Big changes coming for Win 8

Willy2

• Moderators

I use the ipad for the majority of what I do online. I have a desktop that I use for gaming and office work though.

If I wasn't a teacher(I use the following a lot: powerpoint, smart notebook, video editing, website creation) then I could probably get away with just an ipad.

I actually bought a surface rt but I returned it. It worked great but the specs are just too low to be a compelling replacement for a laptop. It was slow compared to the ipad and way slow compared to a laptop. If the surface had run java, I probably would have kept it.(ipad cant)

I'm going to keep an eye on the new atom based machines that intel mentioned a few weeks ago. If they really can deliver usable machines with touch for $300 or less with full WIndows then I will buy one the day it comes out.

• Moderators

If I replaced my desktop it would never be with a laptop.

The ability to swap out/upgrade parts easily is something I wouldn't get with a laptop, and I think touch screens are a non starter for me on anything but a tablet type device. I can only imagine the aching shoulders one would suffer on anything but a tablet lying flat in front of you.

It would be sad if desktops were ever phased out.

@DennisD: And how many times did you swap/upgrade parts in your desktop ? I also had a desktop, but I added/upgraded parts only once or twice. And on my previous laptop I only added extra memory. And I used that laptop from 2004 to 2012.

If there was a powerful "tablet" with a big screen, where I could plug in the usual things (CD burner, mouse, keyboard, SD cards, etc.) then I certainly would be interested. Then I would start to consider to move to such a computer. But currently I am very satisfied with my Win 7 laptop.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I think the time is perfect to make the announcement that XP is returning. It's all in the name .. the same old reliable, workhorse without the niggles.

Just thinking out loud.

You & me both Dennis! I have an 8-year old WinXP desktop that is primarily used by my wife. Under the threat of death, I HAVE to keep it running. She's tried my Win7 laptop and still can't figure it out.

Last fall, the HDD finally gave up the ghost, so I bought a new 500GB SATA drive for it and scratch loaded WinXP back on it. The scratch reload gave it quite a performance boost. Last month, I replaced the PSU (bad fan) and finally, the rear case fan and CPU cooler fan (both noisey) for maintence purposes. While I had it apart, I cleaned the CPU & heatsink and applied new AS5 thermal compound which dropped the temp about 2~3°C.

Still love WinXP. It just works! :) Long live the desktop.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

@DennisD: And how many times did you swap/upgrade parts in your desktop ? I also had a desktop, but I added/upgraded parts only once or twice. And on my previous laptop I only added extra memory. And I used that laptop from 2004 to 2012.

Quite a few times Willy.

At different times I've replaced the original hard drive, the DVD ROM drive, increased the memory, added an extra internal hard drive and an additional DVD ROM.

And don't forget the ability to do things like slaving a laptop hard drive to my primary hard drive with an adapter cable to recover files. I did that for a neighbour. A desktop is far more versatile than either a laptop or a tablet.

It isn't just the adding or replacing of hardware, it's simply having the ability to do it, and do it easily

I'm not denigrating the alternatives as they all have their uses and advantages, but I wouldn't be without a desktop computer.

• Moderators

If we could deal away with overtly flashy graphics and nonsensical advertisements we could save hundreds of millions of dollars in electricity generation cost.

Advertising on TV alone would save at least 2 hours per day!

• Moderators

for me the laptop is only an option if you need to be mobile (or maybe if desk space is scarce).

home, work, school, holidays... that sort of thing.

if the laptop is only going to be desk bound, you might as well get a desktop PC.

upgrading and servicing are the key benefits with desktops.

mobility for laptops.

but horses for courses....

me, i never see the desktop dying, if for no other reason than the business end of town.

can't see all the data entry clerks and secretarys using tablets.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-its-over-7000013964/

- Don't write off Win 7 too early. Putting more emphasis on Win 7 would certainly be positive for MS' reputation.

- The GUI of Win 8 has scared (off) a lot of users (me included). Too many GUI changes. For A LOT OF folks a computer is an instrument to work with, not a gadget with a flashy GUI. "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

- Windows dead ? Issuing Win 8 certainly wasn't positive for the "life expectency" of Windows in general.

- Too early too declare Windows dead, IMO.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!