Drive Wiper used up most of my disk space?

joolee

So after clearing some disk space using the disk cleaner I was having a browse through the available features the program has and I clicked on "Tools" then "Drive Wiper" and I automatically assumed that this will wipe things off my disk for more free space.

So I ran it and after the run which took like maybe an hour or so I looked at my disk and it didn't free up space? To my shock it used up more space instead!!!

At first my disk space was about 17.6 GB/50.7 GB now its like 65 MB/50.7 GB???? How did this happen and how can I reverse this disaster!! I was having high hopes for this program as well :-( I had a browse through my program files in my local disk space and did disk cleanups but I couldn't find anything worth uninstalling or deleting!! Please help!!!!!

Thanks if you do reply! x

• Moderators

Drive Wiper will not give you any more free space. It overwrites unallocated space so that any previously deleted data can't be recovered.

Drive wipers work by filling the disk with files containing zeroes or some other bit pattern, then deleting these files. It is normal for the disk to fill when running drive wiper. At the end, at which you may possibly be by now, your free space will return as before. Don't cancel the job half-way through.

If you have cancelled the job look for a file in the root directory with a long apparently random file name. Post here with what you find.

Drive Wiper will not give you any more free space. It overwrites unallocated space so that any previously deleted data can't be recovered.

Drive wipers work by filling the disk with files containing zeroes or some other bit pattern, then deleting these files. It is normal for the disk to fill when running drive wiper. At the end, at which you may possibly be by now, your free space will return as before. Don't cancel the job half-way through.

If you have cancelled the job look for a file in the root directory with a long apparently random file name. Post here with what you find.

I didn't cancel the job but it seems like I lost a lot of space? I deleted some files and not its on 11 GB and every time I run the cleaner now it uses space up instead of removing space? But when its finished it has space again but not as much as I originally had. :(

CCleaner doesn't consume any of my free space. Drive Wiper actually gave me some space once by reducing the shadow copy volume.

If you can find this folder or file . . dl7dF.png . . delete it.

You can always free up space by removing some older restore points in CCleaner\ Tools\ System Restore. I'm comfortable with keeping only five points.