Favourite File Manager?

mta

• Moderators

@keatah, just wondering how much stock you put in S.M.A.R.T values.

i thought they were 'indicators' more than reliable values.

at least that was the impression i formed when the technology was first coming in and hence, i've sort of treated those figures with a grain of salt.

for example, i had a PC that booted fine for years but the startup screen always said S.M.A.R.T has detected failing drive (or whatever that message was)

mind you, my NAS i use for backups has said that in the past and i replaced the 'failing' drive lickity-split. (who don't much around when it comes to backups)

Edit: sorry Hazel, just saw your post after i posted this. i clicked on the star to see 'my thread' but it took me to #20 to which i thought i was replying as the last post then realised there was this newer page. that's happened before to me when clicking on that asterick, haven't nailed it down yet. suspect a slow web connection.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Guest Keatah

In the past, I have used Total Commander in my winPE rescue kit. I do like the plugin selections. There's a lot of options here for working with old classic-computer archives. Standards no longer used today.

Everything is not prefect. It overlooks files.

Really? I've never had any issues.

I found the same, it was very quick but far too often simply didn't find items that were present so ended up having to use Windows search anyway. So got rid.

Really? I've never had any issues.

Same here.

I found the same, it was very quick but far too often simply didn't find items that were present so ended up having to use Windows search anyway. So got rid.

Which version did you use?

You could've tried some alternative eg. Locate32..?

I like UltraSearch, especially the fact that I can search for and only present the files that hold a particular text string

A problem with Everything is that it depends on the MFT and so cannot work on FAT32 formats,

and another problem is that the MFT includes historic information so Everything reports the existence of files that have been deleted,

and I only realise the error when I right click and try to either view Properties or to "Open Containing Folder".

Both the above fail to detect files that Windows conceals within "System Volume Information", and I have learnt to live with that.

I also learnt how to blast away restrictions by the use of iCacls - but I am hesitant to recommend that for an average user :wacko:

I am however troubled by the thought that Windows is concealing the contents of other folders that I am not aware of.

Yesterday I wanted a file search technique that I could safely give an average user to find a file even if it was buried in System Volume Information.

I had a bright idea and tested it and found it worked.

Drum Roll - Grand Announcement coming :D

A problem with Everything is that it depends on the MFT and so cannot work on FAT32 formats

The only drawback IMO. Though all my drives are NTFS except my USB stick(s). But I backup my USB stick to HDD so I kinda can search the files there.

and another problem is that the MFT includes historic information so Everything reports the existence of files that have been deleted

I've noticed something like this before, but hasn't really been a problem.

I just checked and updated Everything; I had v1.2.1.451a (alpha) and now -> v1.3.0.631b (beta). (Still) looks nice & fast. Maybe even better than previously.

THE ULTIMATE file search utility is DEFRAGGLER from PIRIFORM :o

There is NO need to Defrag - or even to Analyze.

Instead click on the TAB marched Search

Tick the box against "Filename Contains:" and enter the file-name of interest

Tick the box "Include non-fragmented files"

Then click the button "Search"

and then an Analyze will happen after which every sought file will be shown.

When I search C:\ for *.LOG I obtain all the results within 2 Seconds.

This includes an analyse of Windows 7 Ultimate contents :- 73,474 Files in 16,193 Folders occupying 15.2 GB (16,400,225,451 bytes)

The results include C:\System Volume Information\Tracking.log

When I search D:\ for *.LOG I obtain all the results within 1 Second.

This includes an analyse of 3,926 Files, 3,190 Folders occupying 634 MB (665,017,148 bytes)

The results include

D:\System Volume Information\Chkdsk\Chkdsk20110808110721.log

and

D:\System Volume Information\Chkdsk\Chkdsk20110414213419.log

If I right click then I can select "Open Containing Folder" and Windows Explorer is launched and gives me full access to both files.

The only downside I can see after one day is that zero byte sized files are not reported - I guess because they have no need for defragging.

Enjoy.

Guest Keatah

It is best to arrange your files in such a way that you only need to search a few branches deep, and in a certain area. Then the standard windows search more than suffices.

It is best to arrange your files in such a way that you only need to search a few branches deep, and in a certain area. Then the standard windows search more than suffices.

I am totally unsatisfied by Windows Search.

On my Laptop running XP I found that Windows Search would lock up if I was searching a region that included Acronis Image backup *.TIB files.

I have no control over the location of Windows system created files such as my examples in C:\System Volume Information\

Sometimes I might see an error report concerning a file with no certain path to that file,

and I might wish to locate that file in order to investigate.

Guest Keatah

I hear many people complain about Windows Search. And the only thing I dislike about it is it slows way down once you get into involved and deep searches.

But decades ago. I learned to always separate data into three main categories.

1- User Generated Data - pictures, music, programming projects, journals, records, logs, things like that.

