Fav Bands and Music

kobrakommander56

I thought this would be an interesting Topic, it was sparked from a convo between Rridgely and I. So list your favorite bands and tunes, and what you would recommend to people. Dont go so overboard.

Rolling Stones, Beatles, Tom Petty, Radiohead, Modest Mouse, Led Zepplin, Blue Oyster Cult, U2, Wham (haha), (Listen to them>The Flaming Lips<LISTEN TO THEM), Matisyahu, Bob Marley, Nas, Danger Doom (album), Immortal Technique, Paul Oakenfold, Reel Big Fish, Dave Matthews Band, Talking Heads, Queen, i could keep going.

IPB Image

Insert random C4 joke here.

• Moderators

My favorites.

U2

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

Guns N Roses

Aerosmith

Led Zeppelin

The Doors

Black Sabbath

AC/DC

Dave Mathews

Tom Petty

Pearl Jam

Bruce Springsteen

Bob Dylan

Stone Temple Pilots

Queen

Red Hot Chilipeppers

Metallica

The Who

Paul McCartney and Wings

Velvet Revolver

I'm stopping but if you want more just ask. :D

Hard Rock is my fav:

Korn

Mushroomhead

Rammstein

Disturbed

Coal Chamber

Rob Zombie

Sevendust

Metallica

Megadeath

Powerman 5000

etc.

I also like Classic Rock:

ACDC

Led Zeppelin

Guns & Roses

Ozzy Osbourne

Billy Idol (sometimes)

Def Leppard

I can put up with some Rap:

Eminem

Lil John & the Eastside Boys

Dr. Dre, Ludacris, Puff Daddy or whatever he calls himself now (not often, but when I'm in the mood)

Country & Pop:

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Punk Rock:

Very rarely; almost as bad as country & pop!

R & B:

We won't go there.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

I listen to Hard Rock, Instrumental Metal ("Instrumetal"), Instrumental Rock, and Metal. For the past ten years I've primarily listened to Black Metal, and Death Metal and it even sounds lite/easy listening to me now - nothing is heavy enough anymore.

This isn't even close to all the stuff I like since I have over 2000 audio CD's:

Accept, Amorphis, Benediction, Black Sabbath, Bolt Thrower, Candlemass, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Cathedral, Coroner, Danzig, Death, Demolition Hammer, Dimmu Borgir, Dio, Dismember, Grave, Grip Inc., Emperor, Entombed (their old stuff when they played death metal), HammerFall, Hypocrisy, Incantation, Jason Becker, Joe Satriani, Judas Priest, Kreator, King Diamond, Mayhem, Mercyful Fate, Meshuggah, Moonspell, Morbid Angel, Motorhead, MSG, Napalm Death, Nevermore, Overkill, Ozzy Osbourne, Paradise Lost (up to the 1995 release Draconian Times), Primus, Pungent Stench, Raise Hell, Samael, Savatage, Six Feet Under, Slaughter (Canada) (no not the glam-metal band from the late 80's-90's), Slayer, Steve Vai, Tiamat, Trouble, Type O Negative, Unleashed, Vinnie Moore, Vision Of Disorder, Yngwie Malmsteen

This isn't even close to all the stuff I like since I have over 2000 audio CD's...

2000 CDs?! That is awesome! It sounds like mostly stuff that I listen to as well.

I don't really get into crazy screaming rock, like Zao and Chaos Rising; I like hard rockers that know how to sing, like Disturbed and Sevendust. I can listen to bands like Slipknot, but I have to take it in small doses, otherwise it can get annoying; can't have too much mayhem.

I also like some techno-type rock, like Nine Inch Nails, or Dark Soho, but I don't have too much of that in my library. Really, I'll listen to most modern forms of rock, and some classic stuff.

ding, ding!

I listen too....

Staind

Breaking Benjamin

Killswitch Engage

Three Days Grace

3 Doors Down

Rolling Stones

SevenDust

Tool

Static-X

In Flames

Rammstein

Yellow Card "Rarely"

Green Day

Beastie Boyz

Linkin Park

Ozz

Avenged Sevenfold

There's more but that all in my taste on my PC

rridgely, I missed your first 'r' last time.

rridgely, rridgely, rridgely, rridgely ........I think I've got it!

But I'm sure you rreally don't give rrat's!

And anybody else forgets Pink Floyd .........back of the class with kk56! :angry:

My music folder contains:

AC/DC.

Bruce Dickinson.

Black Sabbath.

Iron Maiden.

Guns N' Roses.

Judas Priest.

Led Zeppelin.

Pink Floyd.

Metallica.

Rush.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Queen.

Kiss.

The Rolling Stones.

Tool.

Dream Theater.

Velvet Revolver.

Mot?rhead.

Thinking about getting a few CDs of Rob Halford's solo career this week. ;)

Just a sample of some of the music I've got.

