portable DF version?.

have you tried running it from Safe Mode?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

The last 2 people I have installed Defraggler (not portable) for on their machine also showed NO DATA. (Looked the same as malchick743's screenshot, disk healthy, marked as good)

When Defraggler was opened the first time after install, it showed NO DATA which then populated soon as 'analyze' was pressed.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Currently using version 2.13.670. (Previous versions didn't have the problem until after program update.) Updating to a new version seems to make things worse. Downgrading to an older version ends up with other problem, eg. blank screen at startup with no drives visible at all.

I there was no problem with a previous version in the past, but now there is a problem with the same version,

then something bad has happened to your system.

Sometimes Windows updates do bad things to the system - there was a very bad one a few weeks ago.

Since you are averse to even experimenting with Portable Auslogics,

an alternative might be to reinstall Windows and try defraggler both before and after installing all the updates.

@Alan_B

Previous versions don't seem to have a problem, that's why I'm downgrading to the version (2.10.xx) which I've been using for some time.

It's just that newer versions are showing different kinds of problem. Maybe the newer version has a new strategy on recognizing and scanning all connected drives? That I don't know.

Sometimes clean Win reinstalls may solve things but that's something I cannot handle. Took me years to maintain the system to what it is today, so reinstallation is a no-no.

But I'm sure my Win is in stable condition since I make regular Ghost backups and I only do so when the system is clean.

Had it not been the hanging Drive Map screen of C: during startup I would've stuck to v2.13 for quite a while, since I don't update Defraggler often.

• Moderators

Spam or no spam it's not my concern.

But NO, Auslogics is not quite an alternative for me. In fact, have used its Registry Defrag before and while it seems to do its work, it actually prompts me to buy another software!! Jeez, but I can't seem to trust its freeware anymore...

I wasn't suggesting using Auslogics as an alternative ...

... there are times when you need to try something else to facilitate an elimination process.

... delete the installation folder you chose when you're finished with it.

Entirely your choice of course.

:)

@Alan_B

Previous versions don't seem to have a problem, that's why I'm downgrading to the version (2.10.xx) which I've been using for some time.

That appears to contradict what you previously said, which indicated to me that the old version worked worse now than previously :-

Downgrading to an older version ends up with other problem, eg. blank screen at startup with no drives visible at all.

That appears to contradict what you previously said, which indicated to me that the old version worked worse now than previously :-

Guess I didn't describe that properly

Was using 2.10.xx for quite some time, then updated to 2.13.xx a few weeks ago

Discovered the problem only recently, so updated to 2.14.xx but still no improvement

Then downgraded to 2.12.xx and ended up with another problem instead

Finally downgraded to the original 2.10.xx and things seem to settle down a bit

I have the same problem since last 2-3 versions released. But I didn't see it as a big problem. It always shows "no data" for C: at startup, but then I click on D: and again on C: and drive map appears. So, it's not that big problem to go back to earlier versions.