CCleaner used to run fast - now it is extremely slowly.

mrpbnm

I think CCLeaner runs extremely slowly. It used to run and close down in a few seconds. Now it takes forever. For example:

today I did an analysis before running the actual cleaner (something I never do). It took 2 minutes and 4 seconds to clean ~18 MB of files while set at "Secure file deletion (slower) Simple overwrite (1 pass)". Doesn't that seem excessive for such a small amount of data?

analysis_zpsfc2c99ae.jpg

• Moderators

If you use winapp2.ini and/or CCEnhancer remove them first to see if it speeds up CCleaner.

Also according to the screenshot IE had 1475 files and since most installed antivirus will scan everything that CCleaner is removing and coupling that along with any secure deletion mode can equal a time penalty.

Actually the screenshot shows an analysis of 167.1 MB

Why was only 18 MB cleaned.

Since you have not updated CCleaner for 5 months there must be a change in your system.

Perhaps a new anti-malware system that interferes with CCleaner actions

Perhaps a virus infection that is restricting performance - and also doing far worse things than slowing down CCleaner.

• Moderators

I wonder if you untick the cleaning of McAfee Antivirus if that could improve your speed. I know some antivirus software dislikes anything deleting logs, etc. But then again after I just did a 1-pass secure deletion of VLCPortable ("VLC Media Player Portable") it took a long time to get rid of it, so the amount of files, the file size, etc., could cause the slowdown.

Well I first updated to the latest version. That didn't fix it. Then I turned off the 1 pass secure deletion. That made a world of difference: cleaning 300 MB took seconds instead of minutes.

The question is: "How clean is clean without any overwrite?" Would it be a simple matter to undelete all of the files that appear to be deleted?

• Moderators

without overwrite it's like pressing SHIFT+DELETE

which is fine for what ccleaner's main goal is:junk cleaning

if you want secure you have to deal with the extra time it takes to, well, securely wipe.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com