The Stranglers

Scissor Sisters

Alice Cooper

Aha

BB King

The Beatles

Blondie

Bon Jovi

Beach Boys

Texas

Beautiful South

OMD

Barenaked Ladies

Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Kiss

The Who

Neil Young

Jean Michel Jarre.

This is just a very small sample, I've got about 35gb worth of mp3's. I don't listen to my CD's anymore I've got most of them loaded on to the PC.

I forgot to mention I do like video game type music as well, sort of hard to not like it since I grew up in the video game era which is still popular.

lol, that's funny cause I do too! You guys might think this is retarded, but I've got the music from a bunch of old Sega Genesis games:

Sonic 2

Sonic 3

Sonic & Knuckles

Sonic Spinball

Ranger-X / X-Ranza (best Genesis tunes out there!)

Rocket Knight

etc.

And a few N64 soundtracks:

Goldeneye 007 (of course!)

Perfect Dark

Conker's BFD (I made my own custom Windows sound scheme with the 1-liners too)

And it's a good thing Inu-Ya mentioned it; I almost forgot Static-X! Also, Tool is awesome, and I can dig Breaking Benjamin, Three Doors Down, Staind, and Linkin Park.

ding, ding!

• Moderators

You guys might think this is retarded, but I've got the music from a bunch of old Sega Genesis games

Not retarded at all. I remember some early first gen PlayStation 1 games that had the audio tracks on the game disc as if they were and audio CD, the tracks could be ripped with an audio CD ripping program - of course I ripped all the tracks of my games that were made that way, too bad game developers don't have them that way now. Probably the most game music I have is from the Final Fantasy soundtracks, I also like the qwerky techo sound from Descent 3 (my favorite spaceship fighter game of all time) which was downloadable in low quality 128kbps mp3 format many years ago on mp3.com by AutoPilot.

I remember some early first gen PlayStation 1 games that had the audio tracks on the game disc as if they were and audio CD, the tracks could be ripped with an audio CD ripping program - of course I ripped all the tracks of my games that were made that way, too bad game developers don't have them that way now.

Yeah, I had an old FPS type game for PC called Tech War; it was made after a series of books written by William Shatner. The only game in the world (other than Tomb Raider 1 & 2) that ran on my dad's computer (1.5 GB HD, 16 MB of RAM, only cost $2,750; what a deal)!

Anyway, it was set up as a CD Extra, so you could put it in your CD player and listen to the music as well; four "awesome rap music tracks!" Actually, it was cheesy techno, but I thought it was the coolest stuff, and I listened to it all the time; ah, the good ol' days.

ding, ding!

• Moderators

I'm about to piss a few of you off but I'm gonna go for it. :D

I dont like to insult anyones taste in anything but how can people listen to death/black/whatever else you want to call it metal? To me bands that put themselves under that tag just seem to always suck. Most of their songs try to be so heavy that they sound stupid, I mean how many songs can you stand about death, torture, hell, satan, ect. Most of those songs are repetetive as hell and come off cheesy to me.

I mean bands like Alice in Chains are about as heavy as they come but their songs are well done.(man in a box, angry chair,ect. Great band if you dont know who that is.)

Rock music isnt supposed to be about flowers and happy go lucky but in the past it was intelligent. To me these bands are making up for a lack in creativity and talent by going with this gimmick.

Yeah, that was sort of what I meant when I said that I like bands that actually sing, and I don't like my music too heavy. But as far as not liking the topics sung about, well, that generalization can be made about any type of music. Some genres favor love, some hate, some hos and bling; to say that one topic can get old, well, I don't really agree with that. It is hard to say that any topics and lyrics are original, but then again, as long as they aren't a direct copy of someone else's song, they all are original.

To some people, all of the music you (rridgely) listen to all sounds the same; to some people, all of my music sounds the same. But to say that one type is better than another, well, that of course can be argued to the death. I think as long as we can all agree that country and R & B suck, we are good to go. :D

Just kidding.

By the way, I am currently listening to Werewolves in London by Warren Zevon, and that is one song that is definitely original!

Little ol' lady got mutilated late last night... :huh:

ding, ding!

• Moderators

But as far as not liking the topics sung about, well, that generalization can be made about any type of music. Some genres favor love, some hate, some hos and bling; to say that one topic can get old, well, I don't really agree with that.

The thing is that those bands only sing about 3 or 4 things. But I can go from listening to the stones with angie(kind of a love song about breaking up) to The beatles with let it be(song about overcoming hardship) to aerosmith love in an elevator(no mystery there) or bob dylan's hurrican(a song about a boxer accused of murder) to Pink Floyd and money(need I explain?). I mean those bands are too limited with what they can do and their lyrics just arent very good(and usually the singer sucks too).

(I can name a million other things songs can be about too. :D )

But to say that one type is better than another, well, that of course can be argued to the death. .

This is a place to discuss... So I'm discussing. :P:D