CCleaner Fake via DuckDuckGo

login123

Today DuckDuckGo sends searchers to a bogus site for CCleaner. DuckDuck shows this as the first entry for the word piriform:

th_CCleaner_fake0.jpg

If you click it you get sent to this link with http at the front of it: (do not try this at home, I am a trained bungler)

://softdls.com/ccleaner?mkwid=xoqiIRu2&pcrid=1600285366&kword=ccleaner%20piriform&match=b

This is the first window of the installer. I let the process continue for a bit in a sandbox before stopping it. Not sure what this software is but it isn't CCleaner. Still have some of the files in the sandbox if they would help anything.

th_CCleaner_fake1.jpg

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I suppose, but I wonder how many folks have been duped and are now put out with CCleaner? There oughtta be a law.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

sadly it's a sponsored link so the only thing you can do is report it as bad to WoT and/or turn off ads on ddg. Good catch though

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I sent DuckDuckGo polite complaint using their feedback mechanism. Will see if they email me anything.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

That's OK, I look at that one every 3 months. But thanks for the warning. B)