Microsoft Security Essentials (New Version)

Andavari

• Moderators

For antimalware and antispyware, the latest definitions are 1.183.2215.0, dated Sep 11, 2014 10:04 AM UTC.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx

Open GUI and click on help..about.

Also see here for upcoming new engine release

http://blogs.technet.com/b/enginenotifications/archive/2014/09/11/new-antimalware-engine-is-planned-for-release-on-15-sep-2014.aspx

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Interesting. Thanks Hazelnut.

Right now the engine version reads 1.1.10904.0

Too bad it seems there isn't any visible changelog as far as MSE is concerned.

By the way: For these people claiming MSE isn't very effective, I am testing a four combo security setup:

MSE + Adblockplus + Mirage Antibot + Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

Everything is free and it seems to work quite well. I haven't got a virus in ages.

• Moderators
I turn off my PC every night, yet I see updates performed at 1am, 2am, etc.

We're never really "off", are we.

Bios setting

Change it from allowing wakeup timers (your BIOS may call it something different)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

MSE didn't do "too well".

that's an understatement!

out of a possible 199 files it only found 24, whereas Avast, AVG and Comodo all averaged around 110.

now, of course, we have no idea what his 'malware' folder contained and their age, and we only saw it from one angle (his), but still, if I were using MSE I'd be having a little shiver in my boots.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Isn't that test from 2013? I have Windows Defender/MSE installed on all my machines (including the ones at work) and I have not seen a virus in ages. I don't rely too much on those (probably biased) AV comparatives. For me, the best AV software is the less annoying. Using your brain a following some security guidelines should suffice.

I have Windows Defender/MSE installed on all my machines (including the ones at work) and I have not seen a virus in ages.

Are those computers behind a router ? If so, then that on its own a "Infection killer".

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I've read that in windows instead of the normal ms defender was an anti-virus defender installed 8.1.

can i turn off the virusscanner in defender and use the "normal" defender against malicious programs?

(with this avscanner in defender is defender deaktivated throught the installed av-prog.)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

In Win 7 & Vista there 2 programs to defend one's system against malware: Windows Defender & MS security Essentials. In - at least - these 2 OS these are complementary programs, both have a separate task.

In Win 8 (and I assume in newer OS as well) "Windows Defender" combines the functionality of the "old" Windows Defender & MSE.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Corona, on 20 Sept 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:snapback.png

I turn off my PC every night, yet I see updates performed at 1am, 2am, etc.

We're never really "off", are we.

Bios setting

Change it from allowing wakeup timers (your BIOS may call it something different)

the easy way - pull power plug/hardware power switch on the computer off

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

In Win 8 (and I assume in newer OS as well) "Windows Defender" combines the functionality of the "old" Windows Defender & MSE.

can I therefore adjust anything? very unfortunate...

with my installed av i cant open defender... i dont know, how i could open this. but in my reminder without av, there are no adjust options to deactivate the av-function in ms defender and use only against malicious progs

• Moderators

if you have a 3rd party AV, Windows Defender is automatically turned off and will not monitor your PC.

you wouldn't want two AV programs running simultaneously.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.