CCleaner v4.0

MrG

• Admin

cc4_128.pngThis month, we're excited to announce the release of CCleaner v4.0! Along with new improved graphics and icons, major performance increases, support for new applications - Version 4.0 also includes two new tools:

Duplicate File Finder

You may not realize how many duplicate files are stored on your computer, taking up valuable hard drive space. CCleaner now includes a duplicate file finder tool, which can quickly find these files, and allow you to choose which ones to delete – freeing up more space on your PC than ever before!

System and Browser Monitoring

If you’re a CCleaner Professional user, you can now set CCleaner to run every time you shut down your browser, or you can set it to monitor your entire system in the background and detect when to Clean based on disk space that can be saved!

monitor.png

Also...

Huge thanks to all our users who have bought CCleaner Professional! Not only does this provide us with the resources to continue improving our great software - it allows us to invest in future products, like CCleaner Android and a new Cloud solution coming in a few weeks time!

Download CCleaner v4.0 now

Full release notes:

• New improved graphics and icon.
  • Improved internal architecture for better performance.
  • New Duplicate File Finder tool.
  • New System and Browser Monitoring (Pro Version).
  • Optimized and improved Registry Cleaning.
  • Added cleaning for Avast Antivirus 8, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Samsung Kies and Real Player 16.
  • Improved Drive Wiper performance.
  • Optimized Startup item detection algorithm.
  • Optimized 64-bit builds on Windows 7 and 8.
  • Many performance improvements and bug fixes.

Download now from www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Follow us on FacebookAt facebook.com/Piriform

Follow us on Google+

Follow us on Twitter

View the full blog post

Seems to work ok and bug free. Only minor issue I found was the duplicate file finder being called just "File finder", which to me is a search function (and I thought that's what it was till I realised there was no search box). Change the button to "Duplicate file finder" or if that's too long, just "Duplicate finder" rather than file finder.

Also the dupe file finder really needs the option to filter results by file type/extension, without that it's of little use (to me)

But far fewer minor niggles that I was worrying I'd find in a new version ;)

I didnt even notice that CCleaner now has version 4.0. Good thing, I suddenly had the mood to hit the check for updates button and that's how I found out. I'm now about to try it and from the initial look, it now has adapted the new Metro-ish look and feel from Windows 8. Thanks for the update, Piriform!!

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Thanks for the Great product! I'd agree that labeling the Duplicate file finder as 'File Finder' in tools seems unintuitive.

Feature request: MD5 duplicate searches. I know it would be SLOW, but it would be ACCURATE.

Suggestion: Perhaps this could be a point of differentiation/value add for PRO users: Add MD5 search for paid users (and ability to convert to NTFS hard-links!)

My unsolicited .02.

(and ability to convert to NTFS hard-links!)

OH THE HORROR :o

Why would you want to destroy WinSXS, System32, and SysWow64 which make extensive use of hard-links.

I admit I do not know what you mean by "ability to convert to",

but I have seen "power-users" who have taken ownership of WinSXS and done things that they could only undo by a fresh installation of Windows.

I have just tested version 4 and am pleased to say that it does NOT make the error of many file finders which report CMD.EXE as being identical files in WinSXS and System32 etc.

• Moderators

woohoo, no tiles. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

... hard-links. I admit I do not know what you mean by "ability to convert to",

Functionality that would consolidate the duplicate files into a single file which is referenced everywhere the former 'duplicate' files were. - So all the files would still be available, but they would no longer be physical duplicates.

Suppose file 'A' is copied into five separate locations, creating a total of 6 duplicates. Converting 'A' to hard-links would place an NTFS link where the duplicate files reside. - transparently. Potentially freeing considerable disk space.

Each identical copy could be moved, deleted as desired. Only if a copy were editied, all would be edited. if a copy were deleted, only its instance would be removed, the others would be fine. I'm not sure I'm explaining this well, perhaps google lookup on ntfs hard-link might give a better explanation. There are products out there which provide this capability - TreeSize Professional is one.

Many thanks Piriform :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.