Ubuntu 13.04 out today

rridgely

• Moderators

Not sure if anyone cares, but the new version of Ubuntu is out today.

I downloaded using bittorent and it finished in like 6 minutes. Was nice to get like 2.0mbs download speed. :)

I'm probably going to try it out in a few days.

• Moderators

Icedrake are you using steam for linux? What games are you playing.

I haven't tried it out much yet, mostly because none of my games work for linux on steam.

I do hope steam for linux gets better though. I would really like to be able to build small PCs for cheap without having to pay for windows on them. I think it would be cool to be able to build a pretty capable HTPC/Gaming system for like $300. Then again the issue I always come back to is that the cost of Windows isn't that big and the long term benefits always seem to make it worth it.

• Moderators

I haven't liked Ubuntu much since they switched the UI to unity

This!

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

If it works I would keep it. The support for that one is a lot longer than the current version(only 9 months).

Of course you don't get all the newest software either... ugh I hate the way they do software updates. That alone may keep me from trying it.

• Moderators

i too about 6 months ago installed 12.04 LTS on a spare rig to give Ubuntu a spin.

i thought, maybe incorrectly, that if you did the software updates, it would be like having the latest (13.04) just with the version number.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Icedrake are you using steam for linux? What games are you playing.

I haven't tried it out much yet, mostly because none of my games work for linux on steam.

I do hope steam for linux gets better though. I would really like to be able to build small PCs for cheap without having to pay for windows on them. I think it would be cool to be able to build a pretty capable HTPC/Gaming system for like $300. Then again the issue I always come back to is that the cost of Windows isn't that big and the long term benefits always seem to make it worth it.

Yep, installed Steam. Tried out TF2, and FPS was abysmal compared to Windows. It's a shame too, I really liked the Unity interface and everything.

On here now using Firefox from a 12.04 live cd. Thanks for the heads up about 13. Exploring OSs is better entertainment than TV, imo. :D

Edit: I had some concerns that this UEFI / GPT / etc setup would stop this computer from running Linux distros, but Ubuntu 12.04.02 worked fine just as downloaded. Good news, imho.

Edited by login123

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I cant get it to boot on the desktop I was going to try it on today. This system has an i5 with a UEFI motherboard and windows 8 installed. I cant even get the system to load the live dvd to try it out. Going to try again later but I never have had a problem getting the live dvd to boot before.

This desktop has an AMD A-8 with an AMI BIOS.

I don't think ?? it looks first to the DVD drive.

I know that to boot Ubuntu I have to tap escape to open the BIOS and navigate to the DVD drive.

All OK after that, but the Ubuntu setup is slow.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

... I don't think ?? it looks first to the DVD drive. ...

Well, that was wrong. Just started this same EFI computer normally, that is, just started it w/ the 64 bit DVD in the tray, and away we went.

Thanks for that link, Hazel. Made me rethink that earlier post.

Ubuntu Offered 3 choices: try w/o installing, install, or check the disk for errors.

Running in the "Try" mode now from the DVD.

Edit: Just before offering those 3 choices, a message popped up saying secure boot is disabled.

Rridgely, I would be interested to hear how you work it out??

Edited by login123

Had an interesting thought.

The folks at Ubuntu have written drivers for the hardware on this new-ish, EFI computer.

Fernando1, over at the MSFN forums, wrote one for win xp.

However, neither HP nor Atheros have yet produced them for windows xp.

Wonder why? :D

• Moderators

However, neither HP nor Atheros have yet produced them for windows xp.

Probably because they have no incentive to, and HP drivers can be nightmarish on the OSes that are supposed to "support" them.

Ahhh, but Fernando1 and the Ubuntu guys wrote those for free (or donations).

So why would software & hardware manufacturers deliberately ignore an OS that is still supported (till 2014) by microsoft, and still holds twenty-five percent of the market, more or less?

Where's that aluminum foil hat . . . maybe reading too much into it, but . . .

25 % share after ~12 years . . . I really and truly think that the agenda is to eliminate us win xp dinosaurs.

Now, If there exist specific contractual agreements to "write out" win xp, there may be some antitrust lawyers building new houses.