Block To Access Expired Software Security Suite Program Quarantine Files.

montecarlo1987

Hello. I have an important question to ask you. I ran a trial of a lesser known Internet security software program for 30 days. I vaguely recall seeing a few quarantined files encrypted in the program but did not investigate the specific quarantined files at that time. This was near the end of the trial period. They may be or not be actually infected, but I quickly recall seeing a few important files quarantined. Overall, I was unhappy with the manner of this Internet security software program operated. Now, after the trial ended, I was planning to remove this very known Internet security software program from my system. However before I did, I had to verify the Internet security software program's quarantined files.

Now, when I opened the program interface, I see the program is COMPLETELY blackened out and I cannot access ANY PART of this program's functions since it requires me to now purchase the program. I do not wish too. I was completely unaware that I would have difficulties accessing my quarantined files after the trial ended. Now, I contacted their technical support online and they told me that after the trial is complete, there is NO WAY for me to access my quarantined files and I am out of luck unless I purchased a subscription to reactivate the program. Now, I FIND THIS CRIMINAL!!!

Even if they shutdown the program activation with active system protection following the trial period, they should at least still allow me access to my quarantine file functions and my past history functions!!! At this point, I would think that they could give me one 1-3 day re-activation period with their current installed Internet security software program so I can get immediate short term access to my quarantine files. If they refuse to assist me in accessing my files, I am thinking of a small claims court lawsuit against this known Internet security software program. For your information, I have not removed or uninstalled this lesser known Internet security software program to date from the system.

Questions: Your thoughts? What can I do? Please explain.

Please reply.

Thank you!

System: Windows 7 x64

• Moderators

Firstly without the name of the Security Suite there's not a lot we can say.

At the beginning you say ''a lesser known internet security suite''

Then you say ''I was planning to remove this very known Internet security software program from my system''

Which is it?

Have you posted on their forum? I see you have also posted at majorgeeks.

Have you considered restoring a backup ? (I'm presuming here you have one)

System restore?

A well know AV here and a user with a similar issue to you

https://community.mc...om/thread/28313

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

@ hazelnut:

Hello. Thanks for you prompt reply.

Yes, you caught me. Good eyes! Sorry! I meant to say, it is indeed lesser known, but not an obscure Internet software security program. I will disclose the brand, it is BitDefender Internet Security 2013. Their tech rep. insisted I do not have any resolution to access those encrypted quarantined files unless I pay for the activation. I am not sure what their BitDefender Forum will do anything different since I received directly from the source. I wil need to relent and buy it in order to get access to those files which is not right.

I see you ask, "Have you considered restoring a backup?" and "System restore?" I am not sure where you are going with this??? See, I am not sure of the actual file names that were indeed quarantined unless I see the actual quarantined files within BDIS 2013 -- so I would not know what to look for unless I know from inside BDIS 2013. Anyways I would need to know their names -- I would plan on testing these so-called infected files with other programs to verify if they are indeed infected. I seriously question if some if not all are actually infected since I have ran trials of other software security suites and they found no issues system wide before they were quarantined -- whatever they are. Please elaborate.

Please reply.

Thank you!

Please elaborate.

• Moderators

Their tech rep. insisted I do not have any resolution to access those encrypted quarantined files unless I pay for the activation.

Since you got that official response it would seem you're out of luck to restore those files. Unless of course you could talk to them again and ask if they could give you a very temporary license, say 2 hours, 1 day, etc., just so you can simply restore your files - you never know they may or may not allow such a short unlocking of the program, but you'd have to ask them politely first.

@ Andavari & hazelnut:

Thanks for your comments. I will be "polite" and try again. I want my files back!

I have even spoken to Symantec about such an issue, they contend that they are required to provide me a 3 day extension of their trials if this happens and I request it. I see BitDefender is not too cooperative! I am sure they can extend it if they wanted too.

I recall years ago using security programs like Norton and Kaspersky and others that when the trial ended, I was still given access to areas of the security software program. Now, it appears they are clamping down on full shutdown of the program at trial end which they SHOULD NOT DO!!!

• Moderators

just a thought.

if you have access to another PC, reinstall the AV on it, to get the trail period going again.

then see if you can copy the quarantine folder over to the other PC just to see if you regain access.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

@ Andavari & hazelnut:

Now, it appears they are clamping down on full shutdown of the program at trial end which they SHOULD NOT DO!!!

Although I genuinely feel sorry for your situation, from the companies point of view they allowed you a free trial of their software and you knew you had quarantined files, yet you are expecting them to just prolong the trial when you ask.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Sadly I've held back the same sentiment that hazelnut's just expressed

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

@mta:

Hello. Nice to meet you.

Like your suggestion. Can this be done in terms of moving the quarantine folder to another PC? Do you know how to do this or have you ever done this before? Please elaborate. I would need to locate the quarantine folder, have any ideas where it is located and how to move it?

@ hazelnut & Nergal:

Hello again. Thank you for your sympathies, even though I am not seeking it.

I hope you understood my point... ...even though the trial has ended, the software companies should know better than to "block" access to the quarantine functions (and I would argue also, the history-like files and records). Yes, I figured I would go back into the program at a later time and access the quarantine functions and get my files which I strongly believe are false-positives. My mistake "to assume" I would have access AFTER the fact. As I have said, from experience I recall older versions of software security products I used (approx. around 2002-2007-ish) WOULD ALLOW me "LIMITED" ACCESS AFTER the trial ended. Now I cannot recall a time in the past when I was able or not to access with BitDefender products specifically since I did not use their products until the last couple of years for testing since their success ratings are so high but the company popularity little known, however others have I have previously stated DID indeed allow me access after the trial ended. I know better now not to take this method next time.

So far, I have pleaded and they have failed to reply. So I know their sentiments -- no help!

Believe me, now I will never be a BitDefender customer ever!

• Moderators

i've never used BitDefender, but i'd be starting with a search for bitdefender or quarantine.

which brings me to the obvious fact that i've never done it before, or for that matter, ever needed to recover files out of quarantine.

but the theory at least sounds like your next step.

on the other PC, the 'new' trail of BD hopefully won't have smarts that check the integrity of the quarantine folder; like a lock file or index file, if so, you'll be back to square one.

this suggestion is purely speculative, trying to get you over this hurdle.

so the theory is to find the current quarantine location, copy that to the some location on the other PC and fire up BD and cross your fingers.

i see BD has it's own forum http://forum.bitdefender.com/ so that would probably be your next best option.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 5 years later...