2- Programs & Applications & Settings - the stuff you buy at the computer store (or download). Tools, games, office suites, utilities..

3- Operating System - This could be a 10k RAM resident routine like Apple II DOS, or a multi-GB Win7 install. Drivers go here too.

By doing my best not to intertwine and mix these together I find that a lot of aspects of computing go smoother. Everything is more consistent and easy to get to, everything is more bulletproof. Updating software, patching operating systems, organizing my projects. And especially backup operations. It is simple to grab the working parts of the system (OS & Apps) in one grab, and all my UserData in another.

Sounds like a lot of work, but when you've been working like this for years it really becomes second nature. Only problem is when I have to work on others' systems. They all look like a jumbled mess.

All this tends to combine together and makes Windows Search even bearable if slow. It's pretty straightforward which one of those major areas something is going to be located in. And that takes an enormous load off any search program - including the internal workings of NTFS and Windows.

@ ALAN_B - What are you looking for in the SYSTEM VOLUME directory?

@ ALAN_B - What are you looking for in the SYSTEM VOLUME directory?

I was not looking for anything in that SYSTEM volume.

I actually KNEW the contents because TREESIZE FREE shows me in a folder tree structure everything that is taking space on my system,

hence I already knew the contents of the least accessible folder on my system.

My requirement was to discover a utility that will search my whole system for any file-name that might be of interest regardless of any access restrictions.

When I use TREESIZE I see *.log files and so I test any Search Utility with *.LOG,

and Defraggler reports the full paths and names of 42 such files,

and this includes the files that Treesize found in System Volume hence I am confident that Defraggler is NOT subject to access restrictions like normal search utilities.

TREESIZE also shows me that SYSTEM VOLUME holds both Syscache.hve.LOG1 and Syscache.hve.LOG2

Defraggler finds the first which is 256 KB, but NOT the second which is zero bytes.

You win some and you lose some - but I guess a zero byte sized file is normally not dangerous and of no value so no loss.

• Moderators

Son of a B....

I missed it !?!?!?!?!

Still on the trial version and still rocks but, damn, i wished i logged on earlier.

Meh.. I never liked those giveaway-of-the-day things. Last one I looked at had some kind of time limited installer that was good only for one machine and after x-amount of days it wouldn't re-install ever again.

• Moderators

Meh.. I never liked those giveaway-of-the-day things. Last one I looked at had some kind of time limited installer that was good only for one machine and after x-amount of days it wouldn't re-install ever again.

All the GAOTD things have I've installed always been okay. I don't expect them to be able to re-install or be put on other machines, after all they are a giveaway.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
looked at had some kind of time limited installer that was good only for one machine and after x-amount of days it wouldn't re-install ever again.

yes and that shouldn't have come as a surprise as that is EXACTLY what the site is :rolleyes:

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Quite often GAOTD starts the day so well with a powerful laxative to cleanse the inner workings of a computer.

Those days end so badly for some whose computers crash and they ask for help on fixing the damage,

and even worse for those who can no longer get on the Internet.

I also remember one person downloaded a "Folder Hider" that promised to conceal any folder he chose.

He chose to hide a folder he never used.

He chose to hide "C:\Program Files\"

The good news was that Folder Hider did what it promised,

but the consequences were severe :(

• Moderators

hmmm. maybe I dodged a bullet.....

I also remember one person downloaded a "Folder Hider" that promised to conceal any folder he chose.

@alan_b: What consequences ? Wasn't Windows able to execute the programs in that folder ?

Nevertheless, I subscribed to the GAOTD. Perhaps some nice software will be given away for free in the future.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

@alan_b: What consequences ? Wasn't Windows able to execute the programs in that folder ?

Nevertheless, I subscribed to the GAOTD. Perhaps some nice software will be given away for free in the future.

Yes, he was unable to run some programs.

He especially was unable to launch Folder Hider to undo what he had done :o

I do get daily emails from them and perhaps 2% of them intrigue me enough to click and see the details.

Over the last 7 years I think I actually installed only three for use plus one to observe.

I observed "Glary Cleaner" or some such super zapper of junk.

I was amazed at how much of my Win XP was recommended to removal.

Originally I had intended to let it do its thing and observe the results and then restore my system from my partition image backup,

but when I saw what was intended I realised that my Acronis "built in" restore might be overwhelmed and that I would have to dust off the Acronis Linux boot CD,

so I simply aborted Glary.

Sure enough, at the end of the day there were many very unhappy campers on the GAOTD site who had allowed Glary to perform a "tender embrace".

Quite often GAOTD starts the day so well with a powerful laxative to cleanse the inner workings of a computer.

Those days end so badly for some whose computers crash and they ask for help on fixing the damage,

and even worse for those who can no longer get on the Internet.

It's hardly the site's fault that some people are dumb.