CCleaner 64bit Hangs Windows 7

Supra

When cleaning with multiple passes, CCleaner picks a certain file, then Windows will hang. It will display that it is deleting the file, when I click 'Cancel' or try to close CCleaner, it will stop responding, and the two choices I'm left with are force shutdown / reboot. I've not tried cleaning without multiple passes. At first, I thought this issue would only occur when attempting to delete compressed file folders in the Recycle Bin. Then I tried to clean Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, and System (w/o Recycle Bin) and Windows hung again.

I have tried disabling Windows services in msconfig besides security.

This issue only began when I installed Bitdefender Internet Security 2013. When using Bitdefenders File Shredding tool (A program that deletes select files with a single pass) it would also fail to delete the files CCleaner did, but it wouldn't hang Windows.

• Moderators

This issue only began when I installed Bitdefender Internet Security 2013. When using Bitdefenders File Shredding tool (A program that deletes select files with a single pass) it would also fail to delete the files CCleaner did, but it wouldn't hang Windows.

I think there is a big clue there

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi,

I am facing the same problem,

my laptop is running windows 7 64bit, and I have been using ccleaner over a year,

nothing was wrong until I installed bit defender Internet security 2013 !

every time I run c cleaner, explorer hangs !! and nothing responds, even (ctrl + alt + delete) fails to go into task manager.

I think there should be a bug and c cleaner is incompatible with bit defender

any solution to this problem? I would be grateful if you could help me.

regards

M Tahami

Perhaps Bit Defender is just doing its job - defending bits.

When CCleaner is deleting junk files it is killing bits of data.

When it is secure deleting with multiple passes it is killing them with the death of a thousand cuts.

If you want CCleaner to remove the junk that Bit Defender is protecting,

then Bit Defender is violating your wishes and you need to exclude junk from its "protection".

• Moderators

I have this same problem but I am not running Bit Defender. CCleaner gets to a file and hangs. It will then run for hours but never delete the file.

if not running bitdefender it probably is not the same issue, please start a new thread

thanks

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I contacted Bitdefender Support, they suggested I do a Repair.

Snapshot_zps5ff4a45f.jpg

Up until now, I have had no issues. I will edit this post if I find out otherwise later. Until then, this issue is considered resolved.

Issue is still unresolved.

Edited by Supra

• 11 months later...

If you use unlocker to delete the temp file directory and then empty the recycle bin it will then work and you can use ccleanerto wipe unused space in C drive to clean system

Not sure what you mean, but since I've uninstalled Bitdefender the issue hasn't occurred. It is an issue with Bitdefender. Always occurs with .iso, .zip and .exe file types.

• Moderators
With latest version of ccleaner on win7, registry cleaner hangs at 46%. Clicking on cancel cleans part of registry. run again, hangs up at 46%. Never had a problem until this version.

Drhubb

Please start a new topic, yours is a different issue. When you do include your OS version and the actual version number of ccleaner (not "latest version" this means nothing)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

With latest version of ccleaner on win7, registry cleaner hangs at 46%. Clicking on cancel cleans part of registry. run again, hangs up at 46%. Never had a problem until this version.

Drhubb

You could solve the issue by not running a registry cleaner at all, as it causes more issues than it solves.