MalwareBytes Anti-Malware - new release

mta

• Moderators

Great program MBAM.

It's one of the first batch of things I install on a machine.

This new version includes links to the new rootkit finder and the other tools which can be downloaded separately.

Although note that Chamelon, (which allows you to run MBAM and update it when pc is so infected that MBAM won't start), is still available from the start, all programs, tools link, or from the MBAM program folder itself.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

i liked it so much i lashed out and paid for the PRO version.

with what it protects against, i'd rather the proactive PRO than the reactive FREE.

Edit: But for those yet to try, the FREE is exactly the same, you just have to manually initiate the scans.

you need to get infected for the FREE to find and fix, whereas the PRO stops you getting infected. (stops, as in as best it can, like any security program, only as good as its definitions).

the PRO also has a very nice web site blocker for those 'nasty' sites you should stay away from.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Bleh, (my) MBAM doesn't notice about new program updates at all. Even if I update the database. Also under the "Latest news:" I've just an announcement about MBAM 1.65.

I wish they had left Fileassassin inside of it instead of making it a separate download/install. Oh well.

Never used this so wouldn't need it anyways. :D

Great program MBAM.

. . .

Although note that Chamelon, (which allows you to run MBAM and update it when pc is so infected that MBAM won't start), is still available from the start, all programs, tools link, or from the MBAM program folder itself.

Just downloaded all the available apps, then ran the quick scan w/ MBAM. It was, errr, quick. :P Running the full scan now.

To be honest, I had forgotten all about MBAM. Thanks for the reminder, mta.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Latest news flash. MBAM found a PUP, I think it is some sort of ebay link or something, and it is inside the installer for Unlocker. Version 1.8.7 or 1.8.9, maybe both. It does no harm afaik. I've used Unlocker for years, but I had forgotten that it was in there.

Is MBAM good, or what?

Even if they can't seem to get Klingon out of beta. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

Is MBAM good, or what?

damn good !

i used to use the other ones; spybot, spywareblaster, (can't remember the others) and this beats them all.

its been a must-have for years. saved my bacon more than once.

must say, haven't used those 4 other freebies on offer.

i'd be interested in hearing feedback, especially on Chameleon, i've never seen an infection that stops MBAM from running, & if so, it (mbam) should still run from Safe Mode.

• Moderators

I've used Chameleon on friends computers when MBAM wouldn't start from the gui, but as the tool is available via the start-all progs-MBAM list, or from inside the MBAM program folder itself on C, it can be started that way instead. It's sort of a built-in RKill.

Be aware that when you start at the top of the list and you get the cmd window, it can take a couple of minutes before you see any input in the window. If after that time there is still no joy, close the cmd window and move on to the next choice in the Chamelon list.

If of course you have the sort of bad infection that can prevent security programs from opening it could be advisable to seek help from a Malware Removal forum.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Is MBAM good, or what?

It's typically one of a small handful of tools to fix what an antivirus fails against. Plus with it being so easy to use it makes perfect sense to always have it installed and if using the freeware version periodically do a scan.

. . .

Edit: But for those yet to try, the FREE is exactly the same, you just have to manually initiate the scans.

you need to get infected for the FREE to find and fix, whereas the PRO stops you getting infected. (stops, as in as best it can, like any security program, only as good as its definitions).

the PRO also has a very nice web site blocker for those 'nasty' sites you should stay away from.

Guess nobody thought to mention it here, maybe its new. You can download a 14 day trial of the full version. After 14 days trial it reverts to the free version. Very handy,

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_trial/

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

v1.75.0.1300 released April 9th.

Changes

1.75 (April 9th, 2013)

• Added ability to scan within archives

• Moderators

I had wondered if that "ability to scan within archives" would significantly slow it down, but it hasn't.

It's longer overdue that they finally added in archive scanning, that feature alone has been sorely missed and will prevent allot! It adds the 7z.dll file v9.20.0.0 from 7-Zip, I just hope that it's stable via MBAM because not long ago I had no choice but to downgrade 7-Zip to v4.65 because v9.20 was very unstable on my system causing complete system lockups.

• Moderators

agree with the 'not slowing it down' point.

I've upgraded and scanned on 2 of my systems and haven't noticed a drop (nor an improvement either) - so all seems good.

mind you - how many archives to you have?

I don't have that many, although a few of those that I do have are big.

• Moderators

This morning I tested it out doing a full scan of all hard disks, I had thought once it got to my backup drive E:\ it would go into a slow crawl since most anti-malware and anti-virus literally slow to a crawl on that drive and spend more than an hour there as they scan through hundreds of archives and some of which contain insanely large backups but nope it flew right through them.

I don't know if it's archive scanning is thorough or not, I haven't an idea and I could actually care less about it scanning through my already known to be clean 7z archives, it's all those new unknown and completely untrusted ZIP downloads of some new software I may happen try out that would be much more beneficial for me if it detects something inside the archive before I even bother unzipping it.

Would be nice if they'd also add in Inno Setup packaged setup files scanning, those I've been unpacking manually using innounp (the only way to manually unpack them by the way), and then scanning with MBAM before running an unknown/untrusted installer made with Inno Setup.

Edited by Andavari
As usual fixed typos

• Moderators

sounds like your E:\ drive would have given MBAM a good work-out and highlighted any short-comings.

glad to hear it(MBAM) passed.

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators

Your title is misleading as it suggests there is a release to download. There isn't, it's a release candidate,  just one step up from a beta.

Interesting observations here about the new beta....

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=143942

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Interesting observations here about the new beta....

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=143942

"Oh no it infect me with pop-up ads, and installed some backup program that stole all my files and copied them onto another drive."  :lol: - I can only imagine that being posted by someone on their forums someday.  :lol:

• Moderators

@hazel, feel free to change the title to something more meaningful if you think it merits it.