WIN 7 - Recuva - Stage 2 Crash

m@rk2

I recently installed 1.44.778 on a XP (SP2) machine and Win 7 Pro machine (64bit). 26/12/2012. (I am looking for photos moved from one machine to the other and then deleted from both....very senior moment!)

The XP machine ran Stage 1 - 3 fine...found and restored many lost photos but not the ones I am after.

The Win 7 machine runs stage 1 ok, but hangs/freezes/crashes at between 63% and 73% complete on Stage 2. It grinds away for 4-5 mins and then crashes with a MS report as foloows

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: recuva64.exe

Application Version: 1.44.0.778

Application Timestamp: 50a60fd5

Fault Module Name: recuva64.exe

Fault Module Version: 1.44.0.778

Fault Module Timestamp: 50a60fd5

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000016607e

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 5129

Additional Information 1: d213

Additional Information 2: d213b055145d9254a4748a28a5b77766

Additional Information 3: 195d

Additional Information 4: 195d949cf697e3d447342fedd6d48c25

I have tried the following

1. Ran Recuva on the Win 7 machine but recovering files from a USB stick - results OK.
  2. Ran Recuva on the WIN 7 machine in safe mode - reults - crash

I was wondering if there is an issue with disc size with win7. I am no tech/dev trust me. But it seems strange it works on the USB stck and not the HD.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I had read somewhere that there is a WIN 7 forum but I could not find it. If someone can point me in the right direction...cool. (Thanks to DennisD)

Merry Christmas and aHappy New Year

• Moderators

Hi m@rk2, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for starting your own thread.

I don't know too much about the causes of exception errors, but it may help to know the size of the drive you're trying to scan.

And have you tried what Augeas suggested for that other poster with a similar stage 2 problem without the Exception Code: c0000005 error ...

As soon as Stage 2 starts, cancel it (within Recuva). You should then get your list of files.

Let us know if that does any good.

Hi m@rk2, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for starting your own thread.

I don't know too much about the causes of exception errors, but it may help to know the size of the drive you're trying to scan.

And have you tried what Augeas suggested for that other poster with a similar stage 2 problem without the Exception Code: c0000005 error ...

Let us know if that does any good.

Hi DennisD,

The HD is 500mb. I have read most of the threads and tried most of the solutions to no avail. The one that has seemed to work is Augeas idea to install 1.43v. I have done this and so far no crash/hang which is good.

Thanks for your help and I will keep an eye out for the update from 1.44!!

Regards and Happy New Year

Mark

Hi Augeas,

I have this hang (but not crash) with version 1.44. I would revert to v1.43 from filehippo and see what that does.

I have done exactly what you suggested and it seems to be working. Thanks for the help

Happy New Year

Mark