Skip UAC Invalid Parameter on Windows 8 Pro x64

Sinderan

I recently refreshed my Window 8 Pro x64 install and had to reinstall CCleaner. However since my reinstall the Skip UAC option just pops up a warning that says "The parameter is incorrect." And I have to approve the UAC prompt on every boot. I have attached a screenshot of the error. I have used IOBIT uninstaller to remove and reinstall CCleaner and a few other things and nothing works.

post-65368-0-08604600-1359913003_thumb.png

That suggests that CCleaner worked well on your hardware with the original Windows 8 installation,

but that the Refreshed Windows 8 does not function as the original.

I assume that you did a "standard" refresh - whatever that may be, but perhaps there are different ways of doing it.

I guess this is "standard"

http://www.pcmag.com...,2410848,00.asp

but that links to

a (somewhat geeky and time-consuming) way to perform the refresh without losing desktop applications,

http://www.extremete...es-and-programs

and that included an interesting comment

stuss1 16 days ago

Reading how easy everything with Windows 8 supposedly is makes me puke. Windows 8 sucks and even a clean reinstall almost requires a PhD. Windows 8 is full of bugs and I wonder if the writer of this drivel is paid by Microsoft. I cannot recommend anyone to buy Windows 8. Instead, buy another Windows 7 copy for later. Windows 8 is the biggest disappointment ever, far worse than Vista.

It may be difficult for Piriform developers to fix this "Skip UAC bug" if it can only be replicated by installing Windows 8 and degrading in some fashion that requires a Refresh.

I am not bold enough to try Windows 8 myself - but others here have taken that step and may be able to advise.

@Alan_B I'm installed and reinstalled Windows 8 several times on numerous hardware configurations and once you get past the learning curve its actually much better than Windows 7.

@hazelnut It is not listed in scheduled tasks. Is that all this option does? Automate the scheduled task trick we've been using for years?

• Moderators

Edit: wrong advice.

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I have the same problem. I have a desktop and a laptop (both with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit), but I have only just installed Windows 8 on the laptop (from a totally clean install). Both have CCleaner 3.27.1900 installed, and although CCleaner works fine on the desktop, it doesn’t on the laptop.

After installing CCleaner on the laptop, the UAC prompt comes up every time I open the program. Then when I go to Options > Advanced > Skip User Account Control Warning, the tick box is unchecked. If I try to tick it, an error message comes up saying ‘The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range’.

On the desktop there’s an entry in Task Scheduler for CCleanerSkipUAC, but on the laptop there isn’t.

Screenshot attached:

Untitled1.jpg

• Moderators

maybe Microsoft fixed the ability that allowed apps to bypass UAC via tasks. When I get my new PC (64 bit win8 pro) in a week I'll test this theory

Edited by Nergal

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Yeah, it looks like something has been changed, as Task Scheduler doesn't seem to like it anymore. I exported the CCleanerSkipUAC task from the desktop that's working OK, but when I try to import it into Task Scheduler on the laptop, it won't let me import it and says one or more of the specified arguments are not valid.

Screenshot below:

Untitled1.jpg

• Moderators

thanks for screenshot can you make one more without the error so I can see the obscured entries? Thanks.

however I did notice one thing:

please change configure for windows 8 to windows 7 and see if a difference is made.

Just checking Anabna that on both machines you are using the same type of account (eg admin or local)

Hi Hazelnut. Yes, just one user on both, which are Local Account, Administrator accounts. However, I think you hit the nail on the head.

The task I exported from my other computer still had my other user name in it. So, I changed the user name in the XML and re-import it, although it still didn't work. But, looking at the other tasks in task scheduler, I think the formatting for the username has changed and it now needs a computer name too. After I changed the <UserId> from [username] to [Computername]\[username], it imported OK & works fine.

UserIdformat

[Computername]\[username]

Old style:

<UserId>user</UserId>

New style:

<UserId>computer\user</UserId>

It's not totally perfect though, by exporting the XML file and renaming the user ID, CCleaner works without UAC prompt. But, if I go to Options > Advanced > Skip User Account Control Warning and untick the check box, when I try ticking it again, the problem returns and it deletes the task from Task Scheduler.

• 2 months later...

I just completed a clean install of Win8 and CC 4. Regardless of the option relating to UAC, I still get the UAC for any and all users. I've also tweaked the Task Scheduler because the target is ccleaner.exe rather than ccleaner64.exe but it makes no difference. I've tried prefixing the user or group with/without the computer name without success. I've tried with/without the argument that gets installed with a standard all users install performed by an administrator. I can't get anything to work. This was not always the case. I've had CC running without UAC on earlier builds of Win8. I've tweaked the shortcuts as they also have settings for UAC or administrative permissions. Tried every switch on shortcuts, task manager. Nothing works to bypass the UAC that I can find.

I've also tweaked the Task Scheduler because the target is ccleaner.exe rather than ccleaner64.exe but it makes no difference.

Why did you change the target ?

Did the CCleaner installer misfire and activate the 64 bit CCleaner on a 32 bit system ?

Are you trying to run the 32 bit CCleaner on a 64 bit system ?

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators

Releases are made on a monthly basis, as the holidays are upcoming a release should be nigh. The developers rarely comment on if a bug is squashed, until after the release is out. However, I can't personally tell you any more than you've read in this thread as to the status, or reproducibility of this bug in their lab.