Recuva recovers JPEGs but with wrong file names

melhughes

Hello,

I am new to Recuva but used it last night on my hard drive to find some JPEGs that were mistakenly deleted from my laptop. The s/w found many JPEG images but the associated file/folder name for each specific picture was wrong. For example, these images were all golf course holes and the s/w recovered an image that was from Ballybunion but showed the folder/file name as Lahinch (which is another Irish course).

I don't understand how the s/w can find the image but misidentify its name. I deleted several hundred images by mistake and it will take FOREVER for me to look at each image and recognize which one it is since the file/folder name is wrong.

Am I doing something wrong or is this anomaly normal? I guess I thought that if the s/w found the image it would necessarily have the correct name as well since each image is named for the course it is from. Looks like I was wrong.

Can anyone help unravel this mystery?

Thanks,

Mel

• Moderators

The only explanation I can offer is that - using a single file as an example - the deleted file's data clusters have been subsequently reused to hold another file, and that file is either live or has itself been deleted. So when you look at the entry for the deleted file in the Master File Table it points to data holding another file, and that's what gets recovered.

This is quite normal for a number of files, and I can see it if I run Recuva on my drive. Perhaps there has been some activity on your drive that would increase the chances of this happening. Are you recovering to the same drive? Have you done any mass copies, or file movements, etc? Defrag?

You destroy and put beyond recovery any deleted files that are within a specific partition and are over-written because :-

You try to save and recover them to the same partition ;

Or normal daily activities are writing updates to that partition.

If your deleted files are in Partition C:\ then you need to minimise your use of Windows and any internet browser,

and you need to use an alternative recovery destination such as an external (flash) drive or another partition.

NB

In one hours use this morning :-

Windows 7 has written 27 MB to partition C:\

and my browser has written 232 MB to partition E:\

If everything was all in partition C:\ then 2 GB of deleted file space would be overwritten each day.