Win Defender vs. MS essentials

Willy2

All installer files are the same, exept for the EULA.rtf and CompAppsContent.dll

http://i.imm.io/1cExT.png

The one on Microsoft Update is the same prerelease but they determined it was stable enough to be rtm

• 2 weeks later...

Not using MSE at the moment but have been told new version allows you to decide how much cpu cycles you want to use for a scan.

I haven't checked it yet. I am going to investigate that...

EDIT:

For clarifying things up, there is no such an option for common usage. There is an option for limiting CPU usage during SCHEDULED SCANS only. And this option isn't new either.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I tried out MSE v4.3.216.0 on my XP system and I can't believe they've made it scan even slower. 45 minutes for a "Quick Scan", and it was going over 7 hours for a Full Scan which prompted me to immediately uninstall it. I'm ditching it for good on this old computer, can't be bothered with the slowness.

• 3 weeks later...

@Hazelnut: I am curious. Win 7 has two folders, "C:\program files\Defender" (for Defender) and "C:\program files\Security client" (for MS Essentials). Does Win 8 have both folders as well ?

@hazelnut: A second question; What's the name of that "Windows Defender" Service in Win 8 ? "WinDefend", "Msmpsvc" or are both Services available/present in Win 8 ? Or does it have a different name ?

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

I can confirm on my Win8 PC that it is called Windows Defender Service and that there is only the one service.

(msmpeng.exe is the actual program name which you may have been referring to @Willy2)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 3 months later...

Questions:

1. Is MS security essentials the same as Windows Defender ?

see below

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

@Krit86: Back in march 2013 I was confused about the relationship between the two. Please read the entire thread. I also needed the info for helping to develop a program called "Windows Repair".

http://www.tweaking.com/

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Windows defender is only the same as microsoft security essentials in windows 8. For the above OS like windows 7 you should use security essentials.

One note though. You should never, and i mean never have more than one antivirus installed on your pc. If you do that, they will eliminate each other, putting your pc at risk.

Windows defender is only the same as microsoft security essentials in windows 8. For the above OS like windows 7 you should use security essentials.

One note though. You should never, and i mean never have more than one antivirus installed on your pc. If you do that, they will eliminate each other, putting your pc at risk.

Your last statement is not entirely true. Immunet 3 is a cloud antivirus meant to coexist with other relevant AV programs out there.

Your last statement is not entirely true. Immunet 3 is a cloud antivirus meant to coexist with other relevant AV programs out there.

Ok. I am sorry. Really i never heard or seen that software. So i guess you right about that.

But what i meant was something like running security essentials and avast for exemple, is really bad. And in that point, do not come tell me that i am wrong because i already had duzens and duzens of clients who made that mistake and they OS whent straigth to garbage.