Favourite File Manager?

mta

I believe Glary Utilities is still fairly popular.

But really, why is there a "folder hider," that's like making a "shortcut maker"

Glary has been on GAOTD several times since I gave it a go,

and on the more recent times my only interest was to look at the end of the day to see how many more victims had suffered and by some means got back on the Internet.

More recently I have not seen many such victims.

I deduce that either Glary has tamed down the product with less adventurous settings :)

or alternatively has ramped up the aggression and the victims never manage to struggle back on to the Internet :angry:

The idea of the "Folder Hider" was privacy.

Without submitting a password the existence of the contents of the folder was concealed,

and possibly (I do not remember for sure) the presence of the folder.

I believe it simply modified the Access Control Levels that in the absence of the password are applied to the designated folder,

and ACL's are very fine grained with more than a dozen different restrictions of what they can permit,

i.e. you can prevent Windows Explorer from viewing the contents of a folder,

but you also have the option of or not a desktop shortcut can EXECUTE an executable is known to exist therein.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

was getting sick of the file manager in Ubuntu and just discovered & installed Dolphin.

apologies if it is old news but I'm new to Unix and wasn't enjoying the experience of the default file manager.

Dolphin was especially easy to access my NAS, something I found much harder to get working with the original manager.

I'm interested to hear of any other decent/favourite file ,managers for Ubuntu.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I never played with alternative file managers for unix.

I know Nautilus is the default for GNOME, but Ubuntu runs unity now and I'm not sure what it ships with (a google search says Thundar?)

If Nautilus is what I was using on Ubuntu before it switched to Unity, I'd reccomend you give that a look.

I never played with alternative file managers for unix.

I know Nautilus is the default for GNOME, but Ubuntu runs unity now and I'm not sure what it ships with (a google search says Thundar?)

If Nautilus is what I was using on Ubuntu before it switched to Unity, I'd reccomend you give that a look.

Still Nautilus on Ubuntu 13.04.

• Moderators

not 100% sure, but i seem to recall Ubuntu 12.04 LTS came with Nautilus.

If it didn't, it must have been one of the first things I changed, as I tried it and another one call File Manager (10/10 for original naming) and found them OK but lacking.

i guess the reason Dolphin is so far appealing is its split screen option and it's Windows'ish UI (which will probably turn the die-hard unix lovers/windows haters off)

• Moderators

@willy2,

I would have to agree, maybe not by a long shot, it would honestly be neck and neck.

I do like the familiar look and feel of Windows Explorer but love the customisations that XYplorer offers.

Even though i bought XY and have used it for 5 or so months, it's still hard to break the 25 year habit of Windows Explorer.