MalwareBytes Anti-Malware - new release

mta

• Moderators

Got it. The scanning time increased on my system by approximately 5 minutes, however it isn't a big deal since I rarely scan with it.

I don't see what all their forum fuss was about with that in-set advertising showing the banner at the bottom for other Malwarebytes products, etc. It didn't bother me.

The new GUI is nice, and thankfully they didn't go down the "me too" route of making a dreaded looking Win 8.x GUI.

----

Just wondering if anyone knows the command-line for this new v2.0 for running a database update via a shortcut since this no longer works anymore:

"%ProgramFiles%\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /updateshowdialog

Edited by Andavari

• Moderators

Those HTTPS are invalid for secure connection according to Comodo Dragon.

Thank you, the links do answer my question. Really missing the CLI though, however my batch file can just call the GUI where I can check for an update.

• Moderators

Those HTTPS are invalid for secure connection according to Comodo Dragon.

I use a secure connection at Wilders. They provide their own ssl certificate.

Anyone wanting to read the links can just remove the s  from the https bit of the address if they don't want to read it over a secure link and have to accept the certificate.

Info on certificate is here

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2349462&postcount=35

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

And for a limited time the Premium version is $19.95 1yr/3 devices.

Bargain!

Hang on, no that's not, the old one was a life time license.

Hopefully they still honour that.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Good to hear @TheWebAtom, I tried to verify it from the website and their forum and couldn't see anything along those lines.

I find it a little disconcerting, in the License Details on the new version it states Activated on 03/22/14 which was the upgrade date to Premium, but I've had the Pro version for about 3 years so would have figured it show that initial date.

Time will tell.

I would have thought they change the versioning from the RC1 to final release, yes, that's actually the same code they took to the final release, but still, can easily cause confusion.

I would have thought they change the versioning from the RC1 to final release, yes, that's actually the same code they took to the final release, but still, can easily cause confusion.

I'd imagine it would be even more confusing to the developers who have the same code with two different version numbers.

I'm Shane.

• Moderators

the number of developers is a substantially smaller group compared to the consumers.

why risk confusing, however trivial the reason,  your client base.

I'm not as keen on the new interface as I was on version 1.75.

But I guess that's just personal opinion.

A view shared by many of us beta testers Hazel. We have suggested that the have an option to revert to the old layout or something similar. Not sure they will take that on board though

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators

I'll go on record and say I actually like the new layout.

Especially the detailed progress shown while scanning.

Things aren't harder to do or find, they have just moved them around.

Overall, +1 from me.

• Moderators

I like the new layout also.

What I don't like:

* When doing a right-click ("context menu") scan of say a newly downloaded file it takes over 30 seconds for it to do a "Pre-Scan", I guess it's self-checking or something. I find it beyond super annoying to go through that Pre-Scan if using the right-click scan to check more than one directory. It has annoyed me enough in the last 24 hours or so that I'll be putting ClamWin Portable back on my system to give me a secondary scan of downloaded files.

* In the "DashBoard" on the bottom right in the main screen in MBAM if you've did a right-click scan of a directory or file it logs it as if it's your "last scan". I don't think those should count the same as a "Threat Scan" or "Custom Scan", especially if more than one person is using the computer they could think someone else ran a scan recently.

They have a cosmetic issue, more of a nitpicking thing really:

When scanning it chops off on that left pane the name of what it's doing, a bit of an eyesore - see screenshot.

• Moderators

I have unticked the first 2 boxes in 1.75 'settings' tab, 'updater settings' tab, so that when the auto-download of version 2 goes live I won't get it.

I am just going to wait a couple of weeks until they have ironed one or two things out. The gui really bugs me, at times it reminds me of the fake av's MBAM removes!! I think the devs are listening about the gui and planning on modifying it. Hopefully the big red X saying I am not using a licensed copy (( use free) will get toned down.

By the way in case anyone hasn't tried it yet the 'quick scan' has now been replaced by the words 'threat scan' and is exactly the same thing.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

By the way in case anyone hasn't tried it yet the 'quick scan' has now been replaced by the words 'threat scan' and is exactly the same thing.

I thought the new Hyper Scan was the same as the old Quick Scan.

• Moderators

The Hyper Scan is a flash scan and is only available in the paid version.

Threat scan is old quick scan

More info on this here, click on 'scan' in left hand panel

http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

They always include a file named "changes.txt" in the MBAM program files folder, it clearly states the naming change from "Quick Scan" to "Threat Scan". Personally I just wish they would've left it as is, some things don't actually need to be changed just for the sake of changing them.

Another thing I like but forgot to mention was the much faster loading of the GUI, previous versions in my opinion took too long to load the GUI, but it does take longer to do any type of scan.

• Moderators

After I uninstalled v2.0 I started getting a DLL runtime error but wasn't told what DLL it was when trying to open some programs such as DVD Flick, and even MBAM 1.75 which I reinstalled. I ended up having to use a Macrium image to restore from.