Microsoft Security Essentials (New Version)

Andavari

In case people didn't read the link I gave earlier which leads to a 24 page thread where everyone has posted about the file being corrupt.

http://answers.micro...99-78de71210446

Microsoft Security Essentials (x64 MSE English Corrupt Download)

The download for this file ONLY is corrupt from Microsoft. and at the time of me writing this, it is still corrupt.

It is supposed to be fixed today.

The workaround is to run Windows Update and look for the MSE optional update.

It takes quite a while to navigate to page 24 to find out they still haven't fixed it yet. Thanks for the heads-up.

It takes quite a while to navigate to page 24 to find out they still haven't fixed it yet. Thanks for the heads-up.

Now at page 26 and still no resolution after 4 days.

It seems to me that Microsoft are suffering a taste of their own medicine - security patches that render their computers and servers ineffective :lol:

Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition (KB2670838)

What a nasty piece of work this is. And I doubt it has anything to do with what this thread was started for. But the fact that it messes up the fonts & graphics on my W7 PC just takes the cake. Anybody else out there enjoying Mr. Toads' Wild Ride with this update? <_<

Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition (KB2670838)

What a nasty piece of work this is. And I doubt it has anything to do with what this thread was started for. But the fact that it messes up the fonts & graphics on my W7 PC just takes the cake. Anybody else out there enjoying Mr. Toads' Wild Ride with this update? <_<

Works just fine for me

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

I noticed a mess-up in a few fonts on boards that never happened before. Typically small fonts. But I do know it happened right after that KB update a few days ago. Adjustments in clear type didn't help. And the fun thing is sometimes normal looking font will morph/distort right before my eyes, like it did here right now. No LSD involved. (Otherwise I'd be bragging, right?)

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Systemanforderungen

Unterstützte Betriebssysteme: Windows 7; Windows Vista; Windows XP

Mindestsystemanforderungen für Microsoft Security Essentials

Betriebssystem: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)*; Windows Vista (Service Pack 1 oder Service Pack 2)*; Windows 7*

download? :D yes we can

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

i ask me, if i must delete v 4.1.0522 before i can take the newer version?

what are you mean?

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

i try it and how could it be otherwise ofcourse at first delete the older version and second install the new one ... tralala -_-:D

• Moderators

trium, while you can download a new Microsoft Security Essentials setup EXE file, it's probably easier to update it from the Microsoft Update website - that way you don't have to uninstall the old version, reboot, install the new version, update the signature files in the new version, configure the new version, scan with the new version, etc. In other words it takes significantly less time!

i hope andavari :D now ms security ess will only 1 file wiht 72 mb instead of 2 files... but i have slow conection and i must wait and download at a friend

• Moderators

What do you mean? MSE is just one file. There are two flavours available: for x86 and x64 systems. You just need one.

The initial definition files installation! If that's what he's downloading separately would be that 72 MB + size file, and if on a slow connection it isn't logical to download it, on dial-up that could take over 6 hours to download.

• Moderators

i hope andavari :D now ms security ess will only 1 file wiht 72 mb instead of 2 files...

Then the Microsoft Update website it the way to go on a slow connection especially if you already have MSE installed on your computer! It will save you from having to download that big 72 MB + definition file since you'll already have a full definition file installed.

now i have the definition-file - thanks to friend to download :)

What do you mean? MSE is just one file. There are two flavours available: for x86 and x64 systems. You just need one.

that means, at the last (older) version of mse windows update say to me to download 2 definiton files with each roundabout 72 mb... :wacko: with the new mse-version microsoft update would like to have just one definiton file with 72 mb ;):D

i found it nice from microsoft :D

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=38293

someone foreboding of it?

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

An all-in-one installer now it seems, no more choosing your OS, language, etc. I don't use it anymore and likely won't, although I do keep the current setup file handy as an alternative just in case my current preferred AV has a bad version or morphs into rubbish.

An all-in-one installer now it seems, no more choosing your OS, language, etc. I don't use it anymore and likely won't, although I do keep the current setup file handy as an alternative just in case my current preferred AV has a bad version or morphs into rubbish.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-all-versions

Huh? I had to download three separate installers (XP, Vista x86, Vista x64)...

Thanks for the link dvdbane.

PS - Installers are 100KB smaller. :)

PS2 - Can anyone check if the XP version is performing better. I have definitely moved to Win7 across all my PCs.

• Moderators

Huh? I had to download three separate installers (XP, Vista x86, Vista x64)...

I used the link in your post, and it gave me the correct setup file for XP 32-bit, so that led me to think it was an all-in-one installer.

To confirm I got the correct setup file I re-downloaded using the link posted by dvdbane and both setup files have matching SHA-1 hashes.