Win8 64bit - Retaining IE cookies problem

thecaretaker

Can somebody help me. I love CCleaner, but I've a real problem with keeping cookies in IE since upgrading from Win7 to Win8

I can run CCleaner as usual and as long as I remain booted up, all my cookies are saved. But as soon as I reboot, all log-in info is lost.

I've tried taking advice about adjusting the browsing history settings in IE, but it makes no difference.

If I remove CCleaner from my system, I can boot up and down without loosing any cookies.

I've reinstalled CCleaner and run it, I check that I am still logged in and it is fine, until I restart or start Win8

I've tried running CCleaner as administrator and not and the same happens.

Can anybody point some light into what is happening and how I can fix it? I really want to keep using CCleaner if I can. Please help!

• Moderators

try turning off index.dat cleaning and see if that works. Just guessing. Also do you have Microsoft's protected browsing turned on? Or are browsing in ie private mode.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thank you Nergal. But not removing index.dat didn't make any difference. I always run in normal (not private) mode.

I've tried using the IE link in program files and running the ccleaner64 link

I've tried using the IE link in program (x86) folder and just the CCleaner link

But it does the same to both

It only ever happens once I've used CCleaner and reboot. But it doesn't happen everytime, if I'm really quick at bootup and open IE, it sometimes keeps the cookies. It must be something happening upon bootup at the desktop stage. But if I don't run CCleaner, the cookies aren't touched.

I don't run defender. My antivirus is NOD32. I'm wondering if that could be doing something. I'll try uninstalling AV and see if it still happens (will have to be tomorrow now).

The same cookies/sites in Firefox are OK, so it is specific to IE.

Any other ideas?

I have been having the same problem since upgrading to IE 10 in Windows 7.

Even with the box unchecked to delete cookies I still lose any and all saved logon information.

I am a long user of CCleaner and love the product but was forced to uninstall it today.

Must be some glitch in IE 10.

Here's hoping you can get it fixed so I can get back to using one of my favorite programs.

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

I can run CCleaner as usual and as long as I remain booted up, all my cookies are saved. But as soon as I reboot, all log-in info is lost.

I'm having the same issue as well, ever since using IE10 Release Preview on Windows 7 x64 SP1.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to chime in that I am too having this issue, with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit/IE10. Never been a problem for all the years I have used CCleaner and the various versions of Windows /IE. And of course I do not have the 'delete Index.dat' files option selected.

I have noticed that there seems to be a bit of a random element to this, it doesn't lose the cookies after every single reboot, just most reboots. Might be something to do with using CCleaner more than once in between reboots, I don't know.

Very annoying though, so good luck tracking down and fixing this issue!

KenN

• 3 weeks later...

Exact same problem here. First ever problem I encountered in my many years of using CCleaner.

Currently running 3.27.1900 on W8 Pro x64.

"To be kept" cookies are indeed kept after running a clean-up, but just until a restart of the computer. After that they are gone.

• 3 weeks later...