.chk files

organmorgan

well if you look on web a lot of folk have experienced this

If you look on the web a lot of people have experienced a lot of different things, most of which are not relevant to computers.

I think you are wrong to assume that CCleaner will remove C:\*\*.chk files.

It may well remove .chk files that are naturally created on a particular path by the particular operating system,

but it should avoid removing any such files that are created on some other path by an application.

• Moderators

,chk files shouldn't be cleaned by CC by default as they could be used to 'restore' a lost file.

the found.000 folder naming convention is created when Windows finds a bad drive sector during normal use and not by the CHKDSK operation. (unless the operation itself finds more lost files)

files in the bad sector are renamed to xxxxxxxx.chk in an attempt to recovery the contents of the bad sector.

if you want CC to clean it, you'll need an INCLUDE

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

hello

thanks to all for replies.

i have no idea how i would restore a file from this lot .Yes they did come from running scan check on faulty drive which the removal of has repaired the drive. As matter of interest it was not the C drive but he D data drive that was giving problems . It would cause PC to crash badly and i could not run defrag on it . Now i can. It was crashing when making slide show so i guess it was when D drive had to rush around looking for picts it met the bad sectors.

cheers john

• Moderators

at the top of the topic there is a button make sure it says "unfollow this topic" if so you are following it and should check your profile notification settings (click your username at the very top of the page, choose content I follow)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com