Windows 7 NOW Requires Me TO Disk Check For My Computer's Drives and Partitions?

montecarlo1987

Hello.

I need your help. For the last few days, I have been receiving on start up of my Windows 7 64-bit operating system the message on a black and white DOS like window screen (1 sample):

Checking file system on D:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is WORK DESKTOP.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.

To skip disk checking, press any key within 10 second(s).

...with many more of the same messages FOR ALL my internal physical hard drive partitions in my desktop computer.

Okay, let me elaborate -- you need to know this background: Now this ENTIRE issue started OVER a week ago for ONLY ONE drive/partition asking for a disk check for consistency for my newly installed Windows 8 Pro 64-bit partition I created/installed on another physical hard drive from the perspective of Windows 7 64-bit. Yes, I have 2 operating systems on my computer -- Windows 7 64-bit on one physical hard drive partition; I have my Windows 8 Pro 64-bit on another physical hard drive partition; and I have 3 other physical hard drives with several individual drives/partitions on them for GBs of my backed up data and other files and folders I have saved. NOTE: I do NOT dual boot. I use BIOS to switch between the OS drive I wish to boot from for whatever Windows OS I want to use. I have had no problems right along. Okay, enough of the background.

Let me add, this "One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" message(s) happened ONLY WITH startup for my Windows 7. NOTE: I did NOT receive or do NOT currently receive any such message for disk checking during booting with my Windows 8 Pro. Windows 8 will proceed to the Windows 8 lock screen without any issues when booting.

Now, let me back up: When this first happened OVER A WEEK AGO, when Windows 7 was loading, I would get the same check disk message above but FOR ONLY I would need to check for consistency for the Windows 8 Pro 64-bit drive/partition as I have previously said. This is my H drive from the perspective of my Windows 7 64-bit OS. It would do this each time I booted into my Windows 7 for several days. I would hit a key to override it ever time to avoid disk checking. In the mist of this issue happening, I transferred some digital camera images I originally placed on the desktop on my Windows 7 and move them to my Windows 8 Pro's desktop. I planned on using them on my Windows 8 Pro at a later time. Now, I knew I did NOT have much personal data associated with my newly installed Windows 8 Pro 64-bit drive/partition -- mostly the files and folders from the Windows 8 64-bit installation that would be impacted from a disk check. I then figured, what the heck; I might as well have Windows 7 check for errors with my Windows 8 Pro's drive/partition and get it done with so I would not get this message any longer. My newly moved images to the desktop would not get harmed I said to myself. Windows 7 was asking for a disk check long BEFORE I moved the images to the Windows 8 Pro's desktop. So when I rebooted into my Windows 7 and allowed my Windows 8 to be checked for consistency, I found it was deleting files and the very images I transferred over to my Windows 8 desktop in rapid succession on the black and white DOS like screen. After the disk check ended, I booted over to my Windows 8 to see if those images were still on my desktop! I found the images WERE GONE!!! I was very angry, but I DID make a backup of these lost images for my external hard drive to store a copy of them. Phew!!! I was safe from losing them! Anyways through all of that, I assumed I must of fixed whatever was wrong with this consistency/disk check for my Windows 8 Pro drive/partition per Windows 7. I was able to boot into Windows 8 Pro without any issues after Windows 7 performed the disk check. All "seemed" good.

After that happened, I rebooted back into my Windows 7 again. Now, I found this happening: FOR EVERY PHYSICAL HARD DRIVE's DRIVE/PARTITION I HAVE CREATED ON MY COMPUTER -- regardless if it is either Windows OS drive or any one of my several backup drive/partitions of my saved data files and folders, Windows 7 is requesting a disk check to be performed ON ALL DRIVES/PARTITIONS for consistency. Yes, even Windows 8 Pro's drive/partition AGAIN! What I have been doing is that I am hitting a key to stop the disk check to occur and it provides me the same message above for the next drive/partition. In total, it asks FOR ALL of my 8 drives/partitions on my system to have a disk check for consistency NOW!!! I AM SCARRED TO DEATH TO DO THIS!!! I AM AFRAID I WILL AGAIN LOOSE MY DATA THROUGHOUT MY PARITIONS/DRIVES!!! I have GBs of stored files and folders on my internal hard drives I have backed up!!! So right along now, I am just pressing any key to bypass the disk check for ALL my 8 partitions/drives when Windows 7 loads each time.

What do you think I going on here??? Please explain and do you have any solutions or even some ideas what is occurring??? I need some sound guidance. Please reply.

Thanks!

