MalwareBytes Anti-Malware - new release

mta

I agree with Hazelnut about JRT not displaying what it will be deleted. OTOH, I prefer standalone software of this type; I don't find it comfortable the need for installing any app like MBAM, prior to using it. That's why I prefer AdwCleaner and ZHP over MBAM. However, it's better to run several of them just to be on the safe side.

• Moderators

Malwarebytes 2.1. 8. 1057 released and coming through when you update (may have to wait a day or two)

For those who cannot wait see here

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/169387-malwarebytes-anti-malware-update-to-218/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Another feature that isn't listed in the 2.1.8.1057 "Whats New" is that the installer will check your License Key for validity.  This validity check is intended to weed out all the pirated keys that have been floating around on the Internet for years.  If it finds a questionable key you will have two options to resolve the issue.  The first option grants amensity to those who pirated a key or purchased a pirated key from a questionable source (Craigslist, etc).  Those folks will get a free one year subscription, but after that they will have to subscribe. The second option is for valid key holders who were tagged incorrectly as having a pirated key. They can contact Malwarebytes in order to have a new replacement key issued.

• Moderators

just installed the new version.

have to say, not too impressed that the My Account screen shows your license key in all its glory.

I can't remember any other software that shows, fully, the very key needed to pirate it onto another PC.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

just installed the new version.

have to say, not too impressed that the My Account screen shows your license key in all its glory.

I can't remember any other software that shows, fully, the very key needed to pirate it onto another PC.

I noticed that the first update after installing 2.1.8.1057 took longer than usual.  I'm guessing that during that lengthy call home for the update that Malwarebytes was taking note of whatever information my PC could provide and they now have that link to the key.  If my Lifetime key should start appearing on different PCs they'll know it has been pirated and not validate those installs.  That may explain why the key is now displayed. 

• Moderators

Multiple software(s) do that, many not talking about MBAM here if it isn't displayed in the program it can often be found in the Windows registry and even exported and imported inbetween Windows installs to restore it.

Edited by Andavari

• Moderators

some products may record the install key somewhere on the PC, but I can't recall any that blatantly show it in full from the actual software itself.

the only one that comes to mind is AVG IS that showed all but the last 4 characters.

now people can jump on another PC with MBAM, write down their Identifier and Key and go install it on their own PC - then begins the fight with MBAM as to which one gets flagged as the original.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

my MB3.1.1.1722 was showing no updates found when in fact 3.1.2.1733 is now available.

if mine wasn't showing this, thought perhaps a heads up was in order.

• Moderators

my MB3.1.1.1722 was showing no updates found when in fact 3.1.2.1733 is now available.

if mine wasn't showing this, thought perhaps a heads up was in order.

It seems to have got a bit confusing with MB3 now including 4 component packages. There have been a few threads about it on the Malwarebytes forum.

So there are programme updates and Component Package updates.

The main issue seem to be that updates are not being sent to everyone at once but are 'metered out', so an update may be available manually for a while before it gets sent automatically to your machine.

(A bit like Microsoft metering out the Win10 Creators Update, but hopefully not as slow, I know people who still haven't got the CU yet).

So when you use MB3 itself to check for updates it may say that you are up to date, even though there is an update you can go and manually download/install.

Then there is a question of whether the 'minor' updates (ie. the .1733 part) are released/notified automatically or whether you have to keep an eye on the site and get them manually.

There also seems to be a 24 hour timer switch on notifications for some update components.

This was posted on the Malwarebytes forum yesterday:

Q-

the malwarebytes tray icon does't show the warning triangle to show i need to update is not a massive problem since i can just open malwarebytes and check manually

A-

Are you using the free or paid version?  If paid, the notices will only come up if the computer has been asleep or off more than 24 hours.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/202505-no-update-warning-in-tray-icon/

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

3.1.2.1733 is now available.

3.1.2.1733 has been released twice! Only reason I know is because the checksums were different between both installers, and the latest release of the installer was slightly bigger than the previous one. I don't know what they changed in the re-release of it.

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators

v3.4.4 released

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Just posted at Malwarebytes, no further details on just what the "compatibility" enhancements are though.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/229458-ladies-and-gentlemen-malwarebytes-35/?tab=comments#comment-1255618

A few minutes ago we have promoted another components package upgrade to our Windows 7 and later Users: v1.0.391

This release fixes the mbamchameleon.sys BSOD and includes a few compatibility as well as performance and stability enhancements, along with a small number of simple User Interface improvements.

Thank you so much once again to all of our Malwarebytes community.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043