Rip-off site using CCleaner to install crapware

etheReal

I don't know if you have seen it yet (I guess so) but there's this site www.ccleaner.de that says it is an un-official download site for Ccleaner.

It looks pretty legit at first glance, so probably a lot of people will fall for it. It installs some crap in addition to Ccleaner and also removes the google search plugin from firefox and sets yahoo as the standard search.

The site is basically against German law because it has no valid impressum, so maybe you can shut them down?

• Moderators

Hi etheReal, and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for posting this information.

That CCleaner download is absolutely to be avoided being spiked with traps for the unwary (I've checked it out), and I'm sure is completely illegal being repackaged in this way.

The barely visible terms for one of the "passengers" are also a complete eye opener, making this download potentially a lot worse than it at first appears.

I'll pass this info to the developers, and hopefully others will see this post and avoid that download location.

Guest Keatah

Piriform should offer some kinda "Official" PDF file when you download CCleaner - maybe with a unique number. Like a certificate of authenticity proving that indeed it was downloaded from Piriform itself.

And they could keep a tiny database with your name and email (or not), and a serial number. Make it all colorful and happy and stuff. Make it fun! Make it 100% optional. And none of it would be for licensing or DRM or any of that crap. Just plain fun!

In fact I want to make one now!

Piriform should offer some kinda "Official" PDF file when you download CCleaner - maybe with a unique number. Like a certificate of authenticity proving that indeed it was downloaded from Piriform itself.

Anyone could download CCleaner.exe plus the "Official" PDF file,

and a fraudulent site could then provide a tampered executable together with a duplicate of the original "Official" PDF file.

I think you may be able secure/protect/encrypt a PDF in a way that validates whether it is an authentic copy,

but that PDF would not prove that the downloaded executable was free of corruption.

When I inspect the properties of Portable CCleaner.exe v4.00 I see a Digital Certificate.

This is issued by Piriform Ltd and Valid from 06/07/2011 to 23/08/2013.

This is incorporated with the executable and it authenticates the Executable and its originator with SHA1 encryption.

That satisfies me that it is safe to run.

Guest Keatah

I mean this as a fun thing. Like a plaque to hang on the wall in my computer den. Or a sticker to slap on my lappy.

If there is any question about a corrupted ccleaner.exe (why would there be?) I'd just go and d'l a new copy from piriform.

If there is any question about a corrupted ccleaner.exe (why would there be?) I'd just go and d'l a new copy from piriform.

By corrupted I mean maliciously tampered with.