Unable to recover encrypted file?

Trejox

hello, I recently encrypted a few video files (gave them green text when encrypting via right click->properties) and then I believe I accidently deleted them (or just lost)

I downloaded Recuva and when trying to recover one of them I got the "Unable to recover encrypted file" error message, it says it's Path is C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles etc.

is there a way to recover my encrypted video files?

thanks!

• Moderators

I believe, this is kinda the chance you take when you encrypt...the point is to make them un-recoverable by normal means. you'll have to investigate the kind of encryption you used and hope for the best

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Is it possible that before you encrypted them you downloaded them via Firefox,

Could there be non-encrypted but possibly normal deleted versions in the Firefox download folder ?

I believe, this is kinda the chance you take when you encrypt...the point is to make them un-recoverable by normal means. you'll have to investigate the kind of encryption you used and hope for the best

well i'm on windows 7 I simply right clicked -> properties -> advanced options -> encrypt (my windows is in spanish i'm not sure if encrypt is the exact word, perhaps encypher), it made the text green

Is it possible that before you encrypted them you downloaded them via Firefox,

Could there be non-encrypted but possibly normal deleted versions in the Firefox download folder ?

I did download them via firefox and encrypted them afterwards with a folder afterwards, yet I don't understand how to reach the path? In AppData->Local there's no Mozilla, I don't really understand this process.. they're not in the download folder anymore, I didn't make any copies, I used CC too

Is there anything I can do? When using recuva I can see most of the files there in the list but i'm unable to retrieve them because they're encrypted

yet I don't understand how to reach the path? In AppData->Local there's no Mozilla, I don't really understand this process.

Just because you cannot see it now does not mean it was not there - otherwise where did Firefox keep its profiles ?

I suggest you select the contents of the code-box below and use Ctrl+C to copy in your paste buffer,

and then launch Windows Explorer and click on the address bar (at the top) and use Ctrl+V to copy from your paste buffer,

and with luck Windows Explorer will then show the contents of the Firefox profile

C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\

they're not in the download folder anymore, I didn't make any copies, I used CC too

By default CC will not delete the contents of the download folder - did you add this to the "Includes" ?

Due you use normal deletion or secure/over-write deletion ?