Index.dat problem

Jujubee

Hello all. I used CCleaner for the first time yesterday to try and free up some space on my computer.

The first thing I did was clean up my temporary internet files and index.dat files. In the few years that I've had my computer, I have not cleared out my index.dat files (I have cleared out TIF using Internet Explorer). So I was expecting them to hold about 200-300 MB of my old Internet files.

However, CCleaner only showed that I had 0.31 MB from my TIF and index.dat files. I find this very hard to believe, given that I am the only one using this computer and that I have never cleared out my index.dat files in nearly 2 years.

When I went to check my index.dat files after cleaning, it showed that it only had 32 KB. That sounds right...that's what I would expect after cleaning.

I just don't understand how CCleaner did not manage to come up with more than just 0.31 MB. 0.31 MB is nothing.

I almost positive that my index.dat files should have had more files in it. Everytime I used to scan my computer with an anti-virus, I could see it scanning the numerous 8 letter folders containing my old Internet files in the Content.IE5 folder.

Could someone tell me if this could possibly be a bug in CCleaner?

By the way, I am using Windows 98 and IE 6.0 with latest updates.