Recovery results in DCM files

Mirou

Hello

I am new to recuva, and have used it to recover files from a Seagate GoFlex hardrive that seems to be damaged. Enclosed two snapshots of the process, the recovered files come out in DCM extension, 1KB in size and I have nothing else.

Could you please help? Thanks, Mirou

post-66106-0-19941000-1366558135_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

According to this ancient thread http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/dcm-files-huh they are, or could be, produced by the Memeo backup prog shipped with the Seagate drive. They don't seem to be much use outside of the backup/recovery process.

I can't see anything on you pic that has a dcm extension. Are you saying that Recuva recovers a file, changes the size and adds .dcm to it?

Hi sorry I could not upload the picture with the dcm files earlier as it was too large. Here it is now.

After I start the recovery process from a damaged file, i create the target folder and this is all i get there. Thanks, Mirou

post-66106-0-89733400-1366679248_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I think I know what's going on

do you have explorer set to show known file type extensions?

My guess is you do not

The files you are seeing in recuva (picture 1)are being display as explorer is set, you are actually seeing file.ext.dcm but recuva ignores the .dcm (I'm going to agree this is a bug)

when you then recover them, windows explorer checks known extensions, say I don't know dcm and poof you get picture 2

a bunch of file-index files from Memeo

best practice for windows is to show extensions so I'm going to suggest this, followed by a rescan of the drive .BUT the developers/bug-fixers read all threads and IMVHO this IS a bug.

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Hmm, I'm not so sure. The first list of files, as displayed by Recuva, is showing undeleted files and gets the list from the MFT. Recuva will recover any of these files no matter what the extension is, or whether there is one at all. Also the file sizes are well, not 1k.

What happens if one specific file is chosen to be recovered, to a new folder to keep things separate? What is recovered? With such a large amount of files - over a third of a million - it's best to go one step at a time.