• Moderators

sounds to me like the HD your Win7 OS lives on is failing? how old is it?

unless you let the check drive for consistency do a test, you will always get that message at startup of the Win7 OS. (unless you use the chkntfs /x DOS command)

you seem to have a backup of all your data, if not, that should be your first priority.

if it was me, I would schedule a scan at boot-up of all my drives (chkntfs /d).

then it would be up to you if you are happy to live with the drive and carry on, or do a pre-emptive strike, replace the drive and reload Win7.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Windows 7 can see Windows 8, and I guess Windows 8 can see Windows 7.

If Windows 7 and Windows XP can see one-another then one will destroy the System Restore capability of the other.

Is it possible that Windows 7 and 8 are also subject to sibling rivalry of some sort?

I see what you are going through,

If you have two systems installed on different physical drives, then you should be good.

as long as the systems are not in one physical drive, they won't conflict each other.

because each system it has his own environment.

However, it's not a wise decision to copy files from a system to another directly. (like working on Windows 7, and you copy some files into Windows 8 desktop folder.)

This is won't work, because any changes made while the system is off, the windows will restore the last modification date has been recorded while the system on.

So the best way to switch files between the two systems is to put a partition or an external drive to save the files in, and reading it from both systems.

Keep in mind that windows Desktop is one of restores check points, it means if the system restored to a previous check point, then any changes in the desktop will be gone.! so it's not a good idea to save your work on the desktop, the best way to save your work is in the Documents.

Also, you have to know if one of your systems has been infected somehow by some viruses, there is a big chance that will infect the other.

So what you have to do is first do a full scan to your HD's using Malwarebytes/SuperAntiSpyware/Kaspersky Removal Tool..

make sure they're all up-to-date before using them.

Then, open the command prompt (As Administrator) and type this command sfc /scannow.. wait until it's finished, then restart your system. (Do this command on both systems.)

This will ONLY fix and restores the system files to the original status.

and reboot your system, If the check disk message appears, leave it and let it do its job, because disk check won't be working while the Windows on,

Be patient and wait until its finished,

after it's done, do a reboot to your system to see if you still have the messege or not.

if you still have the check disk message after doing the above steps,

you can cancel the scheduled auto disk checker by writing a chkntfs /x <driverletter> using the command prompt, where the <driverletter> is the partition that windows asks to do a Check Disk on it.

I don't suggest this method unless you already did a disk check, and the message is still asking you to check your disk each time you boot up your system.

If you have two systems installed on different physical drives, then you should be good.

as long as the systems are not in one physical drive, they won't conflict each other.

because each system it has his own environment.

I seriously doubt that.

My Laptop used two physical drives - one internal and one USB2 connected External.

All NTFS partitions on both physical drives had System Volume Information folders holding Restore Point data which were kept synchronised by Windows XP.

It is generally known that a dual boot system with both XP and Windows 7 should not allow one O.S. to see the System Volume Information of the other,

otherwise there may be large scale destruction of the restore points on one system.

Reparse Points can have a destination that reaches across to a different partition on a different physical drive,

and depending upon ACL's the deletion of a Reparse Point on one drive may delete the contents of the destination on the other drive.

If Windows 7 runs under C:\ and observes the Windows 8 partition/drive as X:\ , and

If Windows 8 runs under C:\ and observes the Windows 7 partition/drive as X:\

then the many dozens of Reparse Points that Windows uses to link to sundry folders within C:\

may be expected to continue to point to a destination of C:\,

hence when booting from the Windows 8 drive if you write X:\ the Windows 7 Reparse Points are likely to now point at the Windows 8 drive C:\.

I may be wrong - but I believe there may be unexpected and even severe consequences of using one O.S. to write to the drive of the other O.S.

@ all that have replied:

Hello to all! Thanks for your replies. I haven't read them since now after I had performed my own testing of this issue. I have returned here to update you on the status and the results.

It is a long story and to spare you the extensive testing and details, I determined the root cause was indeed corrupt files on the Windows 7 drive only. Once I let Windows 7 error-check and fix the corruption on its own drive, things were all back to normal. The Windows 7 drive must of also triggered an all error-checking for all other drives/paritions/volumes in the computer. After all error-checing was done, there is no errors found elsewhere excpet for the Windows 7 drive only. This issue has not returned since the fix. I was timid on running a check disk for error-checking for the fear lose something I saved as valuable, but so far (and some time that has passed now) I see on my Windows 7 drive there are no missing personal files! So, I may of got lucky this time! I assume it must of been corrupt system files that got fixed, maybe?!?!?

Thank you all for your help!

• Moderators

good to hear it's resolved.

great to hear you do backups !

with the ratio of system files to personal files, the chance of file corruption is usually skewed towards the system. if you have not seen any FOUND.000 folders in the root directory, you may have indeed dodged a bullet this time.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.