Defraggler 2.12.628 Display Error of Page File

super fast why would a cosmetic bug (something showing one color instead of another) cause you to downgrade. I can understand somebody who doesn't know computers thinking that it was a bug that means anything toward the function of the program, but honestly I expect more than that out of you.

I don't hate 2.12, it's just that I cannot see the pagefile without hunting it down manually, as opposed to the view presented in 2.11.

Don't worry though. Downgrading to 2.11 won't cause the end of the world, or chickens to die, or aliens to kidnap me!!! :P

I agree with Super Fast !

I have been working in computer industry since 1982.

I had un interresting discussion with one of our VP,

• For US people : Bugs are normal for a product.
  • For European and Japanese People: A bugged product can be dangerous.

This is what we might call a culture shock !

Version 2.12 has a NON-cosmetic defect.

With version 2.11 I can Analyse partition E:\ and distinguish the Pagefile.sys by its special colour.

I can then select the "Drive Map" Tab and observe coloured squares with legends such as "Not Fragmented" and "Page File"

When I click on the legend "Page File" I observe that ONLY the "Page File" cells in the mid-centre map retain their colours,

and all the other cells are greyed out.

When I click on the extreme left "Page File" cell a Highlighted TAB appears and displays :-

a 6 GB backup file in 12 fragments, and

a 8 GB Page File in 1 Fragment.

This particular cell overlaps a boundary.

On the right of this particular cell are 70 more beige cells and each is designated as part of the 8 GB Page File in 1 fragment.

When I Select the "Drive Map" and click on any one of the 6 legends from "Empty" through to "Reserved MFT"

then the corresponding cells retain their colours and all others, including the "Page File" cells, are greyed out.

With version 2.12 the main differences I observe are :-

The "Page File" now is not one beige colour as per the legend,

but the extreme left boundary overlap cell is coloured "Fragmented (Low Occupancy)" ;

the extreme right cell is "Not Fragmented (Low Occupancy)" ;

and all cells between are "Not Fragmented" ;

When I click on the Legend "Page File" then NOTHING is greyed out.

Version 2.11 knows the difference between "Page File" and all other cells,

and refrains from attempting to defrag Page File unless in Boot Defrag mode.

Version 2.12 does NOT know the difference between "Page File" and anything else when showing the Analyze Map,

and FAILS to grey out any cell with the legend "Page File" is clicked.

I suspect that version 2.12 may also fail to recognize "Page File" as a suitable target during Boot Defrag,

and might attempt to defrag "Page File" when running under Windows (not that Windows would allow it.)

I doubt that this "feature" will cause any damage, but it might waste time trying to move the immovable.

Um, one thing to notice is that since this display / read error of Pagefile.sys, I have fully defragmented it and it somehow moved the Pagefile.sys. Now, this is very odd because before when it properly read the Pagefile.sys, it could not move the pagefile without me setting the drive to have 0 pagefile, restarting the computer, then Fully Defragmenting the drive, then replacing the Pagefile.sys back to normal - which would then place it at the end of the drive files.

Someone else want to confirm this? I don't even understand how it's possible to occur in the first place.

Life may not be fair, but the least we can do is make games fair.

--Me

I love Dragons!!! :D

Um, one thing to notice is that since this display / read error of Pagefile.sys, I have fully defragmented it and it somehow moved the Pagefile.sys.

Someone else want to confirm this? I don't even understand how it's possible to occur in the first place.

As I previously stated :-

Documentation shows that Pagefile.sys is subject to a Boot Time Defrag.

http://www.piriform....oot-time-defrag

I wonder if this remains true, or if Boot Defrag now considers it as being just another non-special file.

and also

Version 2.12 has a NON-cosmetic defect.

I suspect that version 2.12 may also fail to recognize "Page File" as a suitable target during Boot Defrag,

and might attempt to defrag "Page File" when running under Windows (not that Windows would allow it.)

Your experience indicates that when NOT in Boot-Defrag mode

version 2.12 now considers Pagefile.sys as being just another non-special file which it is free to shuffle around.

I do however wonder if Windows really does allow Defraggler to shift the Pagefile.sys whilst under a normally running Windows with UAC in effect.

I have 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate + SP1 with UAC permanently disabled.

I have just tried to open Pagefile.sys with a binary file comparator and it failed with the expected error message that the file was in use.

I would expect Windows to absolutely prevent defragging or relocation of any file that was "In Use" - and Pagefile.sys should especially be protected.

Is it possible that Defraggler was deceived and NOT showing the reality but only what it thought had happened.

I have found that registry editors such as RegSeeker will search for keys and values that I stipulate,

and allow me to delete those items and confirm that they have been deleted - even when "Permissions" have prevented that action.

Before making a final judgement I suggest closing Defraggler, and then Launching again to Analyze and confirm whether Pagefile.sys has really moved.

And then closing down the computer and restarting and then using Defraggler Analyze to again confirm that the relocation persisted through a total Reboot.

I doubt that DF can be able to move the pagefile around if it's in use by the system. I think DF conforms to Windows defrag APIs.

I have my doubts also and suspect it was a temporary illusion, which is why I suggested checking whether it still appeared in the new position after a full restart.

I am sure that DF uses the approved defrag API's.

Even if DF was not using the API's I doubt that Windows would allow anything to meddle with its essential system files such as Pagefile,

Windows does not even allow me to read the Pagefile.

I have just launched CMD.EXE with administrative privileges and even icacls is not allowed to tell me anything about Pagefile.sys

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Alan>icacls E:\Pagefile.sys
E:\Pagefile.sys: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by
another process.
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

C:\Users\Alan>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes - I have also noticed this on my XP system with SP3. Kept changing the color even for the page file but no show. Plus like the other post explained when you click on the page file color to show block used it does not work either.

I am going back to previous version and see what happens...

Anyone from piriform got an answer ?

• Moderators
Anyone from piriform got an answer ?

the development team very rarely makes comments here in the forum.

only to ask for more information

they read all threads

I feel I said this in this thread already ;)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

the development team very rarely makes comments here in the forum.

only to ask for more information

they read all threads

I feel I said this in this thread already ;)

Well, I just wish there was an RSS feed update at least, because I posted this on the day of release for Defrag 2.12.826 and there still hasn't been a fix release yet or any news (to my knowledge) of it yet. I mean, seriously, it's just a display error - how hard is that to fix!?

Life may not be fair, but the least we can do is make games fair.

--Me

I love Dragons!!! :D

seriously, it's just a display error - how hard is that to fix!?

Seriously, how essential is it to be fixed, and how hard is it for you to go back to the previous version ?

Why not use the PRO version and then you qualify for feedback and information from the developers ?

• Moderators

Also, I believe that it was decided that I was wrong and that this was more than just a "display error"

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• 3 weeks later...

I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit sp1 and followed many suggestions but even after 3 tries and 24 hrs nothing is defragging but analysis says 74% of my files are fragged what to do. Also tried in standard disk defragmenter and nothing. Any advice if I can run in boot up and how to. I am not a techie so please keep it simple Thanks

• Moderators

jdolan, you need to start your own topic, your issue has nothing to do with this one (you can get older versions of piriform's products from the FileHippo download)